Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riiga

Well, there's a difference between stopping and yielding...  :rolleyes:

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on August 04, 2019, 04:38:00 PM
Well, there's a difference between stopping and yielding...  :rolleyes:

I've always thought of it as "yielding", and either proceeding or stopping as required.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on July 20, 2019, 01:29:10 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 19, 2019, 01:26:19 PM
I'm still trying to find anything in MUTCD on off-color Type 3 object markers. I've still seen recent versions of black and white ones, along with red and white ones, and non-construction use of orange and white ones.

http://www.trafficsign.us/shs/om/om3.pdf

Woodbine Avenue in Northport, NY has some of the red and white ones, but I can't find it on GSV.
You won't find anything in the MUTCD about Type 3 object markers that aren't black and yellow. Chapter 6 discusses the white and orange ones–referred to there as "vertical panels", in the context of other channelizing devices for temporary traffic control (such as cones, drums, tubular markers and barricades).

There were some red & white chevron height warning signs along Longacres Way in Renton, WA up until about five years ago. Not sure I've seen anything quite like them, before or since. Doubt they were MUTCD-compliant, but I find them better than the current warning signs.

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on August 05, 2019, 01:33:54 AM
I'm still trying to find anything in MUTCD on off-color Type 3 object markers. I've still seen recent versions of black and white ones, along with red and white ones, and non-construction use of orange and white ones.

Woodbine Avenue in Northport, NY has some of the red and white ones, but I can't find it on GSV.
You won't find anything in the MUTCD about Type 3 object markers that aren't black and yellow. Chapter 6 discusses the white and orange ones–referred to there as "vertical panels", in the context of other channelizing devices for temporary traffic control (such as cones, drums, tubular markers and barricades).

There were some red & white chevron height warning signs along Longacres Way in Renton, WA up until about five years ago. Not sure I've seen anything quite like them, before or since. Doubt they were MUTCD-compliant, but I find them better than the current warning signs.

Just on the subject of clearance signs, a few months before I moved out of Newark DE, they started installing these non-conventional clearance warning signs at the low bridges in town, particularly the one on Chapel Street.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadfro

Those aren't chevrons...

But I like the concept of that though. If it were switched to black on yellow, it would be more MUTCD-kosher.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on August 06, 2019, 12:42:15 AM
Those aren't chevrons...

But I like the concept of that though. If it were switched to black on yellow, it would be more MUTCD-kosher.

Indeed...perhaps I should have proofread.

I agree on the concept. I think it's great! I even prefer the colors, I think. But only because I feel like we overuse black and yellow. I feel like there are situations where red could be used more often. Blue, too.

amroad17

Red warning signs should be used in cases like this.  The (in)famous 11'8" bridge should have these.

Both Kentucky and Tennessee use red warning signs for vehicles with explosive materials thinking about wanting to use the Cumberland Gap Tunnel.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

paulthemapguy

I doubt they strictly followed MUTCD guidelines, but I'm pretty sure they had no interest in doing so.  Desperate times call for more creative measures, and I'm glad they got creative here.  Perhaps if a groundbreaking approach to low clearance signage is designed and constructed professionally enough, with sufficiently intuitive symbology, they can inspire a new standard or provision for the next edition of the MUTCD!  The choice of red instead of yellow is interesting to me, because it allows the signage here to stand out against a sea of other warning signs.  I think it was uncouth, but I think it was a good choice.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3149269,-74.1300108,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scBBTz0-0uSihucyqcHOGAw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Speaking of MUTCD, this is definitely not approved by it.  The Exit 16 sign gantry from the Thruway to NY 17.   That panel on the right is worse than an airport airline directory sign.  Too much sine salad here.  Hopefully the Harriman Plaza removal will get better signs here.   Also maybe take West Point off this as its really not needed (at least on the main guide anyway).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ErmineNotyours

Continuing the bike sign series.  The city of Bellevue chose to use white on blue, which can make it a little hard to read with the honeycomb shape of the reflector material showing through.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/okroads/48448719541/in/photostream This one I had to share from OK Roads Flickr as to me it's a bad attempt of shielding OH and US routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MNHighwayMan

Over the weekend I discovered that St. Louis County (Minnesota) has started installing these new adopt-a-highway signs. I've of course seen county versions of adopt-a-highway signs before, but certainly not a fancy unique design like this.

Bruce

For the ugly pile: Seaway Boulevard in Everett has this APL to funnel Boeing employees around.

plain

Quote from: Bruce on August 15, 2019, 12:49:57 AM
For the ugly pile: Seaway Boulevard in Everett has this APL to funnel Boeing employees around.

I would've put this in the "Worst Of" thread. That shit is just horrible.
Newark born, Richmond bred

roadman

Quote from: Bruce on August 15, 2019, 12:49:57 AM

Wonder if that sign was designed by the same engineers who designed the control system in the 737MAX?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jakeroot

The only thing wrong with the sign is the lack of a divider between the two parking areas. Otherwise it's quite a nice sign.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on August 15, 2019, 02:58:25 PM
The only thing wrong with the sign is the lack of a divider between the two parking areas. Otherwise it's quite a nice sign.

Same here, except my main issue is that the arrows aren't centered over the lanes.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2019, 03:13:05 PM

Same here, except my main issue is that the arrows aren't centered over the lanes.

Yeah, it's pretty bad for visitors.  Employees should know where they're parking.  But a visitor wouldn't have a clue, and the 'Exit Only' stands out to the point where it would appear you want to make that right.

mrsman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 15, 2019, 03:46:06 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 15, 2019, 03:13:05 PM

Yeah, it's pretty bad for visitors.  Employees should know where they're parking.  But a visitor wouldn't have a clue, and the 'Exit Only' stands out to the point where it would appear you want to make that right.

THe better approach would be to have a single sign of employee parking, with a straight/right option arrow and a right only arrow (somewhat equivalent to an APL, but only for the right two lanes, something quite common in Ontario Canada).  Then a sign on the left saying Vistior Parking (straight arrow).  This will let the vistiors know to keep going, and only emphasizing the exit for the right two lanes.   

(Maybe a candidate for Redesign This on the Illustrations Board [if it hasn't been sumbitted already].)

PHLBOS

While driving to/from Kentucky a couple weeks ago; I noticed a couple WV-related sign coincidental oddities along I-64; mainly with WV's fractional county routes.  One unfamiliar with such could mistake those shields for unishield concurrencies.

Pick a 25, any 25.

Depending on which exit one takes, one gets a different Route 60
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2019, 10:34:07 AM
While driving to/from Kentucky a couple weeks ago; I noticed a couple WV-related sign coincidental oddities along I-64; mainly with WV's fractional county routes.  One unfamiliar with such could mistake those shields for unishield concurrencies.

Pick a 25, any 25.

The interesting thing about that exit is that the westbound exit ramp dumps you out on CR 25/25, while the eastbound exit ramp puts you right on WV 25.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

D-Dey65

Okay, I've brought up the signs for the car/truck splits at rest areas in South Carolina in the past. Now how about this one:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:I-95_Santee_SC_NB_Rest_Area;_Patrolled_by_Cops.jpg

Would these be considered regulatory signs, or motorist service signs?

I only ask because in other states, the same messages could be in blue (or dare I say it,... green).

1995hoo

This is on the inside back cover of the September 2019 issue of Consumer Reports. It says the reader who submitted it took the photo in Waldoboro, Maine. I haven't taken the time to try to look for it on Street View. (The photo in the magazine is in focus; the slight blur here is from my phone's camera.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ErmineNotyours

When I was a kid and I saw this sign Prevent radiator boil over.  Turn off air conditioning, I wondered why they put that sign there in particular.  Our family didn't have air conditioning, and so I didn't know the stress it would put on a car driving up a hill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.