News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Route Shields on Street Placards

Started by Rover_0, October 13, 2011, 04:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 13, 2011, 08:47:04 PM
Quote from: pianocello on October 13, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Here's an example on CR-676 in Edison, NJ.

NJDOT as well as many counties love to use route shields on their street placards at traffic signal intersections.

From what I remember NJ does this at all intersections.  IN Ocean County this is one of the few places you can see the CR 6xx numbers.  I havent been to NJ in a few years so I may be outdated 

agentsteel53

Quote from: jwolfer on October 14, 2011, 11:37:43 AM
I like this better than the SR xx or CR xx.  I havent seen any route shields around Jax

I have absolutely no idea what blind monkey decided that that shield shape is in any form correct.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Central Avenue

Quote from: corco on October 14, 2011, 02:24:33 AM
Can't forget Custer County, South Dakota

I kinda don't understand the reasoning behind those. Putting a small shield with a road name makes sense, but putting a US 385 shield with "US HWY 385" just seems redundant.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

agentsteel53

Quote from: Central Avenue on October 14, 2011, 02:34:14 PM

I kinda don't understand the reasoning behind those. Putting a small shield with a road name makes sense, but putting a US 385 shield with "US HWY 385" just seems redundant.

I agree with you logically, but aesthetically I like the result.  yes, even with the goofy color scheme.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

us175

In Dallas, the city has started adding shield images to their mast-arm signs since the city's rollout of new Clearview street signage.  This one is at I-635/Preston.

Found no US 175 mast-arm signs on the C.F. Hawn freeway section, but this one is up along S.M. Wright (old S. Central Expwy.) at Hatcher.

At the same intersection where the I-635 sign is above, here's the Preston Road version, with TX 289 on it.
US 175 on Facebook and Twitter

Brandon

A few here in Illinois.

Bonus points for the error as this no longer US-30 (and hasn't been since the 1960s).

IL-38 at Kirk Rd (with a Kane County 77 shield to boot).

However, text seems to be far more common in the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

adt1982

Here's another version from Illinois.

This is looking north on 66 at Illinois 16 in Litchfield.  I'm not sure if they reused the signs, but the lights and masts are brand-new as of last month.

Bickendan

Tigard's had this for years with OR 99W. It's only recently they swapped the signs out with the correct OR route shield -- they used to be white Interstate shields.

apeman33

These (with shields) are starting to appear in Kansas. They've been in Lawrence for years, but I think those were posted by the city based on the fact that the font was the same as Lawrence street signs. But I've started to see them in other places and it looks as though KDOT posted those.

Edit: There's at least one on 4th Street/K-126 in Pittsburg.

roadfro

Overall, I think the trend to put route shields on street name signs has picked up in the last 2-3 years. Partially a result of the practice being a new explicitly stated option (with illustrated example) in the 2009 MUTCD.

I have yet to see one of these in Nevada. For some of the more major numbered routes, it would be nice to see.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Takumi

Atlantic & 22nd in Virginia Beach. This is no older than 1999, when I-264 replaced VA 44, and slightly erroneous as I-264 is a few blocks west of here. Still, the state name more than makes up for it. Does anyone remember if a VA 44 shield was on this placard beforehand?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

luokou

There's also a pair for OR-43 at the intersection of Bancroft st and Macadam ave:

http://g.co/maps/8rysx

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Takumi on October 24, 2011, 03:44:43 PM
Atlantic & 22nd in Virginia Beach. This is no older than 1999, when I-264 replaced VA 44, and slightly erroneous as I-264 is a few blocks west of here. Still, the state name more than makes up for it. Does anyone remember if a VA 44 shield was on this placard beforehand?

I wouldn't take that as erroneous actually, thanks to the arrow.  I'd just read it as "this way to I-264."
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Alex

Quote from: Takumi on October 24, 2011, 03:44:43 PM
<snip>

I photographed that same assembly in March 2000. It has done well in the elements.

Quillz

I don't think I've ever seen an Interstate shield that had an outer blue border like that one. But it's not a bad look. Although the contrast could be better.

codyg1985

Quote from: us175 on October 14, 2011, 06:36:18 PM

In Dallas, the city has started adding shield images to their mast-arm signs since the city's rollout of new Clearview street signage.  This one is at I-635/Preston.

Found no US 175 mast-arm signs on the C.F. Hawn freeway section, but this one is up along S.M. Wright (old S. Central Expwy.) at Hatcher.

At the same intersection where the I-635 sign is above, here's the Preston Road version, with TX 289 on it.

Out of all the examples I've seen, I like these the best. I wished Huntsville, AL would do this on it's major streets since numbered routes often are known by their names instead. That would keep people from wondering how to get to US 231 south from Memorial Pkwy as if US 231 magically appears as you cross the Tennessee River.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Bickendan

Quote from: luokou on October 24, 2011, 04:41:22 PM
There's also a pair for OR-43 at the intersection of Bancroft st and Macadam ave:

http://g.co/maps/8rysx
The oversized I-5 shield detracts from the overall effect, though :P

ClarkE

Quote from: hbelkins on October 13, 2011, 06:55:22 PM
Lots of these in Lexington and Winchester, Ky.

Always liked that about Lexington. I wish more of the state did it.

sp_redelectric

Quote from: Bickendan on October 17, 2011, 03:26:23 AM
Tigard's had this for years with OR 99W. It's only recently they swapped the signs out with the correct OR route shield -- they used to be white Interstate shields.

Only the ones at Hall and Greenburg were replaced, due to the recent widening project.  (Strangely, because it wasn't even an ODOT project, it was funded by the City and managed by the County despite it involving two state highways...but all the signage was upgraded to ODOT spec.)  The remainder of the signage along 99W is still the Tigard spec with the Interstate 99W shield.

Looking at City of Tigard signs I'm sometimes embarrassed to live in the city.  Washington County has a decent sign shop - the city should just contract with the county.

Brian556

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.