News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truvelo

What about this US 41 shield in Indiana. Someone obviously forgot a 1 is narrower than a 4.

Speed limits limit life

roadfro

^ If you just center the space between numbers in the center of the shield, then it'll look okay in most cases. That gets a bit harder when you have the narrowest digit and the widest digit together on the same shield...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

^^^
That's not uncommon on US 41 signs in Kentucky, either.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

KEVIN_224

KEVIN_224

Off of Westlake Drive in Middletown, CT. The Mattabesset River lies near this and is the border with Cromwell.

Revive 755

6a

Saw this in Urbana, OH on SR 55 west of US 68. At first I thought it was just pasted to the back of a stop sign, but it's an entirely separate sign mounted on the other side of the post.

hockeyjohn

Eighth Street in Noblesville, Ind.   The tracks going down the middle of the street were pulled up earlier this year so the sign will soon go, too.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

riiga

"STOP HERE ON RED", used at a temporary traffic light that controls a short section of the way that is limited to a single lane due to road work. Quite unusual to see signs with such instructions here compared to the US.

kphoger

Official hitchhiking spots:  Netherlands

Does this type of sign exist outside the Netherlands?  I seem to remember there having been one somewhere in Colorado about fifteen years ago or so, but I cannot find any reference to it now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

machias

jakeroot

Quote from: riiga on June 17, 2020, 04:57:06 PM

"STOP HERE ON RED", used at a temporary traffic light that controls a short section of the way that is limited to a single lane due to road work. Quite unusual to see signs with such instructions here compared to the US.

That is odd! I don't even see that in the US all the time. There normally wouldn't be a sign, right?

Is there a second signal or just that one?

riiga

Quote from: jakeroot on June 17, 2020, 07:07:47 PM
That is odd! I don't even see that in the US all the time. There normally wouldn't be a sign, right?

Normally there's just the traffic light and the painted stop line. They've also put up temporary warning signs a few hundered meters back to alert drivers that there's an upcoming traffic light along with the work zone warning.

There's another identical signal about 50 m ahead facing the other direction, taking turns with this one in letting through traffic.

J N Winkler

Quote from: riiga on June 18, 2020, 10:08:58 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 17, 2020, 07:07:47 PMThat is odd! I don't even see that in the US all the time. There normally wouldn't be a sign, right?

Normally there's just the traffic light and the painted stop line. They've also put up temporary warning signs a few hundred meters back to alert drivers that there's an upcoming traffic light along with the work zone warning.

There's another identical signal about 50 m ahead facing the other direction, taking turns with this one in letting through traffic.

In the US equivalent to this scenario (alternating one-way working controlled by traffic signals), figure 6H-12 in the MUTCD lays out the signs and markings that are to be used, and neither the stop bar nor the "Stop Here On Red [arrow pointing at stop bar]" sign is marked as optional.  Control can also be effected by flaggers or AFADs.

Besides the US, the Swedish sign has an equivalent in Britain (TSRGD diagram 7011, all-uppercase "When Red Light Shows Wait Here" on red background).  Britain also has additional signs to address situations where traffic (not controlled by signals) is allowed to turn off side roads onto the segment subject to one-way working.  I don't think the US has a national standard to cover this, though a few states probably have treatments for it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jakeroot

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 18, 2020, 12:03:30 PM
In the US equivalent to this scenario (alternating one-way working controlled by traffic signals), figure 6H-12 in the MUTCD lays out the signs and markings that are to be used, and neither the stop bar nor the "Stop Here On Red [arrow pointing at stop bar]" sign is marked as optional.  Control can also be effected by flaggers or AFADs.

This is good to know, because I thought the sign was optional. I don't remember seeing it all the time. Then again, non-flagger temp signals are quite rare in general.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on June 19, 2020, 06:20:42 PMThis is good to know, because I thought the sign was optional. I don't remember seeing it all the time. Then again, non-flagger temp signals are quite rare in general.

I suspect regional preference plays a role.  In Kansas, temporary tricolor signal installations are very common for work on two-lane rural state highway bridges--each signal comes on its own trailer with a folding truss for overhead mounting so it can be seen a long way away.  I can't even remember the last time I saw a flagger on a Kansas project.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

plain

Quote from: Bruce on June 20, 2020, 02:21:44 AM
Spotted in Lynnwood, WA:

I remember seeing a sign very similar to this in NC a long time ago but I can't remember where.
Newark born, Richmond bred

CoreySamson

About that narrow lane sign:

I remember my online driving course noted a yellow diamond version of that sign without the words "NARROW LANE" for narrow bridges. However, I think that sign is the first one in the real world I've ever seen.

Is this narrow lane depiction a relatively new addition to the MUTCD? I know plenty of places in my county alone where that sign would work.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

jakeroot

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 20, 2020, 01:39:19 PM
Is this narrow lane depiction a relatively new addition to the MUTCD? I know plenty of places in my county alone where that sign would work.

As far as I know, the only thing resembling this "narrow lane" sign was the "narrow bridge" sign (W5-2A) that was originally included in the 1988 MUTCD, but was removed from the 2000 edition:

(Photo by me, near Olympia, WA).

roadfro

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 20, 2020, 01:39:19 PM
About that narrow lane sign:

I remember my online driving course noted a yellow diamond version of that sign without the words "NARROW LANE" for narrow bridges. However, I think that sign is the first one in the real world I've ever seen.

That sign uses an adaption of the symbol from the "narrow bridge" symbolic warning sign (W5-2a) that used to be in the MUTCD. The symbol sign was removed from the MUTCD starting with the 2003 edition.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

hbelkins

I never understood why the "narrow bridge" graphic sign was removed and replaced with text. Back in the 1970s when the graphic signs came into vogue, I imagined what a "narrow bridge" graphic sign would look like, and when it was finally introduced, it was nearly identical to what I had conceived. The rollback to text baffles me. The design seems pretty intuitive and self-explanatory to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

M3100

Kind of a do-it-yourself crossbuck with a faded Yield sign.  Pier B Street (an alternate route for CA 47), Long Beach, CA; Pacific Harbor Lines RR (heritage SP).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.