News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2024, 02:25:32 AM
I came across the term "pick six" during a football game a few days ago and its existence irritates me. The phrase "pick six" (or PK6 if you're short on space) was first used in horse racing; it is a bet where you pick the winners of six consecutive races. A football pick six has nothing to do with picking six of anything, it's just an interception returned for a touchdown. Just call it that, or if you're going to come up with a cute term for it, at least have the good sense to pick a term that's not already being used by another sport for something totally unrelated.

Unfortunately once a term enters NFL parlance, it probably tends to overpower any other usages. I for one had never heard of it in a horse racing context before reading this.

However, it is worth noting that "pick" has long been used as a term for interception, and six is of course the number of points earned when it's returned for a touchdown, so it does have a perfectly logical meaning in an NFL context even if the term was already in use in horse racing.

Bruce

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 08, 2024, 03:24:31 PM
I'm not sure even a regular SportsCenter viewer would learn any of MLS's top players just from watching that show alone.

SportsCenter spent decades punching down at soccer and even if they deigned to cover the sport it was always at the expense of the domestic game. It's no surprise that they're a factor in why MLS struggled despite having ABC and ESPN slots for years and years.

ran4sh

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 08, 2024, 01:43:35 PM
Quote from: Bruce on January 08, 2024, 12:55:51 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on January 07, 2024, 08:28:25 PM
I knew someone would attempt to defend it.

(And why should an American soccer fan watch MLS, other than actually attending the game in person? Unlike the other American sports leagues, MLS doesn't have the world's best football/soccer players. So of course Americans who are used to watching the best basketball, best hockey, etc will watch foreign leagues to watch the best soccer.)

Because I like watching things at normal times of the day and can feel a real connection to Seattle vs. Austin more than Bolton vs. Burnley. By your logic, we should stop watching anything in the minor leagues or in college sports because it's not "the best". Heck, just scrap everything and only watch the World Cup.

(By the way, the Sounders and another US team will be playing for the 2025 Club World Cup, against the other continental champions, which will be far more exciting than watching the same bloated Euro superteams play for the 111th time this year.)

Another big incentive: as MLS improves, so does the US national team. Without a strong domestic league and academies to raise talent, the team will not be able to make deep runs into the World Cup. Much of the 2022 roster originated from MLS academies and were allowed to incubate at home as young players before moving to Europe (or even returning).

I'm a big proponent of the MLS as well, really enjoying my time following Sporting KC when I lived there. But, I must admit, that I followed it for the "locality" more than for the soccer. Case in point, I live in Colorado now and the Rapids are not a big deal here at all, the team isn't very good, and when I've gone to games, the game day feel was 10% of what an SKC game is/was like. So, since it's not all that attractive of a product without the atmosphere and conviviality, I don't really follow it much anymore. Whereas, I follow the EPL intently and have a passing interest in the Bundesliga, La Liga, etc.

Also, for the record, World Cup football is much worse than club football. The product overall isn't, since everyone pulls for different countries, but the actual product on the field isn't nearly as good since these guys don't play together all the time.

I agree. I kind of wish the club World Cup were more popular than the national-team based World Cup. I'm much more interested in club football. For the reason you stated, plus the fact that players can just play for a club without affecting their nationality (as it would if it were national teams)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 08, 2024, 09:36:51 PM
... if Kirkenes beats Chernihiv or whatever, what's that got to do with me?

Not really any less than if Tulsa beats Wichita.  It's not like you're on the team.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on January 08, 2024, 09:54:39 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 02, 2024, 02:25:32 AM
I came across the term "pick six" during a football game a few days ago and its existence irritates me. The phrase "pick six" (or PK6 if you're short on space) was first used in horse racing; it is a bet where you pick the winners of six consecutive races. A football pick six has nothing to do with picking six of anything, it's just an interception returned for a touchdown. Just call it that, or if you're going to come up with a cute term for it, at least have the good sense to pick a term that's not already being used by another sport for something totally unrelated.

Unfortunately once a term enters NFL parlance, it probably tends to overpower any other usages. I for one had never heard of it in a horse racing context before reading this.

However, it is worth noting that "pick" has long been used as a term for interception, and six is of course the number of points earned when it's returned for a touchdown, so it does have a perfectly logical meaning in an NFL context even if the term was already in use in horse racing.

It may make sense, but I imagine it gets confusing as hell to tellers who have to handle both NFL and OTB bets. (I'm glad that sports betting wasn't legal in Oklahoma when I was an OTB teller.)

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 12:49:30 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 08, 2024, 09:36:51 PM
... if Kirkenes beats Chernihiv or whatever, what's that got to do with me?

Not really any less than if Tulsa beats Wichita.  It's not like you're on the team.

Well, true. But at least with places that you're familiar with, you can decide who to root for based on arbitrary things you associate with each team's location (maybe you root for Wichita because the highways are better there, or you root for Tulsa because you don't like how many airplane factories there are in Wichita, or you do or don't like the governor of the state one of the teams is based in, etc.). If it's two teams you know nothing about, you're kind of reduced to things like which team's jersey or mascot you like better or that you don't like one of the players' haircut or whatever.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 10, 2024, 12:43:25 AM
But at least with places that you're familiar with, you can decide who to root for based on arbitrary things you associate with each team's location

If it's two teams you know nothing about, you're kind of reduced to things like which team's jersey or mascot you like better or that you don't like one of the players' haircut or whatever.

"Things I associate with each team's location" seems just about as arbitrary a reason to root for a team as jersey color.  I mean, you specifically mentioned not liking the governor, and that's just as likely to change in a few years as the jersey colors—and much more likely to change than the mascot.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

The thing with MLS is it's never been able to be driven by homegrown stars into casual public consciousness. I admit I don't follow MLS but just from osmosis I learn things about NASCAR, golf, and other sports I don't watch.

70+ years ago, all professional teams were just primarily local clubs, so lots of it was just local talent. Nowadays, they might have open tryouts, which gives people the ability to dream about playing for their favorite team, but homegrown talent doesn't just go play for their favorite squad. I guess that's a big problem for a new league; there's not a lot of history behind it and the teams' histories only go back so far. Repeated success builds that history, I suppose.

The other sports you mentioned; golf isn't a team sport, so you just develop your own talents and get noticed (I guess?), and NASCAR sort of works on the same premise; the driver develops their own talents, but with a ton more of a "team" behind them. At least in the latter, if a driver can't find a team they want to work with (either their talent/sponsorship dried up or nobody wants to deal with their emotional baggage), drivers could do something athletes really can't do in other team sports; raise a ton of money and create an all-new team with talent and sponsorship. 

JayhawkCO

Even international soccer doesn't have a ton of the "local kid makes good" stories. Man City, arguably the best football club on the planet has one regular player from Manchester (Phil Foden). In the MLS, the only KC-born and bred player that Sporting had was Matt Besler, and he's a club legend because of it. He started world cup matches, but he didn't exactly drive the popularity of the league.

Bruce

MLS has a Homegrown Player program that does produce talent that plays for local teams. For the Sounders alone, we have had several starters who grew up in the Seattle area, including USMNT players like Jordan Morris. By largely forgoing the college process in recent times, MLS is tapping into local talent while also mixing in international fringe players (primarily from Central and South America). It's a fun mix and there are plenty of club legends already born out of MLS teams. The mainstream media just doesn't care to tell those narratives because they don't see what they can reap financially from it (especially now that Apple has locked down all streaming rights worldwide).

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: formulanone on January 10, 2024, 03:04:19 PM
The thing with MLS is it's never been able to be driven by homegrown stars into casual public consciousness. I admit I don't follow MLS but just from osmosis I learn things about NASCAR, golf, and other sports I don't watch.

70+ years ago, all professional teams were just primarily local clubs, so lots of it was just local talent. Nowadays, they might have open tryouts, which gives people the ability to dream about playing for their favorite team, but homegrown talent doesn't just go play for their favorite squad. I guess that's a big problem for a new league; there's not a lot of history behind it and the teams' histories only go back so far. Repeated success builds that history, I suppose.

The other sports you mentioned; golf isn't a team sport, so you just develop your own talents and get noticed (I guess?), and NASCAR sort of works on the same premise; the driver develops their own talents, but with a ton more of a "team" behind them. At least in the latter, if a driver can't find a team they want to work with (either their talent/sponsorship dried up or nobody wants to deal with their emotional baggage), drivers could do something athletes really can't do in other team sports; raise a ton of money and create an all-new team with talent and sponsorship. 

I think my point was misunderstood.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

Publicizing Taylor Swift showing up at NFL games. Who the heck cares! So she's involved with a player. So she's joined the rest of the celebrity world in dating another celebrity.

Big deal. :banghead:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 29, 2024, 11:14:03 PM
One of the comedy NFL accounts I follow:

"Kind of happy the super bowl will be ruined for millions of the most annoying guy you know who turns into a gremlin when they show Taylor for 2 seconds in the booth."

bing101

Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2024, 04:26:33 PM
Publicizing Taylor Swift showing up at NFL games. Who the heck cares! So she's involved with a player. So she's joined the rest of the celebrity world in dating another celebrity.

Big deal. :banghead:
Hey if you know any 49ers fans let's run with this song.

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 30, 2024, 04:36:02 PM

"Kind of happy the super bowl will be ruined for millions of the most annoying guy you know who turns into a gremlin when they show Taylor for 2 seconds in the booth."
[snip]

Ah yes, those annoyed at seeing Taylor Swift for a sum total of 15 seconds during a game, but are totally okay with an over-bloated 30 minute halftime show.

SP Cook

The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  This is why they play games in Europe, and next year, South America, so they can be shown in US mornings.  This is why they play game on Thursday, Monday, holidays, etc.

They have maxed out the people that what to watch football.  So they did a study.  Who doesn't watch a lot of football?  White women between 15-35.  So suddenly there is this "romance" between a pop singer and some player, both of which managed to make it into their 30s without marrying anyone.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  From this start we now get shots of various other girlfriends, some I'm sure real, of different players. 

And it worked, at least to my perception.  In my little group the women have put down their phones and are watching the games.

And it is all faker than wrestling.

thspfc

Quote from: SP Cook on January 31, 2024, 09:05:40 AM
The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  This is why they play games in Europe, and next year, South America, so they can be shown in US mornings.  This is why they play game on Thursday, Monday, holidays, etc.

They have maxed out the people that what to watch football.  So they did a study.  Who doesn't watch a lot of football?  White women between 15-35.  So suddenly there is this "romance" between a pop singer and some player, both of which managed to make it into their 30s without marrying anyone.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.  From this start we now get shots of various other girlfriends, some I'm sure real, of different players. 

And it worked, at least to my perception.  In my little group the women have put down their phones and are watching the games.

You say this like it's some far-flung conspiracy theory. It's incredibly obvious that the league is using this relationship to print money. And I don't understand why that's a problem.

If you're suggesting that the relationship itself is fake, no it's not. Taylor is too big a celebrity for them to be able to pull that off.

kphoger

Why is nobody considering the possibility that Swift already liked football, but that attending actual games is only because her sweetie is on the field?
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2024, 06:37:08 PM

[snip]

Ah yes, those annoyed at seeing Taylor Swift for a sum total of 15 seconds during a game, but are totally okay with an over-bloated 30 minute halftime show.

Is the reasoning behind it. Every time a celebrity does something romantic with another celebrity it has tabloids following them. For example when John Mayer was involved with Jennifer Anniston, some morning DJ was giving us a play by play on both their dating and sex life. I'm mean I could care less, but then it made me see how much of a slut Jennifer is and how the musician must of had a big ego screwing the popular female actress. Considering Jennifer only dates other celebs and has a bad track record with them, it makes me feel she's trash and only glamorous on the outside.

I think we are all weary of Hollywood and Music industry dating. I have to say hats off to Mark Harmon who tells gossip media to leave him and Pam Dawber alone.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CtrlAltDel

The NFL owners are greedy old men.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'm not sure that's true.

My own theory is the NFL fan base has some animosity toward Swift because she is a prominent outsider to that fan base.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 31, 2024, 01:02:03 PM

My own theory is the NFL fan base has some animosity toward Swift because she is a prominent outsider to that fan base.

It's not the entire NFL fan base. It's a segment that is both threatened by strong women who don't share their views and prone to believing ridiculous conspiracy theories over simple explanations.

Her music isn't' something that I'm into, but I'm not at all bothered by her presence.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

If the NFL was rigged the Lions wouldn't have choked away the NFC Championship game.  The majority of the NFL fanbase wanted them in the Super Bowl and it would have generated a ton of interest for the casual fan.

bing101

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on January 31, 2024, 01:33:43 PM

It's not the entire NFL fan base. It's a segment that is both threatened by strong women who don't share their views and prone to believing ridiculous conspiracy theories over simple explanations.

Her music isn't' something that I'm into, but I'm not at all bothered by her presence.
Agreed and I'm a 49ers fan and it's crazy to watch political pundits make Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce a political issue over Travis Kelce's appearance in a PSA to get vaccinated.

https://www.newsweek.com/taylor-swift-travis-kelce-should-executed-christian-commentator-1830763

GaryV

Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2024, 03:09:06 PM

Agreed and I'm a 49ers fan and it's crazy to watch political pundits make Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce a political issue over Travis Kelce's appearance in a PSA to get vaccinated.

https://www.newsweek.com/taylor-swift-travis-kelce-should-executed-christian-commentator-1830763

Just think, 5 years ago this person might have been complaining about them "living in sin".

bing101

Quote from: GaryV on January 31, 2024, 03:15:42 PM
Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2024, 03:09:06 PM

Just think, 5 years ago this person might have been complaining about them "living in sin".

https://www.newsweek.com/tomi-lahren-taylor-swift-remark-travis-kelce-pfizer-uproar-1829566
Ok then. Let's bring Football to be about Joe Montana picks to win the Superbowl. Yes this is given that Montana was known for his time with the 49ers and the Chiefs when he was with the NFL.

SectorZ

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2024, 06:37:08 PM

[snip]

I think the Venn diagram of people who are sick of Taylor and people who hate the Superbowl halftime is just one circle.

Each is going after the lowest common denominator of musical taste.

For over a decade I watched Tom Brady play for the Patriots while married to Gisele Bündchen, and I can count on ten fingers how many times she was shown on TV, and she was around for over a decade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.