News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 04, 2016, 10:01:53 PM
New Britain, CT used to have tall white wooden street sign posts with black lettering. Somehow, one is still standing a few blocks from here...sort of!

https://goo.gl/maps/LZGKXz5rvDL2
That's exactly what the old NJ ones look like. I just can't find one at the moment

Magical Trevor

Quote from: bzakharin on November 07, 2016, 02:25:37 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 04, 2016, 10:01:53 PM
New Britain, CT used to have tall white wooden street sign posts with black lettering. Somehow, one is still standing a few blocks from here...sort of!

https://goo.gl/maps/LZGKXz5rvDL2
That's exactly what the old NJ ones look like. I just can't find one at the moment
Until around 2008 there had been one of these at the corner of White Hollow Road and Route 112 (Lime Rock Road), in front of the entrance sign for Lime Rock Park.

BamaZeus

I want to say that some survived in the Stamford/Darien area when I was growing up, but don't hold me to that.  They do look familiar to me, like I had see one or two on Hoyt St going between New Canaan and Stamford.  I'm not sure why that exact street popped into my head, but it did.

jay8g

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

formulanone

Bruce

The city of Seattle has these general speed limit signs posted at the city limits over SR 522 and SR 99. Recently got changed with the lowered speed limits (some here may not appreciate it, but I do  :-D ).

New speed limit sign in Seattle by SounderBruce, on Flickr

jakeroot

Any idea how common these signs are ("One vehicle in median at a time")? Washington uses them sparingly on divided highways:

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on November 11, 2016, 01:21:54 AM
(some here may not appreciate it, but I do).

Those who don't drive, generally don't appreciate cars. ;-)

3web

Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

Ian

Quote from: jakeroot on November 14, 2016, 03:00:06 AM
Any idea how common these signs are ("One vehicle in median at a time")? Washington uses them sparingly on divided highways:

I've seen similar signs worded differently in various parts of Delaware that say "single vehicle x-over." Here's one on DE 1 south of Frederica.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Rothman

Probably been posted somewhere on the forum before, but here's a strange PA 611 shield in Philadelphia, I believe on Vine.

Bad PA 611 Shield in Philly
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

odditude

unfortunately, they're new and they're hideous. there's quite a few on 15th St, as that's what the PA 611/Broad St exit on I-676 EB dumps you onto.

TR69

Seems small shields, perhaps on a larger sign, would have worked fine here, rather than spelling everything out.

Also, the sign doesn't tell motorists which way to go on I-469 (north/south) or on I-69 (north).

vtk

Quote from: TR69 on November 21, 2016, 10:59:38 AM
Seems small shields, perhaps on a larger sign, would have worked fine here, rather than spelling everything out.

Also, the sign doesn't tell motorists which way to go on I-469 (north/south) or on I-69 (north).

Also, the sign probably needs to be amended to say Exit 316
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: vtk on November 24, 2016, 01:00:10 AM
Quote from: TR69 on November 21, 2016, 10:59:38 AM

Also, the sign probably needs to be amended to say Exit 316

That's Bluffton Road on the southern segment of IN-1 coming out of Fort Wayne.  They have since replaced the sign with one that has compass directions for I-469 and I-69 to reach the continuation of IN-1.  However, the new sign still has the wrong exit number.

jakeroot

From Spokane, Washington. More unusual part is the crossing of the shafts (:eyebrow:):

PHLBOS

While most of us know about the ALL WAY plaque (MUTCD R1-3P) that goes with STOP signs (at all-way stop intersections); well, in Marblehead, MA; they (the town) reverse-color ALL WAYS plaques.

Looks like the TOW AWAY ZONE plaques (MUTCD R7-201aP) were used but with different lettering.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

This could cover the whole gamut of the thread...

These are posted in the middle of a designated RV parking area near Downtown Grand Junction, CO.   Each direction of BL-70 is on a separate one-way street.

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 28, 2016, 05:09:27 PM
While most of us know about the ALL WAY plaque (MUTCD R1-3P) that goes with STOP signs (at all-way stop intersections); well, in Marblehead, MA; they (the town) reverse-color ALL WAYS plaques.

Very reminiscent of the Canadian supplementary plaques:

Rothman

Level of interest may vary:

Found this in Dothan, AL along a rail line:

Before the end of I-85 in Montgomery, AL:

End of I-85 in Montgomery, AL:

Split of GA 136 and GA 136 Connector:

END! GA 136 Connector:

Blue GA 515 shield example (Appalachian Corridor):

END! GA 60 Spur at GA 60.  I drove the Dragon (US 129) and came out of it eventually down NC 60 / GA 60 Spur / GA 60, etc.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Rothman on November 29, 2016, 12:09:09 AM
Level of interest may vary:

Found this in Dothan, AL along a rail line:

There's one of those in Decatur, AL (close clearance) on a CSX Spur track with another one that has the "Stop Dismount" sign mounted above it further down the track. They can't be seen on street view, as it appears they may be newer installs (despite said track not having seen a train in years from what I can tell), but they can be seen here:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/Decatur/2/
The stand-alone Close Clearance sign can be seen facing away from the camera on the right in Picture 23, and the set-up with both signs can be seen in Picture 24 on the left.
I can get some better pictures if you want me too though.

I know I've seen them in other places as well (mostly on Google Maps). Here's one that used to be on a CSX spur/branch (not sure what it was, but it appears to have been the later) in Nashville, TN that has since been removed:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1577999,-86.7865717,3a,15y,358.77h,84.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sIn-Sxskr38XP5kLxxO4iQg!2e0!5s20140401T000000!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

MNHighwayMan

I was told these Sibley County creations probably fit here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.