News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MI: I-296

Started by Alex, February 08, 2009, 04:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Was Interstate 296 in Grand Rapids ever signed in the field?

Hellfighter

No. It only exists on paper, and that's in question now that it's never been used.

Alex

Some early Rand McNally national road atlases feature it on the Grand Rapids insets. I know that mapmakers have been known to jump the gun, but they did better research back then too. Interstate 580 was actually signed in Reno at one point, but it was later removed in favor of just numbering the fwy U.S. 395. I figured that may have been what happened in Grand Rapids, if it was ever signed as Interstate 296 in the first place.

Hellfighter

Nope. And with MDOT replacing all the signs out there with clearview ones that don't show I-296, I don't think we'll ever see it.

mukade

I lived in the Grand Rapids area in the late 1960s and visited there regularly until 1984. I am pretty sure it was signed in the late '60s.

Terry Shea

Yes it was signed at one time.  I believe the signs were removed in the late '70's or thereabouts.  At one time this stretch of freeway included 3 highway designations: Int 296, US 131 and M37.  That was a bit redundant.

leifvanderwall

If MDOT ran its roads like Pennsylvania, I-296 would be from I-196 all the way to Manton or strectched all the way down to Portage.

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 07, 2009, 06:43:28 PM
If MDOT ran its roads like Pennsylvania, I-296 would be from I-196 all the way to Manton or strectched all the way down to Portage.
And they'd slap a heavy toll on it too.  :spin:

leifvanderwall

Maybe there needs to be a toll on that highway. There are so many bridges on 131 that need to be replaced or fixed that it's not even funny.

getemngo

As I showed a couple people at the Grand Rapids meet, I-296 was still marked on Kent County Road Commission maps until at least 1994.  Heck, it still might be today.

Edit: The jurisdictional map, at least, does in fact label it.
~ Sam from Michigan

Terry Shea

Quote from: getemngo on October 11, 2009, 01:24:15 PM
As I showed a couple people at the Grand Rapids meet, I-296 was still marked on Kent County Road Commission maps until at least 1994.  Heck, it still might be today.

Edit: The jurisdictional map, at least, does in fact label it.
I really don't understand why the signage was removed.  I mean it probably didn't make much sense to give this section 2 route numbers in the first place (well 3 actually since M-37 was also signed along this portion at one time), but once it was signed why not leave it?  I mean why spend money for signage and then spend more money to remove signage?  And since signage has been removed, why not transfer the I-296 designation along M-6?  That would make a lot more sense at this point.

leifvanderwall

Well if I was in charge of the MDOT I would put I-296 on M-6, but I think the logic of the Great Lake State is just leave I-296 as a phantom of US 131. Also another thing, if it were a real bypass the Paul Brown Freeway would meet I-96 again over by Marne. I really think the purpose of labeling M-6 is it was meant to be a shortcut to I-196 and the Holland area, not a bypass to Muskegon.

agentsteel53

it was on the official Michigan state map from 1963 to 1980.  Indeed, the signs were abruptly taken down in 1980.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on October 11, 2009, 06:37:44 PM
Well if I was in charge of the MDOT I would put I-296 on M-6, but I think the logic of the Great Lake State is just leave I-296 as a phantom of US 131. Also another thing, if it were a real bypass the Paul Brown Freeway would meet I-96 again over by Marne. I really think the purpose of labeling M-6 is it was meant to be a shortcut to I-196 and the Holland area, not a bypass to Muskegon.
Paul Brown?  And the present unsigned I-296 isn't a bypass by any stretch of the imagination.  Actually M-296 would make more sense than M-6 does.

Tom

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 11, 2009, 06:41:18 PM
it was on the official Michigan state map from 1963 to 1980.  Indeed, the signs were abruptly taken down in 1980.

I remember I-296 being shown on AAA Michigan road maps in the 1960's, also. :coffee:

ftballfan

Both ends of unsigned I-296 are unusual. At its southern end, the lanes are reversed. At its northern end, I-96 exits off of it or becomes the two left lanes of I-96 (I-96 is a single lane for a very short segment), depending on what direction you are heading.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.