News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I think it would be better if it were inverted (white crown and green shield with white numbers).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: plain on May 13, 2019, 09:37:43 PM
A couple days ago I saw an "Arrive Alive" posting on a sign that is very Pennsylvania keystone-like, but in Virginia. Couldn't get a pic but here it is on GSV.

US 60 Warwick Blvd in front of Warwick High School in Newport News

Yeah, I forgot about how odd that was...it's Virginia, not Pennsylvania. And "Arrive Alive" has been a common mantra by FDOT for decades.

(Maybe someone had relatives in both states?)

Here's the one I found on VA 105, also in Newport News:

1995hoo

I have the day off and I went for a walk around Lake Accotink. Found this along an auxiliary trail in the woods near where it connects to the main four-mile loop trail. Thought it was quite unusual to find this in this sort of location, and I thought the modified T-intersection sign was interesting (entirely correct, too). The main trail to which this connects down at the bottom of the hill in the first picture is unpaved, BTW, so I kind of thought something more than "Yield" might be appropriate.

Here's roughly where it is. No Street View or user photos there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Amtrakprod

Bikes use this signal, I don't like this sign used on Pennsylvanian avenue in DC. My least favorite use is at Constitution Ave instead of buying a bike signal they make all the cars stop for no pedestrians, or conflicting movements.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 06:48:42 AM
My least favorite use is at Constitution Ave instead of buying a bike signal they make all the cars stop for no pedestrians, or conflicting movements.

Normally the signs don't bother me, but that intersection is indeed a point where that style of signal isn't sufficient. I've seen many drivers just blow through the red light there when left turns are going. But who can blame them? There's no conflicts (except for bikes).

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2019, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 06:48:42 AM
My least favorite use is at Constitution Ave instead of buying a bike signal they make all the cars stop for no pedestrians, or conflicting movements.

Normally the signs don't bother me, but that intersection is indeed a point where that style of signal isn't sufficient. I've seen many drivers just blow through the red light there when left turns are going. But who can blame them? There's no conflicts (except for bikes).
Yeah, it's a dumb light, I wish they had a crosswalk on the east end there, maybe they planned to. Btw Jake you've been there before?

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Bruce

Everett has a waterfront trail that runs along part of SR 529, but has its own separate mileposts that are divided into half-mile increments (something that isn't common in WA).

jakeroot

Amtrakprod

Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2019, 06:30:31 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 03:21:49 PM
Btw Jake you've been there before?

Yes, I live in DC about 8-10 weeks each year.
Wow, that's very cool!!! I thought you were in Washington State for 100% of the year, not around 83%.

Scott5114

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 06:54:37 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 16, 2019, 06:30:31 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 03:21:49 PM
Btw Jake you've been there before?

Yes, I live in DC about 8-10 weeks each year.
Wow, that's very cool!!! I thought you were in Washington State for 100% of the year, not around 83%.

He cycles between places named "Washington", apparently.

Give me a heads-up when you end up in Washington, Oklahoma.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hot Rod Hootenanny

As I've described it elsewhere, my new favorite roadsign...

This particular one was in the NW corner of Cedar County, Iowa (about 17 miles east of Cedar Rapids).
Truth in advertising, in Iowa?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

I'm less amused by the main sign (having seen similar signage elsewhere) as by the very specific information provided in the plaque:  LEVEL B SERVICE.  Am I supposed to believe the average Iowan knows what Level B service is?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kphoger on May 16, 2019, 09:45:36 PM
I'm less amused by the main sign (having seen similar signage elsewhere) as by the very specific information provided in the plaque:  LEVEL B SERVICE.  Am I supposed to believe the average Iowan knows what Level B service is?

<shrugs shoulders>
I just think its interesting that Iowa (local gov'ts?) appears to be publicly "throwing their hands up" with some of their roads.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Rothman

NYSDOT "throws its hands up" with "ROUGH ROAD" signs, notably on NY 85's limited access section before a crack and seat job was finally done.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

jakeroot

Quote from: Amtrakprod on May 16, 2019, 06:54:37 PM

I legally only live in Washington State, but I live part of the year in DC with my mother (who lives there full-time). I don't reside in Vancouver either, but am there for school and other activities so frequently that I feel I can mention it on my profile as a location without harm, especially given my knowledge of the area.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 16, 2019, 06:59:18 PM
He cycles between places named "Washington", apparently.

Give me a heads-up when you end up in Washington, Oklahoma.

I love a good Washington! Washington, OK, and then Washington, England...and then the four-hundred other Washington's eventually. Maybe even a tribute to Western Australia is in order.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
NYSDOT "throws its hands up" with "ROUGH ROAD" signs, notably on NY 85's limited access section before a crack and seat job was finally done.
NYSDOT has been throwing their hands up since they realized they were never going to build the roads they needed.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 17, 2019, 08:48:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2019, 10:36:43 PM
NYSDOT has been throwing their hands up since they realized they were never going to build the roads they needed.
In a way, yes.  You could call the whole "Preservation First" approach to capital programming as NYSDOT giving up in the face of underfunding given the actual needs of the system.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 18, 2019, 09:25:30 PM
Not sure I've seen an island shown on an advance lane usage sign:  WB I-88 Exit to Cermak/22nd Street in Oak Brook, IL.
Hmm, strange idea but I think it works well! I've never seen anything like that! No surprise it's IL

iPhone

roadman65

Looks like they just put together a bunch of sign pieces here to make the shield assembly.  Also Disney World is left over from when signs on the Turnpike used to send folks in via the back door down 27 to 192 before the sprawl changed it and of course now FL 429 which goes there faster and easier several miles to the south.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

rarnold

I cannot speak for "average" Iowans, but most Iowans that live in the country better know what those signs mean, or have a wrecker on speed dial to pull them out.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/40937567543/in/dateposted-public/
This one is interesting that they would add an Exit Closed tab on it instead of covering it with a tarp once its raised up.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on May 21, 2019, 08:24:39 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/40937567543/in/dateposted-public/
This one is interesting that they would add an Exit Closed tab on it instead of covering it with a tarp once its raised up.
A tab mounting *is* unusual...

In Nevada, sometimes we cover the whole sign with tarp. But more often, that orange "exit closed" placard (or simply a "closed" placard; or even a standard "ramp closed" sign) would just be mounted at an angle over the sign text.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

mrsman

What is meant by Level B service?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.