News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on November 08, 2020, 01:53:54 PM
That's an interesting situation to have, why don't they just move the trains to unblock the road?

They do.  Eventually.  But, in between now and then...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Spelled out "JUNCTION" is still the standard for signs on a green background. However, the MUTCD specifies these are only supposed to be used when junctioning multiple routes.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 09, 2020, 02:56:41 PM
Spelled out "JUNCTION" is still the standard for signs on a green background. However, the MUTCD specifies these are only supposed to be used when junctioning multiple routes.

I still want to know why it's BY-PASS and not BYPASS.

Virginia sometimes uses the larger first letter in its "To" banners.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Probably because that it was more commonly spelled with a hyphen when the first MUTCD was written, usage shifted to drop the hyphen as the word became more common, and the sign was never redrawn to remove the hyphen. May be a suggestion to write in to the next MUTCD, since it would probably mean a wider typeface could be used there, enhancing readability.

I also wonder why there's not a M4-2a BYP banner; seems just as clear as ALT or TEMP. Also, why is the JCT plate's dimensions different than the rest of the banners? (Oklahoma normally uses a plate with the same dimensions as the others.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 10, 2020, 12:33:01 AM
Probably because that it was more commonly spelled with a hyphen when the first MUTCD was written, usage shifted to drop the hyphen as the word became more common, and the sign was never redrawn to remove the hyphen. May be a suggestion to write in to the next MUTCD, since it would probably mean a wider typeface could be used there, enhancing readability.

I also wonder why there's not a M4-2a BYP banner; seems just as clear as ALT or TEMP. Also, why is the JCT plate's dimensions different than the rest of the banners? (Oklahoma normally uses a plate with the same dimensions as the others.)

Ohio also uses a banner of similar size to directional banners.

CoreySamson

?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

cjk374

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 16, 2020, 01:57:40 PM
?

Yeah...the dumbest symbol sign they could have ever dreamed up for "Tourist Information (Center). I saw one somewhere one day with an arrow under it. I said to myself, "Hey, if you don't know what's in that direction, I can't help you."
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

amroad17

Quote from: plain on November 09, 2020, 12:47:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 08, 2020, 10:16:07 PM
Quote from: plain on November 08, 2020, 08:42:59 PM
I can't remember where the discussion was concerning the old JUNCTION banners but I drove past a JUNCTION I-64 on an LGS on US 258 NB in Hampton, VA earlier today.

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

My earliest memories of trips through Virginia was that they did not use the standard "JCT" signs prior to intersections, just advance turn signs, but they used "JUNCTION" banners approaching interstate interchanges. Up until a few years ago, there was one of those signs at the eastern end of Alternate US 58 at I-81 in Abingdon.

Yeah I remember when I first came to VA there were many JUNCTION banners at interstate junctions, now it's just JCT. I was surprised when I saw that US 258 LGS, I'm not sure if it was VDOT or Hampton who installed that.

I don't recall seeing any kind of JCT banner at a regular intersection in VA either.
Virginia has never used JCT banners before state/US highway intersections.  The signage is (or used to be--some things have changed since the 1980's) an advance sign such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/a9X76GnQ4oJfPP5R9   Then at the intersection there is this: https://goo.gl/maps/TasyZid4iiwZB33y5

If anyone cares to, you may look along US 58 there at the Airline/Frederick intersection in Portsmouth, VA to see how the signage is for US 17 being the cross street.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

tylert120

Quote from: fillup420 on November 17, 2020, 06:16:17 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on November 16, 2020, 01:57:40 PM
?

reminds me of this one i saw the other day

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0064451,-78.9213576,3a,49.1y,153.36h,87.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfqVAyO7h9ir7H7fqg0wxWg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

That is terrible placement. To the average motorist that looks like the speed limit is maybe 35mph ahead?

For this reason, in Pennsylvania, no other signage is allowed to be on a speed limit or stop sign posts anymore, to avoid confusion. This even includes small SR segment markers.

Ben114

hbelkins

Quote from: Ben114 on November 21, 2020, 01:03:03 PM
I've never seen it as "RTE #" outside of a VMS.

Virginia labels its secondaries as "Rte. XXX" along with the road name at overpasses and underpasses on interstate highways.

plain

Quote from: amroad17 on November 17, 2020, 02:30:50 AM
I can't remember where the discussion was concerning the old JUNCTION banners but I drove past a JUNCTION I-64 on an LGS on US 258 NB in Hampton, VA earlier today.

Image from GSV

My earliest memories of trips through Virginia was that they did not use the standard "JCT" signs prior to intersections, just advance turn signs, but they used "JUNCTION" banners approaching interstate interchanges. Up until a few years ago, there was one of those signs at the eastern end of Alternate US 58 at I-81 in Abingdon.

Yeah I remember when I first came to VA there were many JUNCTION banners at interstate junctions, now it's just JCT. I was surprised when I saw that US 258 LGS, I'm not sure if it was VDOT or Hampton who installed that.

I don't recall seeing any kind of JCT banner at a regular intersection in VA either.
Virginia has never used JCT banners before state/US highway intersections.  The signage is (or used to be--some things have changed since the 1980's) an advance sign such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/a9X76GnQ4oJfPP5R9   Then at the intersection there is this: https://goo.gl/maps/TasyZid4iiwZB33y5

If anyone cares to, you may look along US 58 there at the Airline/Frederick intersection in Portsmouth, VA to see how the signage is for US 17 being the cross street.

It actually depends on the circumstances. VDOT sometimes will do it if the US/State Hwy is a freeway. Here's one on VA 10 NB approaching VA 288

image from GSV

Newark born, Richmond bred

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

plain

Quote from: STLmapboy on November 23, 2020, 09:37:32 PM
Check out this colorful US route shield near Salisbury, MD.

MD has a funny way of signing their business routes... and I like it lmao.

Also, I just realized in my previous post on this thread I said VA 10 NB when I should've said WB.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: plain on November 23, 2020, 04:14:59 PM

Image from GSV

It actually depends on the circumstances. VDOT sometimes will do it if the US/State Hwy is a freeway. Here's one on VA 10 NB approaching VA 288

image from GSV

VDOT also posts JCT banners for secondary routes at times, such as for Chesterfield County SR 653 on US 360.

Oddly, the Richmond District sometimes uses them for relatively minor routes, such as Chesterfield County SR 743 here.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 24, 2020, 01:17:20 PM

Image from GSV

image from GSV

VDOT also posts JCT banners for secondary routes at times, such as for Chesterfield County SR 653 on US 360.

Oddly, the Richmond District sometimes uses them for relatively minor routes, such as Chesterfield County SR 743 here.

Wow.. I've never noticed those before. It's crazy that they'll do it for secondary routes at a regular intersection but not primary

1995hoo

I was screwing around with Street View and I found a sign showing a snowmobile lane....as you approach a US border crossing from Quebec. I've seen plenty of snowmobile crossing signs, but never one in this context. I found myself wondering how many people actually use snowmobiles to cross the border there.

https://goo.gl/maps/xcGCf72xd7RFGfrD8
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ari-s-drives

Here's a diagrammatic sign (if you can classify it as that) on a surface street

amroad17

Quote from: plain on November 24, 2020, 07:56:33 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on November 24, 2020, 01:17:20 PM

Image from GSV

image from GSV

Wow.. I've never noticed those before. It's crazy that they'll do it for secondary routes at a regular intersection but not primary
Correct me if I am wrong, but after reading these few posts about seeing JCT (secondary highway) I seem to recall back in the 1970's and 1980's, mostly along US 17 from the Churchland area to the James River Bridge (not the only places in Virginia I noticed this, but a section of highway fairly close to where I used to live), that there were JUNCTION signs (yes, fully spelled out) posted before every secondary route along the way.  I am not sure if and when some VDOT Districts may have stopped this practice or started to use the abbreviated JCT signs in place of these "classic" postings.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Mapmikey

Quote from: amroad17 on December 01, 2020, 01:47:04 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but after reading these few posts about seeing JCT (secondary highway) I seem to recall back in the 1970's and 1980's, mostly along US 17 from the Churchland area to the James River Bridge (not the only places in Virginia I noticed this, but a section of highway fairly close to where I used to live), that there were JUNCTION signs (yes, fully spelled out) posted before every secondary route along the way.  I am not sure if and when some VDOT Districts may have stopped this practice or started to use the abbreviated JCT signs in place of these "classic" postings.

Yes, "JUNCTION" was in use statewide at one point.

When I lived in the Tidewater area in 1991-93 there were still a couple of these floating around - Diamond Springs Rd approaching US 60 had one, there was a SR 615 JUNCTION sign on US 58 Bus in Virginia Beach and Atlantic Ave SB at US 58 had one.

Here is one that was still up last time I checked on it (a few years back now).  This photo is from 2006 and is on SR 601 in Gloucester County.  This posting may go back to when this was still part of VA 198:

This set made it to the early 2010s before being replaced.  Photo by Froggie, 2007:

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Bruce

Special evacuation signs for a specific dam with segregation between modes in Carnation/Tolt, WA:

ClassicHasClass

Shouldn't that pedestrian sign indicate running, not walking, if the dam fails?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.