News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Goethals Bridge Replacement?

Started by Alex, May 12, 2010, 07:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Agency seeks private investors to build bridge

QuoteELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) – Private investors are being sought to build a replacement bridge between New Jersey and New York.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey would then lease the privately owned Goethals Bridge from the investor to retain control of the tolls and operations.

The agency is taking the unprecedented step because revenues have fallen sharply during the recession and its debt limit is determined by revenues. Spokesman Steve Sigmund says the Port Authority can't issue bonds to pay the estimated $755 million cost of a new bridge.

The 82-year-old span, which links Elizabeth with Staten Island, has two lines in each direction with no shoulder.

Preliminary plans for the new bridge call for three lanes in each direction with a right-of-way in the middle that could accommodate a light or heavy rail line in the future.

M3019C LPS20

I lived on Staten Island for almost 20 years, and that bridge definitely needs to be replaced.

Yes, it is a nice bridge (aesthetically pleasing); however, it is just too old. The lanes are too narrow, too, which is something I highly despise.

My father's brother works for the P.A. of New York and New Jersey, and they are still in the process of searching for the right design for the "new bridge." It seems that the future is rather bright. I expect to hear updates eventually.

roadman65

I will believe it when I see it!  I have been told over the years, including PA spokespeople from a letter I wrote to them back in the 1990s  that a twin was to be built, but the people of Staten Island did not want it.  It was then decided to leave the structure as is. This was the previous solution to the existing problem, I doubt if the same people who did not show interest in the twin Goethals Bridge proposal are now changing their mind to a more modern replacement that will use the same ROW as the previous twin span, or at least that easily.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadmaestro95

I despise of that bridge in all of its' entirety. It is WAY too narrow, too old, and very dangerous sometimes. Last time I went on it, my car almost got hit by a car carrying tractor trailer, which was swerving back and forth because of the winds that day (and that the tractor trailer did not even fit in the lane). I would love to see this beauty get trashed into a new one (which is being proposed by the PA of NY/NJ). I have a link to what the new bridge could look like here: http://www.panynj.gov/goethalsbridge/
Hope everyone is safe!

Roadsguy

I wish the new one would be eight-lane, or room to (pretty safely) shoehorn it in.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 20, 2013, 08:35:35 AM
I wish the new one would be eight-lane, or room to (pretty safely) shoehorn it in.
It seems like a moving target - the bridge was supposed to be built by now.

Lytton

Well, I can see this scenario happening.

The bridge will be closed off to motorists while they take down the old bridge, and they would have to shut off the toll booths for a while, and divert people to take Exit 3.

Then, they will have to either have to direct people onto the Bayonne Bridge or Outerbridge Crossing in order to get to New Jersey from Staten Island, while they are building the replacement bridge.
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.