The Most Interesting Stretches of Highway

Started by adventurernumber1, May 04, 2018, 06:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 03, 2020, 07:58:25 AM
On the whole, Indiana's highways are not terribly interesting.

They're still pretty boring, but I have developed a little affection for some of the rural roads in NE Indiana, e.g. US 6 & 20. I've always found them to be pleasant drives, with a mix of farmland and town centers, everything from rural 2-lane to urban 4-lane freeway cross sections as you go west, and a surprisingly high volume of horses & buggies.

Maybe they're only interesting in comparison to the mind-numbing dullness of the Toll Road though...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

X99

SD 44 west of Rapid City, despite being surrounded by houses most of the way, is still a nice scenic route. Then there's US 16A- despite never driving it, I still find it interesting, especially the one-lane tunnels and the tunnel that frames Mount Rushmore. As for routes I've actually driven other than 44, Moon Meadows Drive and Norris Peak Road are pretty high on my list.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

TheGrassGuy

Metro Manila Skyway, Philippines. Specifically the section south of Buendia Avenue. 3 sets of lanes per direction: a set of express controlled-access lanes (which don't show up on Google Maps but do on GSV due to it being kind of outdated), a set of local controlled-access lanes, and a set of at-grade service roads. Expressways that divide into two sets of carriageways are very common (I-95 section of NJTP, I-78 from NJ-24 to the NJTP, GSP in Monmouth County), but examples of them being accompanied by service roads are very rare, being mostly confined to Texas (I-90/94 south of I-55 in Chicago is the only other example that comes to mind). And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

kphoger

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 04, 2020, 03:46:03 PM
And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.

Austin, TX, jumped immediately to mind.  I-35 just north of downtown has elevated express lanes, sunken local lanes, and at-grade frontage lanes.  I-35 in San Antonio, too, has a similar setup on the north side of downtown.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2020, 04:33:03 PM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 04, 2020, 03:46:03 PM
And even in Texas, it usually only goes up to 2 and a half per direction, as over there (at least in Dallas and Houston) they tend to cram the express (really HOV or HOT) lanes into one striped or reversible lane.

Austin, TX, jumped immediately to mind.  I-35 just north of downtown has elevated express lanes, sunken local lanes, and at-grade frontage lanes.  I-35 in San Antonio, too, has a similar setup on the north side of downtown.
Up in NYC, there's a similar arrangement for how the upper and lower levels of the GW Bridge (I-95, US-1, US-9) are arranged, only without the service roads.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

silveradoman298

I've always enjoyed US 23 from Ashland, KY down thru Duffield, VA and beyond. US 119 in eastern Kentucky has always been a favorite. US 64 & US 74 West of Ashville, NC has very pretty scenery too along with some roadside waterfalls. US60 from Charleston, WV to White Sulphur Springs, WV is a good one too. As well as US 219 and US 33 in West Virginia.

One that I still want to do is US460 in its entirety.
"Call me a prisoner of the highway
Driven on by my restless soul
I'm a prisoner of the highway
Imprisoned by the freedom of the road"

fillup420

US 74 from Chattanooga to Asheville is a great drive. lots of scenery, neat towns, and a plethora of other route concurrencies. US 19, 129, 64, 23, 441, and NC 28.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: fillup420 on February 14, 2020, 10:37:20 AM
US 74 from Chattanooga to Asheville is a great drive. lots of scenery, neat towns, and a plethora of other route concurrencies. US 19, 129, 64, 23, 441, and NC 28.

NC-28 west of US 19 to US 129 is an awesome mountain road.  I kind of prefer to the Dragon part of US 129 since it doesn't have that whole Biker Boyz crowd on it usually. 

thspfc

Colorado's I-70 tops my list.

In my own area, I-90/94 from WI-60 at Lodi to WI-33 at Cascade Mountain is a surprisingly beautiful drive. Especially around sunset on clear days, when the sun dropping below the rolling hills casts a dramatic shadow on the highway.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 03, 2020, 09:29:49 AM

They're still pretty boring, but I have developed a little affection for some of the rural roads in NE Indiana, e.g. US 6 & 20. I've always found them to be pleasant drives, with a mix of farmland and town centers, everything from rural 2-lane to urban 4-lane freeway cross sections as you go west, and a surprisingly high volume of horses & buggies.

Maybe they're only interesting in comparison to the mind-numbing dullness of the Toll Road though...

US 30 from Mansfield, OH to Valparaiso is a nice drive in the same vein.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

KEVIN_224

I always used to enjoy US Route 20, heading west out of Pittsfield, MA and into Columbia County, NY...on the way to Albany.

interstate73

Personally I love NJ-3 heading inbound towards Manhattan. Always lots of activity, all the businesses along the side of the road (including Tick Tock Diner!) and then you breach the hill right before the Passaic Road exit and you have the entire Manhattan skyline laid out in front of you, and it's especially beautiful at night. Then you still get to see Metlife/American Dream, the Meadowlands, and of course the Helix and associated Manhattan views. Not as nature-oriented but I'm a huge city-nerd so it really hits the right spot for me!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Bruce

I-90 from Seattle to Cle Elum has it all.

The floating bridges and tunnels on both sides are engineering feats. Great views of the dual skylines of Seattle and Bellevue. Some complex interchanges with I-5, Bellevue Way, and I-405. Plenty of activity thanks to light rail construction happening on this section.

And then, beyond North Bend, it's pure natural beauty with a sprinkling of mountain engineering.

D-Dey65

Quote from: freebrickproductions on May 16, 2018, 11:51:54 PM
I have to kinda agree. For me, scenic doesn't always mean interesting. For example, one could argue that I-81 through Virginia is scenic along parts of it, but if I had to choose between the scenic parts of I-81 and I-65 through Birmingham, I'd take I-65 through Birmingham over those scenic parts of I-81 any day of the week.
I've never been on I-65 anywhere, let alone in Birmingham. But the one thing I noticed and like about I-81 in Virginia is the opportunity to drive above the clouds.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 16, 2020, 12:17:29 AM

Yeah but it really badly needs bypasses of the 3 towns between Valpo and Fort Wayne. And the Ohio portion moves nicely (70 mph on a non-freeway!) but can be a bit of a snoozefest.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on February 16, 2020, 10:29:33 PM
I-90 from Seattle to Cle Elum has it all.

The floating bridges and tunnels on both sides are engineering feats. Great views of the dual skylines of Seattle and Bellevue. Some complex interchanges with I-5, Bellevue Way, and I-405. Plenty of activity thanks to light rail construction happening on this section.

And then, beyond North Bend, it's pure natural beauty with a sprinkling of mountain engineering.
I have driven to Seattle and back one time. I would love to do it again since it would give me the chance of driving in Washington again. I loved that.

roadman65

US 19 & 98 from Lebanon Station to Chiefland in Levy County, FL.  It goes over 20 miles without a curve and good sight lines to see the entire way. There is, though, one curve 3 miles north of Lebanon.

US 27 in the Everglades is interesting to me as it is straight for sections and perfect grade.

US 202 from Somerville, NJ to Flemington, NJ was once nice to drive before all the extra stoplights got added from 1987 to the present.  It was great to drive that without stopping as in NJ it is hard to find non freeways that go for miles without stopping at a light!  US 46 from Buttzville to Hackettstown though is neat as it is only two lanes (as most of US 46 is either divided and heavily used or two lanes with slow traffic, hence Rockaway) and its an 11 mile signal free route (unless recently they added more stoplights in Great Meadows or Vienna).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2020, 10:08:27 PM
US 19 & 98 from Lebanon Station to Chiefland in Levy County, FL.  It goes over 20 miles without a curve and good sight lines to see the entire way. There is, though, one curve 3 miles north of Lebanon.
Is that tree-lined median still intact? And is that old steam locomotive in Gulf Hammock still on display on the northwest corner of CR 326?

Finrod

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on February 16, 2020, 12:17:29 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on February 03, 2020, 09:29:49 AM

I like the section of SR 234 where it goes through Shades State Park.  I also have an affection for old 47 between Crawfordsville and Garfield, and old 55 from Crawfordsville to Wingate.  Also, SR 59 through Waveland and its concurrence with SR 236.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

ozarkman417

I have found US-160 Between MO-125 and MO-13 to be one of the most interesting roads in the state of Missouri. In this section, it is elevated on a ridge, so the Boston Mountains can be seen in the distance in places, and the road is quite crooked. This section is often is located next to bluffs of the White River, especially near Forsyth, which is excessively monitored by the cops.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on February 19, 2020, 10:08:27 PM

US 27 in the Everglades is interesting to me as it is straight for sections and perfect grade.

Speaking of levee roads one that is criminally underrated for scenery and scenic as all hell is CA 160 from I-5 south to CA 4.  The leeve system along the Sacramento River is pretty much ancient and almost every life bridge is barely wide enough for two vehicles. 

ftballfan

TN 52 and TN 111 have to be up there after driving on stretches of them last week

mgk920

For me, I would say that the most interesting highways in Wisconsin include US 10 between I-41 and I-94, WI 23 east of Fond du Lac and all of WI 35 and US 151.  WI 29 between I-41 and I-94 is also a very interesting drive.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.