Forum Administrator/Moderator Appreciation Thread

Started by ZLoth, March 22, 2024, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I'm surprised no one has done this before, and sometimes it takes some downtime, but....

Here is an appreciation to the forum administrators and moderators who keep AARoads up and running and the place that it is.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kurumi

+1 to that.

It's like a gated community, but welcomes newcomers; if you're interested in roads, and not a troll, you can find a home here. The tent is big enough that historians, road trippers, sign collectors, fictional highway buffs, TV commercial aficionados, and people in the industry (and more) can belong.

There are currently 4,669 members here. How many of them got started, and expanded their interests and talents, primarily because this forum exists?

I'm glad we didn't all end up in some discord. Instead, we have searchable forums and a public wiki. Definitely "giving back" to the world in the old-fashioned sense of the internet.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

MikieTimT

+2

Thanks for the countless and thankless (at least until now!) hours sacrificed in the service of roadgeekery.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Big John

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

jlam

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2024, 02:45:30 PM
Thank you for doing a thankless job.

Yep.  Thanks for putting up with our childlike behavior, guys.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

74/171FAN

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2024, 04:03:35 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 22, 2024, 02:45:30 PM
Thank you for doing a thankless job.

Yep.  Thanks for putting up with our childlike behavior, guys.

Can I say "Plus 277" then?  :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

freebrickproductions

I'm gonna second/third/fourth the above comments. This forum is honestly an enjoyable one to browse.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Alex

Greatly appreciate the comments everyone! While I will be the first to admit that the forum has its issues, it is still a place where the road community can get together, commiserate, rant, etc. If it was not written before, we hit the 15 year mark with the forum in January, and we could not have kept it going without the encouragement and support of you guys and many others in the road community.

There are times when I want to just throw in the towel and call it good, especially when the forum goes down or major issues with former members arise. When forum problems take over every aspect in my personal life until I get them resolved, that's when I think about closing it the most. And I will be the first to admit that I hate it when I am tasked with picking a side, especially if I know both parties involved...
But closing the forum would leave us all with Facebook likely as the main way to talk roads, plus platforms like Discord. What I like about the forum is the ability to search for previous topics and posts, whereas in Facebook, if you don't see a post within a short period of it being made, you likely may never know it existed. Couple that aspect with the unfriendly (IMO) method to search for previous posts in a group...

I also find the posts made here are a huge resource when it comes to researching a road construction project. The comradery is great as well, and I have gotten to know several members offline over the years as a result of this forum. I know that the photo aspect could be better, given that you need to host pictures independently of the forum, so not everything is perfect.

There are times where our moderators butt heads with members. There will always be the aspect that roadgeeks are more anal about their own area, and thus believe they are the local authority for anything regarding to roads in said areas. So that undoubtedly is one of the reasons where disputes arise. Other disputes also cause some members to leave for good. I would prefer the forum to be welcoming for all with an interest in roads, but a negative experience can leave some feeling that is not the case.

As long as their remains an interest in the forum, I'll strive to keep it going.

Alex

Is this thing on? Well it appears to be the case following many hours of mind numbing database work. Basically reconstructed the forum in an entirely new database, while making sure the table structure matched from SMF 2.0.19 to SMF 2.1.4. The messages table alone for the forum is 1.048 GB in size, so had to partition that into several smaller files to do the import.

This upgrade should end the long load times and time outs associated with the PHP depreciation, though there is one other code issue to address.

CtrlAltDel

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

If you'd appreciate a long-distance ordered pizza or anything else as a token of thanks for your efforts, let me know.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Alex on March 25, 2024, 12:50:30 PMIs this thing on? Well it appears to be the case following many hours of mind numbing database work. Basically reconstructed the forum in an entirely new database, while making sure the table structure matched from SMF 2.0.19 to SMF 2.1.4. The messages table alone for the forum is 1.048 GB in size, so had to partition that into several smaller files to do the import.

This upgrade should end the long load times and time outs associated with the PHP depreciation, though there is one other code issue to address.

Y'all's hard work is greatly appreciated!
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Glad it's back up and running.  Tapatalk is having a hard time figuring out unread and most recent posts...but, when did Tapatalk ever not have some sort of quirk?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Rothman on March 26, 2024, 12:05:57 PMGlad it's back up and running.  Tapatalk is having a hard time figuring out unread and most recent posts...but, when did Tapatalk ever not have some sort of quirk?

SMF changed that up.  That's why.

If you're on the site itself here's how it now works:

Unread Posts = All unread posts since you last logged in.

Updated Topics = Posts that you've subscribed to in the past.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on March 26, 2024, 12:05:57 PMGlad it's back up and running.  Tapatalk is having a hard time figuring out unread and most recent posts...but, when did Tapatalk ever not have some sort of quirk?
At least the board itself now plays nice with mobile.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Voyager

Quote from: Alex on March 25, 2024, 12:50:30 PMIs this thing on? Well it appears to be the case following many hours of mind numbing database work. Basically reconstructed the forum in an entirely new database, while making sure the table structure matched from SMF 2.0.19 to SMF 2.1.4. The messages table alone for the forum is 1.048 GB in size, so had to partition that into several smaller files to do the import.

Let me know if you want some help.  :spin:
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

odditude

from someone who's largely a lurker but has experience moderating and performing frontend-only admin duties on another board, thank you very much for your time and effort - I hope the frustrations and aggravations stay background noise and that this doesn't turn into a chore.

also, great job on getting the board back up after the deprecation snafu.

Rothman

Holy cow.  It does work better on mobile now.  Well done, team!

BigRedDog

Longtime lurker, very infrequent poster here. Just want to add my thanks to everyone keeping the forum up and running. Your time is appreciated!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.