News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs denoting Beginning and Ending of speed zones

Started by xonhulu, March 15, 2010, 12:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

I've seen the END signs throughout rural areas of central Virginia, but many such instances are now either signed as having a 55mph speed limit, or simply left unsigned. The opposite direction has reduced speed ahead signage or the newer "(speed limit sign) ahead" warning signs.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Duke87

Quote from: papaT10932 on March 15, 2010, 09:48:00 AM
This is also common in New York State. A sign will be posted that says "End 35 MPH speed zone". This means a return to the state speed limit of 55.

Ah, so that's how it's meant to be interpreted! Those signs have always bothered me. It would seem to beg the question, "okay, end 35, begin what?". I was taught (in Connecticut) that the speed limit is 30 unless otherwise posted, which makes no sense in these circumstances.

I suppose if I had learned to drive in New York, I would have been taught this... :-|
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

deathtopumpkins

I learned to drive here but didn't know our equivalent.  ;-)
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

xonhulu

Quote from: Truvelo on March 16, 2010, 03:18:30 PM
I've seen BEGIN SCHOOL ZONE.

END SCHOOL ZONE is more acceptable, as these usually only apply part of the day and week.

roadfro

Quote from: xonhulu on March 16, 2010, 09:17:45 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on March 16, 2010, 03:18:30 PM
I've seen BEGIN SCHOOL ZONE.

END SCHOOL ZONE is more acceptable, as these usually only apply part of the day and week.

A begin school zone sign isn't necessary, because the school speed limit sign/assembly establishes the beginning of school zones. An "END SCHOOL ZONE" is required.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

New York ends school zones with a regular speed limit sign.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

deathtopumpkins

Virginia posts the "End School Zone" sign together with a regular speed limit sign.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

joseph1723

Ontario also posts a regular speed limit sign at the end of a school zone.

Michael

Quote from: deanej on March 17, 2010, 11:36:06 AM
New York ends school zones with a regular speed limit sign.

The City of Auburn has been posting "END SCHOOL ZONE" signs below the "SPEED LIMIT 30" signs at the end of a school zone to comply with the 2009 MUTCD.

roadfro

Areas of Nevada have been inconsistent with the "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign. Sometimes, just a regular speed limit sign is used. Sometimes, the end zone sign is accompanied by a speed limit sign shortly downstream, and sometimes they're both on the same pole (speed limit on top).

The current MUTCD clarifies that a "END SCHOOL ZONE" sign must be used, and that a speed limit sign may be placed above it. There are additional provisions if the zone is marked as a higher/double fine zone.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.