News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

No gas!

Started by tolbs17, May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJRoadfan

No shortages or price increases here in NJ, but I suppose all those refineries, pipelines, and marine fuel terminals have something to do with it. After all the Colonial Pipeline ends/begins here.

Takumi

Still some stations out today, but for the most part it's back to normal.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Takumi on May 15, 2021, 09:43:52 PM

That's good to hear. I can't imagine what would (could) happen if it had been nationwide. Panic-buying is usually though not always the cause of the perceived shortage, rather than any real shortage.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 16, 2021, 09:50:43 AM

That's good to hear. I can't imagine what would (could) happen if it had been nationwide. Panic-buying is usually though not always the cause of the perceived shortage, rather than any real shortage.

Read up on what happened in the 1970s. Gas rationing; specific days based on license plate numbers, etc. Fuel prices about 3 times higher than what they had been averaging.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 16, 2021, 10:11:34 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 16, 2021, 09:50:43 AM

Read up on what happened in the 1970s. Gas rationing; specific days based on license plate numbers, etc. Fuel prices about 3 times higher than what they had been averaging.

Plus there was less efficient cars rolling around at every market segment back then.  So much is different going back to the 1970s with cars that it is hard to draw an apples to apples comparison to what happened this year.  The worst cars in terms of efficiency had big block V8s and potentially have mileage in the low teens or on a bad day single digits.  Even compact cars back then had things like small displacement V8s or large displacement straight sixes topped with really inefficient carburetors. 

tolbs17

58% in North Carolina. Better than last week but still bad.

kkt

WillWeaverRVA

Yeah, I was out and about over the weekend and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the panic buying settled down after the pipeline restarted.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM
Quote from: plain on May 14, 2021, 07:35:50 PM
Nationwide?  Try 1973 and 1979, not anytime in the 2000s.

I was referring to gas prices spiking in the 2000's, not embargoes

There was totally a run on gasoline on 9/11 and the day after.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 17, 2021, 04:53:14 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM
Quote from: plain on May 14, 2021, 07:35:50 PM
Nationwide?  Try 1973 and 1979, not anytime in the 2000s.

I was referring to gas prices spiking in the 2000's, not embargoes

There was totally a run on gasoline on 9/11 and the day after.

Didn't experience a shortage going to the pumps that evening (we topped off our two cars which were vaguely half-full), but in the next few days prices dropped. So it was a silly decision on a budget.

If you really want to see a line, wait 3-5 days after a hurricane and power isn't fully restored to the area. One-mile lines were not unheard of in South Florida, have to imagine it's similar for other areas, especially those where backup generators are not common. (Florida has anti-gouging laws that usually go in effect after a State of Emergency declaration.)

Bruce

Gas prices in my neck of the woods have increased about 25 cents since the pipeline hack began. Could be related to the shortage, or prepping for the summer fuel mix...either way, I'm really tempted to find an electric vehicle for the sake of long-term stability.

tolbs17

Quote from: Bruce on May 17, 2021, 07:52:26 PM
Gas prices in my neck of the woods have increased about 25 cents since the pipeline hack began. Could be related to the shortage, or prepping for the summer fuel mix...either way, I'm really tempted to find an electric vehicle for the sake of long-term stability.
Definitely trying to encourage that it looks like.

Brandon

That is, until the power goes out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on May 18, 2021, 06:35:19 AM

One of the worst things about the whole gas panic was all the EV owners getting all South Park Smug Episode for a day or two. 

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 18, 2021, 07:56:46 AM

One of the worst things about the whole gas panic was all the EV owners getting all South Park Smug Episode for a day or two.

A co-worker had to make a quick trip to North Carolina over the weekend because his mother-in-law was on her deathbed and they called the family in to say farewell to her. He called me yesterday to request a press release on a road closure, and told me he'd been down south. I asked him about the availability of gas. He said the biggest problem was the lines of customers waiting at the pumps spilling out onto the highway. He'd gotten gas on the way down, and said he had enough gas to get back to the Ft. Chiswell/Wytheville area on the return trip, but he said that he saw lots of stations that were out of gas and diesel -- and many places had also turned off their electric vehicle charging stations as well. That didn't make any sense. Was the logic "if traditional vehicle drivers have to suffer, then EV drivers have to suffer too?"

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

Most gas pumps would be out in that scenario as well.

My local provider (Snohomish PUD) rarely has multi-day outages for my area, so charging at home wouldn't be much of a problem.

Brandon

Quote from: Bruce on May 18, 2021, 08:01:10 PM

My local provider (Snohomish PUD) rarely has multi-day outages for my area, so charging at home wouldn't be much of a problem.

Yes, but you can bring gasoline back from places with power.  Can you charge your car and bring it back from a couple hundred miles away?  You can't just pop a couple of Energizers in a Tesla.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Avalanchez71

They do make some plug in hybrids that could go gas or electric and also gas/electric.  I test drove a couple of used ones and they weren't sufficiently charged to see how they drive and handle under full electric conditions.  I went ahead a purchased a new full electric vehicle.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2021, 02:13:06 PM
.... He'd gotten gas on the way down, and said he had enough gas to get back to the Ft. Chiswell/Wytheville area on the return trip, but he said that he saw lots of stations that were out of gas and diesel -- and many places had also turned off their electric vehicle charging stations as well. That didn't make any sense. Was the logic "if traditional vehicle drivers have to suffer, then EV drivers have to suffer too?"

I wonder whether some gas stations might turn off the EV chargers out of concern that some of the dumber motorists on the road won't mentally process that those are EVs, turn in to buy gas, and then start causing trouble when they're told they can't buy gas. On the whole that's a bit silly, but I also don't think it's totally far-fetched. Never underestimate the number of really stupid people out there on the roads. (In my mind, whether that makes sense might also depend on whether the gas station has a convenience store that the owner wants to keep open as an income stream. If the store stays open, you're still going to get some stupid people screaming and yelling about wanting to buy gas, but it doesn't make sense to turn off the EV chargers in that scenario.)

There was a video on Twitter some time back of someone driving a new Tesla up to the gas pumps, being unable to figure out where the gas cap was, and pulling out a phone to do a Google search. It was funny, but I also have to assume it was staged.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2021, 08:48:04 AM
.... He'd gotten gas on the way down, and said he had enough gas to get back to the Ft. Chiswell/Wytheville area on the return trip, but he said that he saw lots of stations that were out of gas and diesel -- and many places had also turned off their electric vehicle charging stations as well. That didn't make any sense. Was the logic "if traditional vehicle drivers have to suffer, then EV drivers have to suffer too?"

I wonder whether some gas stations might turn off the EV chargers out of concern that some of the dumber motorists on the road won't mentally process that those are EVs, turn in to buy gas, and then start causing trouble when they're told they can't buy gas. On the whole that's a bit silly, but I also don't think it's totally far-fetched. Never underestimate the number of really stupid people out there on the roads. (In my mind, whether that makes sense might also depend on whether the gas station has a convenience store that the owner wants to keep open as an income stream. If the store stays open, you're still going to get some stupid people screaming and yelling about wanting to buy gas, but it doesn't make sense to turn off the EV chargers in that scenario.)

There was a video on Twitter some time back of someone driving a new Tesla up to the gas pumps, being unable to figure out where the gas cap was, and pulling out a phone to do a Google search. It was funny, but I also have to assume it was staged.

I would assume that was staged.  Now that is dumb to turn off the EV chargers.  I would hate to be low in range only to find the charger turned off due to stupidity.  I had to stay somewhere overnight when I brought my car home as a DC station showing on several maps was ripped out due to construction.  I had to plug into a level two charger and just stay the night.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 19, 2021, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2021, 08:48:04 AM

I would assume that was staged.  Now that is dumb to turn off the EV chargers.  I would hate to be low in range only to find the charger turned off due to stupidity.  I had to stay somewhere overnight when I brought my car home as a DC station showing on several maps was ripped out due to construction.  I had to plug into a level two charger and just stay the night.

Was the station running on a diesel generator?  That's not exactly uncommon out west and could be a feasible explanation why the EV chargers weren't up and running? 

Bruce

Quote from: Brandon on May 19, 2021, 06:55:09 AM

Yes, but you can bring gasoline back from places with power.  Can you charge your car and bring it back from a couple hundred miles away?  You can't just pop a couple of Energizers in a Tesla.

Battery swaps are possible in some EV models.

Long-term power outages are rare up here, so planning my entire life around them would be foolish. Day-to-day, EVs would win out for me because of the lower fuel costs and better handling on hilly streets (of which we have many).

Takumi

Surprisingly, there are still isolated stations that are out of some grades of gas. I stopped to fill up my Aristo last night at a station in Richmond, and they were out of mid-grade and premium.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on May 19, 2021, 03:46:28 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 19, 2021, 06:55:09 AM

Battery swaps are possible in some EV models.

Long-term power outages are rare up here, so planning my entire life around them would be foolish. Day-to-day, EVs would win out for me because of the lower fuel costs and better handling on hilly streets (of which we have many).

Tricky thing is that you're tied to that power grid infrastructure and range of the EV if you want to go anywhere outside of Metro Seattle.  That's fine if you're inclined not to take trips often or have a gasoline powered second vehicle.

Bruce

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 23, 2021, 02:17:43 PM
Tricky thing is that you're tied to that power grid infrastructure and range of the EV if you want to go anywhere outside of Metro Seattle.  That's fine if you're inclined not to take trips often or have a gasoline powered second vehicle.

Luckily there's been a good push by the state to build more charging stations along major corridors, which about covers I-5, I-90, and US 2. Other areas should eventually get their stations, as hydro power is even cheaper in Eastern WA due to the nearby dams.

Oregon's network is even more impressive: https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Programs/Electric%20Vehicle%20library/Electric%20Hwy%20Map-REV_4-15.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.