News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MNHighwayMan RIP

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, April 13, 2020, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I have been trying to decide the appropriateness of sharing this, but sadly I have learned forum user MNHighwayMan has died this winter at the age of 27. He had not logged in since February, and while many of us assumed he was simply on hiatus from the board, unfortunately I was led to this sad truth. I will miss his contributions here and the connections we shared.

Mods are welcome to remove the obit if considered too personal.

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/sctimes/obituary.aspx?n=patrick-stewart-meade&pid=195685889&referrer=0&preview=True
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Thank you for sharing this with us, I think that's the right thing to do.
I am taken aback and very saddened to hear that, and will sincerely miss him on the forum.

Max Rockatansky

Well that's pretty damn horrible to hear.  I was kind of wondering if something was up considering how frequent he was on the Sign Collecting thread until recently.

ozarkman417

This is very unfortunate to hear. I think 27 is far too soon, he had a great life ahead of him.
I do wonder where all those signs will be going. This is actually the second time today someone has told me someone has died.

Rothman

What a tragedy.  He will be missed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

I feel like we've lost a little more of ourselves today, even though he'd departed several weeks ago.

Henry

To die from alcohol addiction at any age is indeed tragic, especially when it's 27. That being said, my thoughts and prayers are with the Meade family, as they grieve the loss of their son/brother/grandson/nephew/cousin.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

There have been more than a few folks who've been on various road forums who are no longer with us.

Randy Hersh, Stanley Cline, Earl Ma (best known as a NASCAR photographer but he also occasionally posted on MTR back in the day), and recently I learned that Larry Sheldon had died.

Any others?

The obituary itself is interesting. It's not often that you see that type of bluntness and openness about the cause of death.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2020, 11:29:41 AM
The obituary itself is interesting. It's not often that you see that type of bluntness and openness about the cause of death.

It's become a little more of a trend in younger deaths from preventable/treatable causes like addiction and suicide, in order to draw awareness and reduce the stigma of discussing the issues that lead to them so someone else may be able to come forward and get help before it's too late.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

Given that alcohol addiction was referenced, and apparently he'd been hospitalized, I wonder if the cause of death wasn't liver issues resulting from alcohol abuse.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2020, 03:41:05 PM
Given that alcohol addiction was referenced, and apparently he'd been hospitalized, I wonder if the cause of death wasn't liver issues resulting from alcohol abuse.

Not to speculate but I recently had a Aunt that died from alcohol poisoning, we didn't even know she started drinking again. Either way alcoholism is a total bitch once it gets you and it can almost be impossible to fully recover from.

seicer

And you can die from withdraw, which is one of the reasons as to why liquor stores are considered essential businesses.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2020, 11:29:41 AM
There have been more than a few folks who've been on various road forums who are no longer with us.

Randy Hersh, Stanley Cline, Earl Ma (best known as a NASCAR photographer but he also occasionally posted on MTR back in the day), and recently I learned that Larry Sheldon had died.

Any others?

Patrick Humphrey passed away too.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

webny99

Most of us probably know someone who has suffered from alcoholism at some point or another, so I think this is an important conversation to have. I've known both: some people that have successfully recovered (to date), and others than have ended up passing away because of it. It gets much worse every time it relapses, so if you manage to recover, you have to be incredibly committed to never go back to it again.

Only 27 years old is so young, too. MNHighwayMan was very much a forum regular, but I never even knew or had the slightest indication that he struggled with this, which is why this heartbreaking news is taking a long time for me personally to understand and digest. I find myself reflecting on our past conversations and wondering what I could have done to help if I had known.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2020, 08:52:38 PM
Most of us probably know someone who has suffered from alcoholism at some point or another, so I think this is an important conversation to have. I've known both: some people that have successfully recovered (to date), and others than have ended up passing away because of it. It gets much worse every time it relapses, so if you manage to recover, you have to be incredibly committed to never go back to it again.

Only 27 years old is so young, too. MNHighwayMan was very much a forum regular, but I never even knew or had the slightest indication that he struggled with this, which is why this heartbreaking news is taking a long time for me personally to understand and digest. I find myself reflecting on our past conversations and wondering what I could have done to help if I had known.

Having played around on message board and usenet for many years, nobody really knows anyone on here - unless they have actually met them in person.  Easy to build and maintain whatever persona you want.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 14, 2020, 08:52:38 PM

I remember an old thread about the forum outage back in 2017 and MNHighwayMan made the thread, and in the description he said he was drunk. Hits different knowing what I know now.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J N Winkler

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 13, 2020, 10:30:05 PMI have been trying to decide the appropriateness of sharing this, but sadly I have learned forum user MNHighwayMan has died this winter at the age of 27. He had not logged in since February, and while many of us assumed he was simply on hiatus from the board, unfortunately I was led to this sad truth. I will miss his contributions here and the connections we shared.

Thank you for letting us know and for linking to his obituary.  I will miss him too.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2020, 11:29:41 AMThere have been more than a few folks who've been on various road forums who are no longer with us.

Larry Sheldon (obituary) is news to me.  His recent Facebook posts did almost prompt me to wonder if he had been given reason to reflect on life.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 14, 2020, 11:29:41 AMThe obituary itself is interesting. It's not often that you see that type of bluntness and openness about the cause of death.

I think every family handles this a little differently, but in recent death notices I've seen it is more common for a cause of death to be openly specified, not just hinted at through the choice of memorials.  I think this may partly be due to GINA and the Obamacare community rating mandate removing much of the fear of cause of death in relatives' obituaries being used as a basis for insurance underwriting.  When my mother died, her obituary gave her cause of death (colon cancer).

In my own genealogical investigations, I have also discovered there is huge variation among states in how easy it is to obtain death certificates.  In Pennsylvania and Texas, for example, it is a free-for-all and I have downloaded over a dozen death certificates for the members of the Scottish branch of my family who died in those two states.  In Kansas, on the other hand, death certificates are not even searchable through the online genealogy services and the state won't supply one unless relationship within the required degree is proved (you must be at least a cousin).  This translates into state-by-state differences in how easy it is to discover a key part of an ancestor's medical history (cause of death) without the involvement of that ancestor or his or her immediate family.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

qguy

Thank you so much for sharing this.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 14, 2020, 09:50:25 PM
I remember an old thread about the forum outage back in 2017 and MNHighwayMan made the thread, and in the description he said he was drunk. Hits different knowing what I know now.

Wow, you're right. I remember that too. It was only a few months after I joined, but it feels like yesterday. So hard to believe it was almost three years ago!

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20455.msg2233032#msg2233032

cjk374

My thoughts & prayers go out to his family for their loss.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

webny99

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 02, 2018, 05:44:50 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2018, 02:28:26 PMhttps://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19530.0
The final comment in that thread is pure gold. :rofl:

I found this in an old thread, and it got me thinking. Our friend MNHighwayMan had a great and in many ways classic roadgeek sense of humor, and certainly added some "pure gold" himself to the forum over the years. So I got to searching, and found a few more that I thought were worthy of posting here. While sad, I found this to be quite an enjoyable exercise, and I hope it's a suitable way to remember him and his presence on this forum now that he has passed away. If this is considered inappropriate or in any way a violation of guidelines, please let me know.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 03, 2020, 09:57:35 AM
Quote from: TheGrassGuy on January 03, 2020, 09:45:07 AM
in certain provinces of China, there are provincial expressways numbered as S01, S02, etc. instead of the usual S1, S2, etc.
I bet there's one or two in the Hundred Acre Wood as well.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 18, 2019, 08:49:01 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on December 18, 2019, 10:45:57 AM
Not sure why you decided to be a pedant on this issue however.
Because I wouldn't be an appropriate AARoads forum user if I weren't a pedant.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on September 03, 2019, 08:18:49 PM
Now if only there were a treatment for capitalizing every word in a post.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on August 16, 2019, 05:06:51 PM
"He just didn't see the roundabout coming."
Damn sneaky bastards. Never know when they'll jump up and overturn a truck or set a van in flight.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 13, 2019, 12:06:08 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 13, 2019, 11:41:28 AM
Whatever you want as a worker, you have to pay for as a consumer.  How many fifteen-dollar Big Macs are you going to be buying?
If Big Macs become fifteen dollars, there is something far, far more rotten in this country than workers demanding to be paid a living wage.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 30, 2019, 10:17:02 AM
Quote from: Henry on May 30, 2019, 10:13:19 AM
Just to clarify, I've been happily married for 27 years
So doing it is quite an accomplishment then! :bigass:

And finally, a nice roadgeek-themed accomplishment of his, posted just a few short months ago.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 03, 2020, 03:55:12 PM
I have finally done it. I have finally acquired a shield from each of the states MSR 200 passes through!

tolbs17

After looking at his profile, today is his birthday! Happy birthday, MNHighwayMan! Cheers!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 23, 2022, 01:32:05 AM
After looking at his profile, today is his birthday! Happy birthday, MNHighwayMan! Cheers!
He would have been 30

tolbs17

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2022, 01:35:01 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 23, 2022, 01:32:05 AM
He would have been 30
Yeah

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.