News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

DUI Safety Corridor on CA 44, I've never seen anything like this before in California:

IMG_5273 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

A stand alone CA 16 shield overlay affixed to a BGS on I-5.  Its easy to see why the BGS spade variant omits "California" because it is unreadable at speed:

16CAa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Verlanka

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2020, 10:30:15 PM
DUI Safety Corridor on CA 44, I've never seen anything like this before in California:

DUI Safety Corridor? How many drinking-related accidents has the road seen in the past year?

rte66man

Was in Tulsa, OK this weekend and saw a series of the UGLIEST signs anywhere. All are related to the Creek Turnpike (OK364) eastbound from Sapulpa to Broken Arrow.

EB I-44 at west end of OK364

EB 364 approaching the junction with NB 169

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 10:06:07 AM
Was in Tulsa, OK this weekend and saw a series of the UGLIEST signs anywhere. All are related to the Creek Turnpike (OK364) eastbound from Sapulpa to Broken Arrow.

Probably just stuck shields on existing signs when the Pikes became state highways.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Verlanka on September 07, 2020, 05:15:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 06, 2020, 10:30:15 PM

DUI Safety Corridor? How many drinking-related accidents has the road seen in the past year?

I can't imagine very many considering how desolate 44 gets East of Millville.

JoePCool14

Quote from: rte66man on September 07, 2020, 10:06:07 AM

EB I-44 at west end of OK364

EB 364 approaching the junction with NB 169

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of these over on the Redesign This thread before. They are pretty horrendous, more appropriate for the Worst of Road Signs thread!

Edit: I was right! Here's my redesign of the first one that I made a while back.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

rte66man

^^^^^^^^^^^

Got frustrated because I couldn't find that thread so I  posted them here.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

ErmineNotyours

The two extant equation signs in Washington State that I know about:

509 east of the Port of Tacoma.  The state built a new alignment south of the old one right through the port, then swung around to where the old alignment made a T intersection with a road.  This intersection and points north will themselves be bypassed soon when the state builds a new alignment taking 509 directly to I-5.  Google Street View.

525, Lynnwood.  It is on the northbound side only and is not mentioned on the otherwise through SR Web coverage.  At this place was an elaborate ramp system on both sides of the freeway for pedestrians to access bus shelters from the Swamp Creek Park & Ride.  As important as that was, they were summarily removed and the hills were restored to grass.  That removal may or may not be the reason for the equation, somehow accounting for a 10th of a mile.  I found out about it because it was featured on a piece by Feliks Banel on KIRO Radio.  When it was posted it unleashed a rash of anti-goverment comments, and I can no longer find this posting.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Katavia

Oh lordy. Yeah, those CFA signs are nasty. At least they try to make it look somewhat proper (sign shape and colors)... but not always. One location close to my apartment has a "one way" sign, white-on-red and in all-lowercase to boot. They also have a Do Not Enter sign similar to the first image.
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

jakeroot

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 07, 2020, 04:32:28 PM

509 east of the Port of Tacoma.  The state built a new alignment south of the old one right through the port, then swung around to where the old alignment made a T intersection with a road.  This intersection and points north will themselves be bypassed soon when the state builds a new alignment taking 509 directly to I-5.  Google Street View.

525, Lynnwood.  It is on the northbound side only and is not mentioned on the otherwise through SR Web coverage.  At this place was an elaborate ramp system on both sides of the freeway for pedestrians to access bus shelters from the Swamp Creek Park & Ride.  As important as that was, they were summarily removed and the hills were restored to grass.  That removal may or may not be the reason for the equation, somehow accounting for a 10th of a mile.  I found out about it because it was featured on a piece by Feliks Banel on KIRO Radio.  When it was posted it unleashed a rash of anti-goverment comments, and I can no longer find this posting.

Thanks for the update!! Cool that there are more. I've never noticed them before. No surprise they are meant to be small and relatively secretive.

As for those pedestrian ramps, that's very interesting, although might it be due to the straightening of WA-525 at its junction with Hwy 99? That seems like it could have cut off about 1/10 of a mile, although it would have been for both directions. Granted, if Feliks Banel clearly stated that it was due to the pedestrian ramps, fair enough. Although I'd love to see some photos. Best I can do is some older aerial photos that aren't exactly clear.

JoePCool14

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 07, 2020, 06:15:35 PM
Quote from: US71 on September 07, 2020, 05:30:54 PM
Jackson,. Mississippi at Chick-Fil-A

Absolutely ungodly (no pun intended).

I really wish private businesses didn't see traffic signs as a blank slate to do whatever they wanted, as long as it fit their "brand". The all-lowercase lettering is hideous.

paulthemapguy

Wisconsin will sometimes put serifs on their capital I's to help distinguish them from lowercase L's, a practice I appreciate.  Do any other places do this?

https://goo.gl/maps/sZWzyduf153Su7BQ7
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JoePCool14

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 08, 2020, 10:33:49 AM
Wisconsin will sometimes put serifs on their capital I's to help distinguish them from lowercase L's, a practice I appreciate.  Do any other places do this?

Your link took me to Cairo, IL.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on September 08, 2020, 01:45:00 AM

As for those pedestrian ramps, that's very interesting, although might it be due to the straightening of WA-525 at its junction with Hwy 99? That seems like it could have cut off about 1/10 of a mile, although it would have been for both directions. Granted, if Feliks Banel clearly stated that it was due to the pedestrian ramps, fair enough. Although I'd love to see some photos. Best I can do is some older aerial photos that aren't exactly clear.

The equation implies that the shortage happened right there.  The SR 99 junction is further north, and has its own equation implying added distance (003.41B=003.24, but it's unsigned.)  Feliks didn't know why the sign was there, but it would have to be a distance-shortening activity right at whatever project caused it.

STLmapboy

Vermont just doing Vermont things.

The signal placement is redundant enough but a bit random, and are overhead BGSes strictly necessary?
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

wanderer2575

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 09, 2020, 12:54:33 PM
Vermont just doing Vermont things.

The signal placement is redundant enough but a bit random, and are overhead BGSes strictly necessary?

I don't mind overhead BGSs here but...

(1)  I don't like the two different font/shield size combinations.

(2)  I definitely don't like that one US-5 shield has an up arrow and the other US-5 shield has a down arrow.  At a quick glance, that's confusing.  It should be one APL sign over both lanes.

Bruce

Thanks for the update!! Cool that there are more. I've never noticed them before. No surprise they are meant to be small and relatively secretive.

BTW this seems to be the article on KIRO Radio: https://mynorthwest.com/634325/weird-sign-explained/

I didn't know about the whole ramp situation, so I'll have to look into that. Swamp Creek does seem like a decent place for a freeway station (for the one commuter route that actually uses that part of SR 525).

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on September 09, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

BTW this seems to be the article on KIRO Radio: https://mynorthwest.com/634325/weird-sign-explained/

I didn't know about the whole ramp situation, so I'll have to look into that. Swamp Creek does seem like a decent place for a freeway station (for the one commuter route that actually uses that part of SR 525).

Thanks for the link. Still seems a bit confusing though since those markers are supposed to be used where the mile shortening occurs (as was the case on the southeast end of the Narrows Bridge), and no obvious shortening occurred along this stretch of 525, even around the time it was rebuilt/dualled in the late 90s/early 2000s.

machias

tylert120

Quote from: machias on September 09, 2020, 08:04:10 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 08, 2020, 10:33:49 AM

NYSDOT does this along NY 5S for Ilion.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0227429,-75.0503136,3a,75y,117.65h,85.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1swDGrmlkWrRT63H4JDek5jg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Somewhat related, at the PA 56/356 interchange in Westmoreland County, PA, all the signage uses non-conforming g's which as always bugged me. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6174748,-79.6215002,3a,36.7y,281.61h,94.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHwqoMe9ZShVN5XlthxZvDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: Bruce on September 09, 2020, 05:14:11 PM

Thanks.  I got the reporter wrong, but I still stand by the fact that the SR 99 section has its own (unsigned) equation.  Perhaps when they took out the bus pullout they wanted that translated into a mileage shortage.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.