Non-Road Boards > Sports

2026 FIFA World Cup

<< < (15/17) > >>

NWI_Irish96:

--- Quote from: mgk920 on June 23, 2022, 09:02:50 AM ---I'm also a bit surprised that the Rose Bowl was ultimately rejected as a hosting venue.  IMHO, it is the closest thing to a 'national' stadium that the USA has and has already hosted two WC championship games.  The men in 1994 and women a few years later.

Mike

--- End quote ---

SoFi stadium is much more modern (and climate controlled) and they were never going to have two sites in the same metro area.

thspfc:

--- Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on June 23, 2022, 09:28:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: mgk920 on June 23, 2022, 09:02:50 AM ---I'm also a bit surprised that the Rose Bowl was ultimately rejected as a hosting venue.  IMHO, it is the closest thing to a 'national' stadium that the USA has and has already hosted two WC championship games.  The men in 1994 and women a few years later.

Mike

--- End quote ---

SoFi stadium is much more modern (and climate controlled) and they were never going to have two sites in the same metro area.

--- End quote ---
The exact same can be said of Jerry World compared to the Cotton Bowl.

triplemultiplex:
The last time they did this in The States, didn't FIFA make them put real grass in all the domes they used?

NWI_Irish96:

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 23, 2022, 02:50:40 PM ---The last time they did this in The States, didn't FIFA make them put real grass in all the domes they used?

--- End quote ---

Yes and I'm sure they'll have to do it again.

1995hoo:

--- Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 23, 2022, 02:50:40 PM ---The last time they did this in The States, didn't FIFA make them put real grass in all the domes they used?

--- End quote ---

Not just in the dome (there was only one used, the Silverdome) but in the outdoor venues as well. Giants Stadium had an AstroTurf field in normal use and they had to put down temporary grass for the World Cup. While by all accounts FieldTurf is much closer to real grass than AstroTurf is, it almost certainly won't matter. Recall how some of the women's players brought a sex discrimination lawsuit against FIFA for allowing portions of the 2015 Women's World Cup in Canada to be played on artificial turf despite requiring real grass for the men's World Cup. I believe they ultimately agreed to dismiss the case and I don't know whether there was a settlement as part of that, but at least two venues for next year's Women's World Cup (Dunedin and Melbourne) will be using hybrid grass that contains artificial fibers. I understand FIFA are still stricter about it as to the men's World Cup, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version