News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

I-99 Update (Williamsport PA to Corning NY)

Started by jemacedo9, August 20, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemacedo9

https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2012/2012--8-20

I just drove up US 15 today - I drive this stretch monthly.  The paving of the new US 15/I-99 is virtually complete - they are putting up guide rail, regular and exit signs, and milepost markers.  They have also begun  paving in the tie-in of southbound US 15 at the north end.  It also looks like, when heading northbound towards the north end of the two-lane section, they are going to utilize the old US 15, that was closed off years ago. 

Bridge piers are already being constructed.  I wasn't able to get any pics as it was raining pretty good.

And further to the south, this new sign was installed in US 15 north, just north of I-180 in Williamsport.  I don't know if the space to the right of the US 15 shield is intentionally there for a I-99 shield, or just an error.

agentsteel53

does that 15 shield have a black border around it?  didn't know PA was still doing that - I associate that shield style with demountable shields on non-reflective backgrounds, immediately after button-copy shields stopped being used.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

There shouldn't be a black border, but we need a less rainy photo to tell for sure. I think it's just artifacts of the way the photo was taken. And for the record, there are no errors besides a) use of Clearview and b) failure to put the exit arrow in the EXIT ONLY box.

jemacedo9

That shield does not have a black border. 

And PA seems to never put the exit arrow in the EXIT ONLY box.

mgk920

The only state that I know of that uses black borders around route shields on BGSs is Iowa.

Mike

NJRoadfan

Quote from: mgk920 on August 20, 2012, 11:07:17 PM
The only state that I know of that uses black borders around route shields on BGSs is Iowa.

New Jersey (specifically NJDOT) uses them religiously. The only cutouts are Interstate shields and the toll road logos. They used to post backplate versions of those from time to time too, along with county road pentagons.

TXtoNJ

Mike

Oklahoma does it from time to time, too.

Roadsguy

PennDOT puts the arrow in the EXIT ONLY tab if it's pointing down, like for an advance notice of the exit. They tend to use the up-right pointing arrow on the side at the actual exit point like they would any other exit, with the EXIT ONLY tab empty.

I never really knew that that wasn't really correct (or is it?) until now, and I've been drawing my BGSes that way on all my paper my-designs. (Featuring quarter-inch-wide lanes, no shoulders, and square corners at intersections, but still giving you the intended idea. :P)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 20, 2012, 08:36:41 PM
https://www.dot.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2012/2012--8-20

I just drove up US 15 today - I drive this stretch monthly.  The paving of the new US 15/I-99 is virtually complete - they are putting up guide rail, regular and exit signs, and milepost markers.  They have also begun  paving in the tie-in of southbound US 15 at the north end.  It also looks like, when heading northbound towards the north end of the two-lane section, they are going to utilize the old US 15, that was closed off years ago. 

Bridge piers are already being constructed.  I wasn't able to get any pics as it was raining pretty good.
Exit signs?  Where are they going to have exits on that stretch; Presho is exit 1, so I guess they'll have to renumber everything.

QuoteAnd further to the south, this new sign was installed in US 15 north, just north of I-180 in Williamsport.  I don't know if the space to the right of the US 15 shield is intentionally there for a I-99 shield, or just an error.

That would indeed be for I-99; PA is designing all their signs to accommodate it, even though it's unlikely to be designated any time soon (if ever) unless PA allows a gap.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Virginia also places arrows in relation to exit only panels as described above
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 20, 2012, 08:36:41 PMAnd further to the south, this new sign was installed in US 15 north, just north of I-180 in Williamsport.  I don't know if the space to the right of the US 15 shield is intentionally there for a I-99 shield, or just an error.

Given the Interstate - US - State Route hierarchy; I'm surprised that the blank for the I-99 shield (along w/its NORTH cardinal) isn't on the Left side of the BGS.

Quote from: Steve on August 20, 2012, 08:42:21 PMthere are no errors besides a) use of Clearview
FWIW, those BGS actually display the proper use of Clearview; street names and control destinations and nothing else in that font.  One may not like Clearview being used at all, but those BGS' are not erroneously using the font.

Personally (yes, I'm aware that this falls in the 'Fictional Highways' category); the section of US 15 slated to be designated as an Interstate should be I-186 instead of I-99.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

agentsteel53

Quote from: TXtoNJ on August 21, 2012, 06:48:47 AM

Mike

Oklahoma does it from time to time, too.

we might be conflating these two styles:

NJ is the only state I know that regularly puts their BGS shields on a black square background, while the black outline is used in many places, but primarily Iowa, Oklahoma, and New Mexico come to mind. 

sometimes, older shields have a black border and a white margin, similar to old-style stand-alone installations

that is obsolete by Montana standards, but I just saw some brand new signs in Arizona that had that style (I-40 eastbound approaching Kingman, with US-93 shields of that style)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: jemacedo9 on August 20, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

And further to the south, this new sign was installed in US 15 north, just north of I-180 in Williamsport.  I don't know if the space to the right of the US 15 shield is intentionally there for a I-99 shield, or just an error.

Some carbon copy action on the Foy Avenue / Lycoming Creek Road panel from the original sign bridge:

Mr_Northside

Quote from: deanej on August 21, 2012, 11:40:18 AM
QuoteAnd further to the south, this new sign was installed in US 15 north, just north of I-180 in Williamsport.  I don't know if the space to the right of the US 15 shield is intentionally there for a I-99 shield, or just an error.

That would indeed be for I-99; PA is designing all their signs to accommodate it, even though it's unlikely to be designated any time soon (if ever) unless PA allows a gap.

While I personally would bet a bunch of Monopoly money on there eventually being a gap (and this section designated), I do find it interesting that this section just has Exit tabs ready, but with no exit numbers........

But the freeway stretch in the section from I-80 to I-180 that will either hold up the signing of Williamsport <-> Corning, or be a gap in I-99, had a resigning project a couple of years ago that resulted in exit tabs and gore signage WITH I-99 exit numbers currently signed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bedford,+PA&daddr=40.82375,-77.86362+to:US-220+N&hl=en&ll=41.109575,-77.477367&spn=0.004624,0.022724&sll=41.080386,-77.312164&sspn=0.326595,0.727158&geocode=FQSjYgIdHSBS-ykjuzNGXFLKiTEM3_WEdxfG7A%3BFcbrbgIdPOVb-yl_yBbLRqbOiTEJyZqFuQnEAA%3BFWKHcwId8lVi-w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.10957,-77.477367&panoid=Qu2nVCSBfnETVQrrzbPR2g&cbp=12,55.24,,0,-5.61

I'm also pretty sure someone has actual (non-streetview) pics of the new signs /W I-99 Exit #'s.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadsguy

The really old tab-in-the-center signs on the US 220 freeway pieces from Williamsport southwest to I-80 have empty tabs from back when that would have been more of 180(?).
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alex on August 21, 2012, 03:53:58 PM

Some carbon copy action on the Foy Avenue / Lycoming Creek Road panel from the original sign bridge:

I find it a bit ironic that the older BGS' do not include a pull-through sign whereas the new BGS' include one.  It's usually the other way around.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jemacedo9

Exit signs?  Where are they going to have exits on that stretch; Presho is exit 1, so I guess they'll have to renumber everything.

The exit sign I saw posted was for Exit 1 - Presho, on NB 15.  There aren't going to be any new exits on this new portion.  (From the existing US 15, I could see the sign looking up the hill at the new roadway.)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 21, 2012, 12:28:56 PM
Given the Interstate - US - State Route hierarchy; I'm surprised that the blank for the I-99 shield (along w/its NORTH cardinal) isn't on the Left side of the BGS.
Unless they're putting them in numerical order regardless of classification.  That practice seems relatively common.  Those examples from Montana and New Mexico upthread are evidence.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NE2

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 21, 2012, 06:52:16 PM
Unless they're putting them in numerical order regardless of classification.  That practice seems relatively common.  Those examples from Montana and New Mexico upthread are evidence.
No they're not. I-40 goes before US 66 either way, and east generally goes before to.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

LeftyJR

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 21, 2012, 04:04:41 PM

While I personally would bet a bunch of Monopoly money on there eventually being a gap (and this section designated), I do find it interesting that this section just has Exit tabs ready, but with no exit numbers........

But the freeway stretch in the section from I-80 to I-180 that will either hold up the signing of Williamsport <-> Corning, or be a gap in I-99, had a resigning project a couple of years ago that resulted in exit tabs and gore signage WITH I-99 exit numbers currently signed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Bedford,+PA&daddr=40.82375,-77.86362+to:US-220+N&hl=en&ll=41.109575,-77.477367&spn=0.004624,0.022724&sll=41.080386,-77.312164&sspn=0.326595,0.727158&geocode=FQSjYgIdHSBS-ykjuzNGXFLKiTEM3_WEdxfG7A%3BFcbrbgIdPOVb-yl_yBbLRqbOiTEJyZqFuQnEAA%3BFWKHcwId8lVi-w&t=h&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=11&via=1&z=16&layer=c&cbll=41.10957,-77.477367&panoid=Qu2nVCSBfnETVQrrzbPR2g&cbp=12,55.24,,0,-5.61

I'm also pretty sure someone has actual (non-streetview) pics of the new signs /W I-99 Exit #'s.

The recently resurfaced section of US 220 in Clinton County has I-99 mile markers, but the overhead signs do NOT have space for a 99 shield.  Seems like a miscommunication between PennDot districts 3 and 2.  I'd assume they're going to sign it with a few small gaps - at two spots with I-80 and the six miles of US 220 between Jersey Shore and Williamsport.

NJRoadfan

Is I-99 following US-220 all the way up to the US-15/I-180 interchange (just south of the pictured signs)? If so, do they plan on rebuilding that interchange with more direct ramps? The current US-220N to US-15N ramp is a pretty tight loop.

vdeane

No idea.  The idea of interstates exiting themselves seems to have fallen out of favor though.

Quote from: LeftyJR on September 08, 2012, 07:53:10 PM
The recently resurfaced section of US 220 in Clinton County has I-99 mile markers, but the overhead signs do NOT have space for a 99 shield.  Seems like a miscommunication between PennDot districts 3 and 2.  I'd assume they're going to sign it with a few small gaps - at two spots with I-80 and the six miles of US 220 between Jersey Shore and Williamsport.
They probably just replaced the milemarkers with the resurfacing but not the signs.  I've seen that happen before in NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 08, 2012, 08:37:12 PM
Is I-99 following US-220 all the way up to the US-15/I-180 interchange (just south of the pictured signs)? If so, do they plan on rebuilding that interchange with more direct ramps? The current US-220N to US-15N ramp is a pretty tight loop.

I think the original plan was to upgrade & utilize current US-220.  But I don't know if there is an answer to that question anymore.  I think the plans were pretty preliminary when it got put into "deferred" limbo. 
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

qguy

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 10, 2012, 01:58:13 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 08, 2012, 08:37:12 PM
I think the original plan was to upgrade & utilize current US-220.  But I don't know if there is an answer to that question anymore.  I think the plans were pretty preliminary when it got put into "deferred" limbo.

I worked for PennDOT from 2000 to 2010. The plans for I-99 from I-80 at Exit 178 to the I-180/US 15 interchange were deferred by then-Gov. Rendell and then-Secretary of Transportation Biehler.

PennDOT District 3 had identified a preferred alternate for the freeway gap (along US 220) just west of Williamsport. (To say they were pretty steamed by the decision to defer the project would be a wild understatement.) They hadn't begun to study yet in earnest the gap from I-80 at Exit 178 to US 220 at Salona. Similarly, they had not yet seriously considered whether or not (or how) the I-180/US 15 interchange should be reconfigured.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 21, 2012, 04:04:41 PM

I have some going SB on US-220 in that area, but I don't think I ever posted them online.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.