Regional Boards > Northwest

Old Concrete Mile Markers on Old Oregon 23/US 197

<< < (2/2)

xonhulu:

--- Quote ---Aside from the segment outside Tygh Valley I mentioned, I could've sworn that someone once say on here that there may be some along former US-97 in the Cow Canyon/OR-293 junction area. There is a sizeable abandoned portion there, so it would just be a matter of travel, exploration and time.
--- End quote ---

I know that section -- you can see it from the modern highway looking west, and it looks to be intact for a significant length, almost up to the rest area.  I think it would be pretty easy to access and explore.  In fact, looking at it on Google Earth, it's probably even drivable -- it doesn't look like there are any major breaks in the road surface or that private ownership would be an issue.

I know that there is a shorter drivable portion that cuts between US 97 and OR 293, because I've driven on it before.  If there were any vintage mileage markers along it, I didn't notice, but I probably wasn't looking for them, either.

JasonOfORoads:

--- Quote from: xonhulu on June 06, 2021, 12:42:32 AM ---I know that section -- you can see it from the modern highway looking west, and it looks to be intact for a significant length, almost up to the rest area.  I think it would be pretty easy to access and explore.  In fact, looking at it on Google Earth, it's probably even drivable -- it doesn't look like there are any major breaks in the road surface or that private ownership would be an issue.

--- End quote ---

I think part of it is drivable. However, from GSV along the main highway, there are some portions where a few inches of the asphalt hangs above the current highway because the ground has eroded away, so I would be a bit concerned with road stability in those sections. Also, I want to collect some more information on where the mileposts might have been placed on that section before exploring it. I have information on original mileposts along The Dalles-California Highway in Klamath County, but that's about it.

--- Quote from: xonhulu on June 06, 2021, 12:42:32 AM ---I know that there is a shorter drivable portion that cuts between US 97 and OR 293, because I've driven on it before.  If there were any vintage mileage markers along it, I didn't notice, but I probably wasn't looking for them, either.

--- End quote ---

I would definitely explore this portion as well. I would want to look at pretty much anything that isn't modern-day US-97, whether it's drivable or not. Even modern-day 97 might be hiding a marker somewhere, though I would imagine that road work would have caused most to have been removed.

If you do drive along that section again before I do and want to look for mileposts, they generally will be placed on the side of the road with increasing mileage. Every milepost I discovered on Tuesday was placed on the western side of the road, which would be to the right of the driver heading southbound. (Original MP 58 in the Gorge is also placed on the side with increasing mileage. Not sure about original MP 70, if it even still exists.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version