News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErmineNotyours

Also only in SoCal, at a rest area on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Diego.  Don't Tread On Me.

US 89

Along that same line, this is at an I-80 rest area in the Utah west desert.

J N Winkler

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 22, 2019, 12:20:35 AMWhen I was a kid and I saw this sign Prevent radiator boil over.  Turn off air conditioning, I wondered why they put that sign there in particular.  Our family didn't have air conditioning, and so I didn't know the stress it would put on a car driving up a hill.

That is also a Caltrans classic, with examples on I-5 at the Grapevine, SR 190 in Death Valley, and SR 180 approaching Kings Canyon and Sequoia NPs from Fresno.  I think the message is dated and this sign can be eliminated altogether, since it has been probably many decades since the last vehicle rolled off the assembly line with cooling capacity so marginal that A/C operation (or other accessory load) noticeably increases the risk of overheating during a hill climb.

Newer cars tend to have soft-start fans that start running at slow speed when engine coolant just barely begins to climb above usual operating temperature, which tends to mask the thermal effects hill climbs and other elevated loads have on the engine.  However, older cars (such as my 1994 Saturn) have hard-start fans that run at full speed once the coolant temperature reaches a fan-on point that is just under the "danger" range on the temperature gauge.  Once the fan kicks on, the response is dramatic--the temperature drops rapidly until it reaches thermostat opening point and the fan shuts off.  Engine overheating typically results from the cooling system being crippled in some way, e.g. a coolant return hose being plugged or the radiator cap no longer holding pressure.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

StogieGuy7

Quote from: Kniwt on July 16, 2019, 04:36:14 PM
US 59 near Atchison, Kansas. Don't let anyone tell you there's nothing to see in Kansas.

Would this be a sign directing travelers to the very first Pizza Hut in Wichita, KS? That could very well be an actual "tourist attraction".

kphoger

Um, no.  Wichita is not 2.9 miles from Atchison.  Also, the original Pizza Hut is no longer in its original location.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

jakeroot

wanderer2575

Brand-new gantry and APL on M-5 at I-96/I-275 in Novi, MI.  No additional bracing on the back side.  I'm going to make sure I'm not anywhere near this thing during a stiff wind.

Mapmikey

Quote from: US 89 on August 22, 2019, 11:26:44 AM
Along that same line, this is at an I-80 rest area in the Utah west desert.

Texas also gets in on the act...this is the I-10 Welcome Center in Orange:  https://goo.gl/maps/uRPX3UWiLPp7UrRV8

Max Rockatansky

Weird over-size California spades on Mono Street and Van Ness in downtown Fresno.  These things are becoming more rare but once were very common on surface streets in downtown.  The font is weird and shields seem to be made from a substandard vinyl:

99CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 24, 2019, 06:39:21 PM
Brand-new gantry and APL on M-5 at I-96/I-275 in Novi, MI.  No additional bracing on the back side.  I'm going to make sure I'm not anywhere near this thing during a stiff wind.

Glad to see that they didn't opt for any "EXIT ONLY" plaques. I've always felt it was redundant with arrow-per-lane signs.

I see that the M5 extends to the left beyond this junction; perhaps they didn't want to sign the up arrows with the exit-only message (since up arrows are probably most often associated with through movements), so they just omitted it altogether.

wanderer2575

Quote from: jakeroot on August 25, 2019, 01:00:06 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 24, 2019, 06:39:21 PM

Glad to see that they didn't opt for any "EXIT ONLY" plaques. I've always felt it was redundant with arrow-per-lane signs.

I see that the M5 extends to the left beyond this junction; perhaps they didn't want to sign the up arrows with the exit-only message (since up arrows are probably most often associated with through movements), so they just omitted it altogether.

I'd chalk it up more to inconsistency than anything else.  The whole M-5 signing plan is really sloppy IMO and has several questionable composition details, among other issues.  Worth noting is that the old sign this one replaced indicated the right lane as exit only to I-275, although the pavement marking indicates the LEFT lane is an exit only.  (By the way, my post was because of the precarious-appearing mounting of the sign on the gantry, not because of the sign design.)

MNHighwayMan

A speed limit sign you can see in parking lots all over the country. Hilarious!

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2019, 10:54:43 PM
Weird over-size California spades on Mono Street and Van Ness in downtown Fresno.  These things are becoming more rare but once were very common on surface streets in downtown.  The font is weird and shields seem to be made from a substandard vinyl:

99CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

My guess is that Fresno made their own signs, as opposed to getting them from Caltrans.  I guess signing along non-Caltrans roads is the local responsibility.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 24, 2019, 10:39:21 PM
Texas also gets in on the act...this is the I-10 Welcome Center in Orange:  https://goo.gl/maps/uRPX3UWiLPp7UrRV8
Oh, they're really common in Florida. This is on I-4 in Polk County, and it's not the only one:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Caution_Venomous_Snakes_Sign.jpg

roadman65

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 25, 2019, 10:18:16 AM
Oh, they're really common in Florida. This is on I-4 in Polk County, and it's not the only one:

Paines Prairie on I-75 has the same.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mrsman on August 25, 2019, 07:15:20 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 24, 2019, 10:54:43 PM

My guess is that Fresno made their own signs, as opposed to getting them from Caltrans.  I guess signing along non-Caltrans roads is the local responsibility.

Fresno definitely makes their own signs.  They get even stranger like this 99 on a white blank:

IMG_7686 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ClassicHasClass

QuoteI guess signing along non-Caltrans roads is the local responsibility.

Generally yes. Even on state highways, if the alignment is relinquished but the agreement is to keep the routing continuous, then you'll see them there too. CA 111 in Riverside County is like that, a patchwork of different agencies maintaining it and sometimes wildly divergent (or even non-existent) signage.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on August 25, 2019, 10:35:54 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 25, 2019, 10:18:16 AM
Paines Prairie on I-75 has the same.
I took a picture of that years ago. It turned out terrible. Even cropping it around the sign doesn't make the lettering any more visible.

thefraze_1020

Quote from: jakeroot on August 24, 2019, 02:56:10 AM
Quote from: Bruce on August 24, 2019, 01:33:27 AM
Not sure about this one.

https://i.imgur.com/uyk798u.jpg

Holy crap, that thing is ancient. Well, the typeface is. Where is that?

As I recall, that is on WA-99 southbound approaching 196th in Lynnwood.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

roadman

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on August 22, 2019, 12:43:21 AM
Also only in SoCal, at a rest area on I-5 between Los Angeles and San Diego.  Don't Tread On Me.

I can see the movie now:  Snakes in a Rest Area.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Bruce

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: roadman on August 26, 2019, 02:29:42 PM

I can see the movie now:  Snakes in a Rest Area.

"I'm so tired of these m[flushing sounds]king snakes!"

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/48630093916/in/dateposted-public/
This one in Atlanta, Texas is interesting as TexDOT uses freeway style (large) shields on a regular arterial.  I think this assembly is cool despite it being ordinary!

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.