Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2013, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: vtk on July 02, 2013, 08:52:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the newest MUTCD doesn't allow yellow street blades.  Even under older manuals when it was allowed, it wasn't a good aesthetic choice.

Yellow street blades are always used, IIRC, with a warning sign in the MUTCD.

That's not the kind of street blade I thought we were talking about.  Personally, I don't consider those to be street blades, but a kind of supplemental plaque to a warning sign that looks very similar to a street blade.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Zeffy

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2013, 09:32:56 AM
Quote from: vtk on July 02, 2013, 08:52:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the newest MUTCD doesn't allow yellow street blades.  Even under older manuals when it was allowed, it wasn't a good aesthetic choice.

Yellow street blades are always used, IIRC, with a warning sign in the MUTCD.

If you are referring to signs like this:

It's actually just a plaque with the street name on it, like vtk said. Yellow street sign blades aren't used (probably to distinguish them from these plaques)
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

1995hoo

Spotted this afternoon in Rockville, Maryland, courtesy of the Department of Redundancy. (Video capture from dashboard camera)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vtk

I'm not sure if that's redundancy or self-contradiction.  Maybe it comes from Alanland.

1995hoo

Quote from: vtk on July 08, 2013, 04:34:29 PM
I'm not sure if that's redundancy or self-contradiction.  Maybe it comes from Alanland.

Yeah, I was conflicted on whether to construe it as a double-negative or as redundant.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Cimarron Turnpike

Carthage, MO
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

elsmere241

Quote from: NE2 on July 08, 2013, 09:42:59 PM
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.467673,-81.498846&spn=0.007291,0.014173&gl=us&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.467668,-81.498792&panoid=0lsbFptXni2MnF_xQWTY5w&cbp=12,81.36,,0,7.8

That one reminds me of Bill Cosby talking about driving around Los Angeles, where they'd put the "DIP" sign two inches before the dip.  He said it would be better if they'd put a sign saying "You just hit a dip" after the dip.  (This is part of his classic "Driving in San Francisco" on Why is there Air?)

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on July 08, 2013, 09:18:16 PM

Cimarron Turnpike

Oh, that's easy:

No prohibition of U turns.  U turns are strictly enforced.  All traffic must make a U turn.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on July 09, 2013, 09:34:02 AM

What's the design error?  It's a warning sign for a crossroad on a hill.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

exit322

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2013, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: US71 on July 08, 2013, 09:18:16 PM

Cimarron Turnpike

Oh, that's easy:

No prohibition of U turns.  U turns are strictly enforced.  All traffic must make a U turn.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=7720.0

This is the appropriate place for this post.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: kphoger on July 09, 2013, 09:43:54 AM

I agree that it's not the most egregious error on this thread, but comparing it to the example towards the top of this page, it may seem to indicate that "Hill" is the crossroad to the right.  Assuming, of course, that the motorist is not terribly bright.

theline

I was torn about this one, between this thread and the Best of Signs thread. Aside from the obvious design error, I find the sign attractive.

It's on Clayton Drive in South Bend, IN.

agentsteel53

what's the obvious design error?  legs too short in proportion to torso?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

That's quite an athletic build for a child.

NE2

Obviously one of Steve King's drug goats.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Kacie Jane

The kid is a bit overbuilt.  But maybe also the screw holes going through the lettering?  Probably not terribly uncommon, but I think most signs are designed to avoid that.

jeffandnicole

If I saw a kid that size running at my car, I'd watch out for him too!

Big John

wouldn't want a sign encouraging pedophiles.

ET21

Looks like a David Hasselhoff in his prime.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

briantroutman

I'd say this one is, in fact, an error.

Supplemental plaques either explain what the warning sign graphic means (such as "PED X-ING" under the image of a person walking), provide more specific detail about the condition (such as "6%" under a grade warning or "Main St" under an intersection warning), or clarify where, when, or to whom the warning applies ("500 FT", "WHEN WET", or "TRUCKS").

"HILL" doesn't fit any of those conditions and is describes a separate condition that is unrelated to the intersection. It should be posted separately on its own diamond-shaped warning sign.

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 08, 2013, 02:50:55 PM
Spotted this afternoon in Rockville, Maryland, courtesy of the Department of Redundancy. (Video capture from dashboard camera)

Aside from this being worded somewhat confusingly and perhaps contradictorily, are any of the "AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY" signs necessary? Does anyone actually think a police officer or ambulance driver will hesitate to use a median crossing in case of an emergency, even if it was simply marked "NO U TURN"? And does anyone think that if a civilian sees a police car making a U-turn in front of a no U-turn sign, he'll run after the cop yelling "citizen's arrest" like Gomer Pyle?

Perhaps the same could be said of the "BUSSES ONLY" signs–or worse, the "TRAINS ONLY" signs I've seen on light rail tracks.

agentsteel53

Quote from: briantroutman on July 31, 2013, 02:00:58 AM

Supplemental plaques either explain what the warning sign graphic means (such as "PED X-ING" under the image of a person walking), provide more specific detail about the condition (such as "6%" under a grade warning or "Main St" under an intersection warning), or clarify where, when, or to whom the warning applies ("500 FT", "WHEN WET", or "TRUCKS").

"HILL" doesn't fit any of those conditions and is describes a separate condition that is unrelated to the intersection. It should be posted separately on its own diamond-shaped warning sign.

indeed.  if I were to see that installation, I would think that the hill being warned about was along the side street.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vtk

Quote from: briantroutman on July 31, 2013, 02:00:58 AM

Supplemental plaques ... or clarify where, when, or to whom the warning applies ("500 FT", "WHEN WET", or "TRUCKS").

Could it be that's actually what they're trying to accomplish?  There could be a side road there at the top of the hill, but if you're not looking for it, you wouldn't expect it until you're there.  That's why the diamond sign is there.  Maybe the plaque beneath should say "ON HILL" or "AT CREST OF HILL".

theline

I thought it was obvious that the design error was a warning on a rectangular sign, rather than diamond-shaped. Maybe it wasn't so obvious.

We make our kids muscular in South Bend.  :-D

(It looks like the emoticons, which refused to work for me earlier, are working now.)  :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.