News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Shields for named highways

Started by MrDisco99, January 16, 2012, 05:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrDisco99

Most highway shields on directional signs I've seen are for numbered interstates, US highways, and state and county roads.  However, particularly in the northeast, it's interesting to see how many named roads have their own shields on signage, even if there's a parallel numbering to it; for example, the New Jersey Turnpike is signed with an NJTP shield as well as I-95.

Some I've seen in use:

Florida's Turnpike
Kentucky Parkways
Capital Beltway
Indiana Toll Road
Ohio Turnpike
Pennsylvania Turnpike
Delaware Turnpike
New Jersey:
- New Jersey Turnpike
- Garden State Parkway
- Atlantic City Expressway
Palisades Interstate Parkway
New York:
- New York State Thruway
- Various State Parkways with green NY shields
- Parkways on Long Island with lighthouse shields
MassPike
Queen Elizabeth Way in Ontario

I'm sure there are plenty more that are mentioned by name, but I'm particularly interested in those with a shield image on directional signs or reassurance markers.

Does the old Connecticut Turnpike have its own shield or does it just use I-95?

What about any bridges or tunnels with their own shields?

Any other notables?

Takumi

The Blue Ridge Parkway has a shield. In Virginia it's listed as VA 48, but it's not signed as such.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex

Quote from: MrDisco99 on January 16, 2012, 05:50:28 PM

Any other notables?

Some answers here.

NE2

Most toll roads have or had them.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

txstateends

The L.L.Tisdale Parkway in Tulsa has its own shield.

Most toll roads in north TX have their own named shield (Dallas N. Tollway, Bush Turnpike, Addison Airport Toll Tunnel, Mountain Creek Lake Bridge, Sam Rayburn Tollway); the DFW Turnpike had its own shield before it became a free portion of I-30 in the late 1970s, and undoubtably a named shield will be implemented for the Chisholm Trail parkway upcoming toll road southwest/south of Fort Worth.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

agentsteel53

some very old trails had names and shields.  here are two Ocean to Ocean Highway markers from the 1910s.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

MrDisco99

Quote from: Alex on January 16, 2012, 06:26:52 PM

Any other notables?

Some answers here.

Thanks!  Sorry, I didn't realize some of this had already been discussed... though I'm interested in not just turnpikes, but any trailblazers that are still in use.

ctsignguy

I'm sure there are plenty more that are mentioned by name, but I'm particularly interested in those with a shield image on directional signs or reassurance markers.

Any other notables?

Here is your answer....

and in the wild...
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jim

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

MrDisco99

oscar

Here's two different marker styles for the President George Bush Turnpike in Dallas (named for 41, not 43), taken in June 2009:

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Beeper1

Maine Turnpike, Spaulding Turnpike and Everett Turnpike in NH have their own sheilds. 

The Inner Loop in Rochester NY and the LaSalle Expressway outside Niagara Falls do as well.   

All the NYS parkways have their own sheilds. 

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: Beeper1 on January 17, 2012, 12:31:55 AM
Maine Turnpike, Spaulding Turnpike and Everett Turnpike in NH have their own sheilds. 

The Inner Loop in Rochester NY and the LaSalle Expressway outside Niagara Falls do as well.   

I don't believe I have ever seen shields for the Robert Moses State Parkway or Onondaga Lake Parkway.  It's also worth noting that the Lake Ontario State Parkway has a separate shield from the rest of the system.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: deanej on January 17, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
Quote from: Beeper1 on January 17, 2012, 12:31:55 AM

I don't believe I have ever seen shields for the Robert Moses State Parkway or Onondaga Lake Parkway.  It's also worth noting that the Lake Ontario State Parkway has a separate shield from the rest of the system.

All the state-maintained parkways that do not overlap touring routes probably have shields. That includes the RMSP: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ny/moses/

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on January 17, 2012, 11:45:34 AM
I don't believe I have ever seen shields for the Robert Moses State Parkway or Onondaga Lake Parkway. 

I do not have a photo of the Onondaga Lake Parkway shield.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

I don't think I saw it mentioned yet, so I'll throw out the "Southern Tier Expressway"....
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SidS1045

The Mass Pike pilgrim's-hat logo is being phased out, and MassDOT announced last year their intention to get rid of it altogether at some point.  It'll be just plain I-90 with tolls.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Alps

Onondaga Lake Parkway doesn't have a shield, it's not a State Parkway. It's just NY 370.

PurdueBill

Quote from: SidS1045 on January 17, 2012, 03:18:00 PM
The Mass Pike pilgrim's-hat logo is being phased out, and MassDOT announced last year their intention to get rid of it altogether at some point.  It'll be just plain I-90 with tolls.

Good luck actually getting anyone around there to actually stop calling it the Pike for a long time though....considering that not only the general public but even the traffic reports refer to I-93 from exit 1 to exit 7 as "128" even though it hasn't been 128 for a very long time.  I doubt the public will suddenly start referring to "90" instead of the Pike, especially if it's still tolled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.