News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Effingham Outer Belt Road (IL)

Started by Alex, March 27, 2012, 02:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Saw this road on the aerials just west of I-57/70 and did a search for it and found this article. It opened fully on December 21, 2011.

Outer Belt West project completed

QuoteOuter Belt West North connects Avenue of Mid America to Illinois 32/33 on North Keller Drive, wrapping around the northwest side of the Firefly Grill and coming out near Ford Avenue. It's the final portion of the Outer Belt road, which gives motorists a straight shot from U.S. 40 to the north side of the city and allows them to avoid notoriously traffic-congested Keller Drive.

Also known as Robert F. Utz Beltway, construction began on the road in 2004 when the three-term mayor was in office. Work included improvements to West Evergreen and the extension of Avenue of Mid America. At that time, Outer Belt was created and stretched only as far as a little south of Interstate Truck Repair.

In 2007, construction began on the second leg, which connected the piece of roadway near the truck repair facility and ran south to West Fayette Avenue. The third leg ran from there to U.S. 40, leaving the final portion left to be completed, Outer Belt West North.

Ground was broken on the final half-mile portion more than a year ago.

QuoteTotal cost of the Outer Belt project came to nearly $15.7 million, with about $10.5 million coming from grant funding.

kphoger

Back when I was driving in that area, I was fortunate enough to either be going from I-57 North to IL-33/32 West, or actually heading into Effingham itself.  Rarely did I have to drive through town.  But I remember the construction zones, just didn't know what it was all about.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Outer belt seems like an overly fancy name; it's closer to a service drive for I-57/70.  It is visible on the satellite view in Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=39.1252,-88.566198&spn=0.028132,0.066047&t=h&z=15

JREwing78

Exactly. It also appears to have not been built with any ROW in place to allow for widening. That'll probably be shown in 20-30 years to have been a mistake.

Brandon

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 01, 2012, 12:03:05 PM
Exactly. It also appears to have not been built with any ROW in place to allow for widening. That'll probably be shown in 20-30 years to have been a mistake.

In Effingham?  I doubt they'll see all that much traffic on it.  It's not like we're talking about Aurora or Minooka here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

adt1982

I go to and through Effingham on a fairly regularly basis and I agree with this.  Effingham isn't now nor will it be an expanding area like you see closer to Chicago to the Metro East.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.