News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Do proletarian roots mean bubble gum busting knowhow?

Started by bandit957, April 04, 2018, 01:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Do they?

My amazing business partner insists that people of a working-class economic background are more talented at blowing bubbles with bubble gum than those with more opulent roots. I fully agree with her about this. Of course there are exceptions, but by and large, this observation appears to be correct.

Our theory is that those of us of normal means are much less likely to undergo cosmetic dentistry procedures. Straight teeth seem to hinder bubbling capability. If you have perfectly aligned chompers, you might find that blowing a bubble is tough work indeed.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

You would think the super-rich could afford bubbling classes. That they so rarely avail themselves of them speaks to the great turpitude of those of such backgrounds.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

I had orthodontia as a teenager and can blow bubbles just fine.

If there is a relationship between the two, it's probably social class, not economic class.  It's definitely the sort of thing you wouldn't know how to do if you didn't have a parent or sibling to teach you how.  My parents don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission and have never owned one, which means my brother and I don't know how to drive a car with a manual transmission and have never owned one, either.

freebrickproductions

This is probably the best thread title I've ever seen.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Duke87

Quote from: bandit957 on April 04, 2018, 01:26:05 AM
Our theory is that those of us of normal means are much less likely to undergo cosmetic dentistry procedures. Straight teeth seem to hinder bubbling capability. If you have perfectly aligned chompers, you might find that blowing a bubble is tough work indeed.

Have you considered that perhaps people from more moneyed backgrounds are just less likely to chew bubblegum in general? Sitting there blowing bubbles is comparatively boring if your family can afford plenty of fancy toys for you to play with.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jakeroot

Wait...people actually blow bubbles? Isn't that kind of childish? Or even a 90's thing? I can't recall the last time I saw someone even chewing gum. Most people instinctively hide it because it's perceived to be quite rude (at least where I'm from).

Rich people are typically more mature than poor people, so they are far less likely to exhibit childish behavior, like blowing bubbles. They simply don't get as much practice.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Jeff Bezos is leaning against the wall of one of his giant skyscrapers in Seattle, right next to the main door, blowing giant bubbles....yeah, not computing.

EDIT: thread title is very reminiscent of SimCity news story titles: Broccoli Tops For Moms, Last For Kids; Dads Indifferent...Kitty Kibble Association Flooded With Letters: Where Is Kitty Kibble?

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 01:27:31 AM
Wait...people actually blow bubbles? Isn't that kind of childish? Or even a 90's thing? I can't recall the last time I saw someone even chewing gum. Most people instinctively hide it because it's perceived to be quite rude (at least where I'm from).

Back in my day, both children and adults blew huge bubbles all the time - even in public.

Baseball players still do it.

Max Rockatansky

A true Bolshevik would never be seen bubbling. 

cjk374

It has been awhile since I had gum or bubbled. But my mom taught me how & I am a blue collar broke-ass. Your theory holds up so far.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2018, 12:36:31 PM
A true Bolshevik would never be seen bubbling. 

Nor any member of the Chinese dynasty families of yore.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on April 07, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

Back in my day, both children and adults blew huge bubbles all the time - even in public.

That's disgusting. Glad I grew up when I did.

I see baseball players chewing gum, but not blowing bubbles.

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 02:17:08 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on April 07, 2018, 11:49:17 AM

That's disgusting. Glad I grew up when I did.

I see baseball players chewing gum, but not blowing bubbles.

That ain't gum baseball players are chewing.  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

^^ chewing tobacco is now banned in the minor leagues, and firft-year players i the Majors.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on April 07, 2018, 06:25:40 PM
firft-year players i the Majors.

I rarely comment on spelling, but I'm genuinely unsure of what was trying to be said here.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 09:12:15 PM

I rarely comment on spelling, but I'm genuinely unsure of what was trying to be said here.

My guess is "first-year players in the Majors".
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

Quote from: 1 on April 07, 2018, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 09:12:15 PM

My guess is "first-year players in the Majors".
yes.  Stupid typos.  X-(

jakeroot

I do find it odd that only first-year players are banned from chewing tobacco. I suspect individual teams have stricter rules? Seems like the kind of behavior that GMs wouldn't want their teams or players to be known by.

Hell, how many sports allow players to smoke/chew during game time at all? I know the NFL doesn't permit it, and neither does the NHL or NBA.

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 11:16:36 PM
I do find it odd that only first-year players are banned from chewing tobacco. I suspect individual teams have stricter rules? Seems like the kind of behavior that GMs wouldn't want their teams or players to be known by.

The CBA allows for it after the first year.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on April 07, 2018, 11:22:21 PM

Chinese basketball? No surprise, Asia has, and continues to be big into smoking.

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 11:31:19 PM

Chinese basketball? No surprise, Asia has, and continues to be big into smoking.
CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement (between players and management).

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on April 07, 2018, 11:34:08 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2018, 11:31:19 PM

CBA = Collective Bargaining Agreement (between players and management).

Oh. I see this is a new rule. Only a matter of time before it's outlawed entirely, I'm sure.

bandit957

Pete Rose used to be on a committee sponsored by Bubblicious that discouraged chewing tobacco use by baseball players. Also, Pete Rose used to bubble.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bandit957 on April 08, 2018, 12:50:58 AM
Pete Rose used to be on a committee sponsored by Bubblicious that discouraged chewing tobacco use by baseball players. Also, Pete Rose used to bubble.

But Pete Rose turned out to be Pete Rose.  Maybe he should have dipped and wouldn't have been such a disappointment to everyone with his generalized scummy nature.

jakeroot

Quote from: bandit957 on April 08, 2018, 12:50:58 AM

I would prefer gum chewing to tobacco chewing, so credit where credit's due.

bugo

Rich people are typically more mature than poor people, so they are far less likely to exhibit childish behavior, like blowing bubbles. They simply don't get as much practice.

That is offensive and in my experience, false.

Bruce

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Jeff Bezos is leaning against the wall of one of his giant skyscrapers in Seattle, right next to the main door, blowing giant bubbles....yeah, not computing.

Jeff did make three bubbles:

Amazon Spheres from Day 1 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.