News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Ghost ramps in Downtown St. Louis?

Started by billtm, June 14, 2014, 01:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billtm

If you look on the Google Maps Satellite imagery for exit 38 on I-64 in St Louis, it looks like a highway was supposed to go there. Does anyone know if a highway was supposed to be there and if there was, what was its name and where was it supposed to go? :confused:

Edit: Its actually exit 38B eastbound and exit 39 westbound.

amroad17

I think it was supposed to be for the proposed (now scrapped) I/MO 755.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alex

Yes, they were built for the scuttled North South Distributor Freeway (Missouri 755).

A later plan would have used them for the 22nd Street Parkway, an at-grade route north to Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. It was cancelled in 2003.

Revive 755

^ I think the 22nd Street Parkway (really a boulevard) is one of those off and on projects - IIRC it was proposed again with the Northside redevelopment, which would also reconfigure this the US 40 interchange into full diamond with one-way outer roads connecting to the ramps at Jefferson.

There may have also been a ghost section for the N-S Distributor under I-70 500 feet north of Branch Street.  The 1998 imagery in Google Earth has an angled bridge on I-70 with the roadway underneath oddly curving.  The bridge was removed when I-70 was reconstructed back around the turn of the century.

amroad17

I like how many people are now saying "the turn of the century."  :D  It is far enough into this century to say this.

Henry

Quote from: amroad17 on June 16, 2014, 03:45:30 AM
I like how many people are now saying "the turn of the century."  :D  It is far enough into this century to say this.
"Turn of the millennium" would be more appropriate for this period, as I find "turn of the century" to be rather old-fashioned by comparison.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

amroad17

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.