News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I assume most of us have seen the ordinary diamond-shaped signs advising of what the lower speed limit ahead will be (in lieu of the generic black-on-white "Reduce Speed Ahead" sign).

As familiar as those are, I can't say as I've ever seen any this big before. Seen yesterday on southbound US-15 in Maryland approaching the Frederick area. They certainly caught the eye!

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Another odd sign assembly I saw yesterday....Street View is clearer than my dashcam in this case. Seen in the town of Gettysburg, it's a standard STOP sign with a black-on-white "EXCEPT RIGHT TURN" underneath it. I can't say I recall seeing this sort of thing handled that way ever before. This spot likely sees a fair amount of traffic because it's on the Barlow Knoll segment of the Gettysburg Auto Tour. (I've been to the battlefield many times but had never done any of the Auto Tour before because when I was growing up we always hiked the battlefield.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.836879,-77.235314,3a,66.8y,293.34h,79.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sVkiLrL1TnkGmd66r6fCOQg!2e0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 24, 2015, 04:29:50 PM
Another odd sign assembly I saw yesterday....Street View is clearer than my dashcam in this case. Seen in the town of Gettysburg, it's a standard STOP sign with a black-on-white "EXCEPT RIGHT TURN" underneath it. I can't say I recall seeing this sort of thing handled that way ever before. This spot likely sees a fair amount of traffic because it's on the Barlow Knoll segment of the Gettysburg Auto Tour. (I've been to the battlefield many times but had never done any of the Auto Tour before because when I was growing up we always hiked the battlefield.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.836879,-77.235314,3a,66.8y,293.34h,79.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sVkiLrL1TnkGmd66r6fCOQg!2e0
There's quite a few of those in PA.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

That seems to be a common assembly in Pennsylvania.  I've seen that sign combo in a number of places in Western PA.

Big John

^^ "EXCEPT RIGHT TURN" is MUTCD standard W1-10P for under the stop sign.

jemacedo9

I was somewhere in Central PA a couple of weeks ago (I clinched PA 235), and somewhere in there was an "EXCEPT RIGHT TURN" under a YIELD sign...only time I've ever seen that combo.  I wish I remembered the exact location...it was a T intersection where I would have expected a STOP sign with the EXCEPT RIGHT TURN...

freebrickproductions

Got a few of them here in Huntsville, AL as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

jakeroot

For some reason, I don't remember seeing these "Historic US-99" markers along WA-99. This one was taken near Des Moines.

Inexplicably, about half of them are placed below speed limit signs.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on August 28, 2015, 05:42:14 PM
For some reason, I don't remember seeing these "Historic US-99" markets along WA-99. This one was taken near Des Moines.

!!

Finally! I hope a few will make their way north up to Snohomish County.

thefraze_1020

For some reason, I don't remember seeing these "Historic US-99" markets along WA-99. This one was taken near Des Moines.

That is "best of" material, simply because I have been waiting years for these to be put up. If not "best of", then "best of Washington".
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

noelbotevera

For some reason, I don't remember seeing these "Historic US-99" markers along WA-99. This one was taken near Des Moines.

It reminds me of the Burma Shave ads that have to do with speeding in the Arizona desert. It just doesn't make sense.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jakeroot

Saw this sign yesterday on my way into Joint Base Lewis-McChord McChord AFB along East Gate Drive...I matched up the text in Illustrator. It is definitely Transport:

bassoon1986

And you thought fraction routes were only in West Virginia. This is located in Minden, LA.

79 over 80 Minden by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

noelbotevera

Quote from: bassoon1986 on September 01, 2015, 02:08:01 PM
And you thought fraction routes were only in West Virginia. This is located in Minden, LA.

79 over 80 Minden by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr
That's actually the old style of signing the US 79/US 80 concurrency.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

bassoon1986

I had forgotten how many 79/80 signs there actually were in northwest Louisiana. I found 7 on streetview. There are always approaching junctions and never mainline shields. Here are a couple:

East bound US 80 turning onto Texas St. in downtown Shreveport. Very small and narrow digits.
US 80 east bound Shreveport by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

Coming off the exit ramp at exit 8 on I-20 in Shreveport
I-20 Exit 8 by Josh Bumgardner, on Flickr

ethanhopkin14

roadfro

I don't think I've ever seen something like this, essentially an "advance end" assembly. Not sure why that would even be necessary...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mapmikey

Quote from: roadfro on September 03, 2015, 03:13:09 AM
I don't think I've ever seen something like this, essentially an "advance end" assembly. Not sure why that would even be necessary...

presumably because the route does not end at another state maintained highway...not super familiar with Texas to know if in the other instances of that you would see a similar posting...

North Carolina has a couple state routes with advance warning END signs (NC 184 and US 76)

Mike

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 03, 2015, 06:22:24 AM

presumably because the route does not end at another state maintained highway...not super familiar with Texas to know if in the other instances of that you would see a similar posting...

North Carolina has a couple state routes with advance warning END signs (NC 184 and US 76)

Mike

It is very rare to see an END assembly in Texas, even at the exact end of the highway period.  Just not a TxDOT thing.  And I have never seen an END assembly telling you exactly where the end is in any state.  I have seen the WARNING END before, but never an exact distance down to the foot.

It was so odd I couldn't stop staring at it. :-D

It is for the purpose of letting you know the road continues after the state designation stops, but the way that usually goes down in Texas is there will be a small rectangular sign, black letters on a white field that reads "STATE MAINTENANCE ENDS", and when you are going the opsoite direction, the shield will be displayed with the same rectangular sign reading "STATE MAINTENANCE BEGINS".

Example, but they are not on the same assembly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2879817,-98.0678835,3a,17.7y,127.36h,86.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN_cH9YLaXINWmakqi7bulA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

JCinSummerfield

Ohio does it with I-280 NB.  The end assemble is on an overhead BGS, 1 mile before the junction with I-75.  I believe that OH-15 WB is the same, near the junction with US-23.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on September 03, 2015, 01:10:59 PM

Ohio does it with I-280 NB.  The end assemble is on an overhead BGS, 1 mile before the junction with I-75.  I believe that OH-15 WB is the same, near the junction with US-23.

I don't recall seeing a ground-mounted assembly as described above with advanced warning of a route number that ends, but I have seen BGSs (both overhead and ground-mounted) with such info.

These 2 in NJ, for example:

https://goo.gl/maps/y8ICH

https://goo.gl/maps/fDaHB

vtk

Also I-670 EB has an advance end BGS at a distance of, IIRC, 1¼ miles. And then no further mention of 670 at all, even at its actual end.

OH 315 SB has an end assembly a bit before its actual terminus, but it appears to say 315 ends right there. I wonder if there was once a distance plaque posted below the shield...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

bassoon1986

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on September 03, 2015, 09:39:44 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on September 03, 2015, 06:22:24 AM

Mike

It is very rare to see an END assembly in Texas, even at the exact end of the highway period.  Just not a TxDOT thing.  And I have never seen an END assembly telling you exactly where the end is in any state.  I have seen the WARNING END before, but never an exact distance down to the foot.

It was so odd I couldn't stop staring at it. :-D

It is for the purpose of letting you know the road continues after the state designation stops, but the way that usually goes down in Texas is there will be a small rectangular sign, black letters on a white field that reads "STATE MAINTENANCE ENDS", and when you are going the opsoite direction, the shield will be displayed with the same rectangular sign reading "STATE MAINTENANCE BEGINS".

Example, but they are not on the same assembly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2879817,-98.0678835,3a,17.7y,127.36h,86.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sN_cH9YLaXINWmakqi7bulA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I remember seeing a good many of those signs for FM routes in Texas. They are usually in rural areas or at places where the highway does not end at another numbered highway. Many times the road would lose state maintenance and turn to gravel.

thenetwork

I-77 North has a BGS announcing it's end approaching I-90 in Downtown Cleveland:

https://goo.gl/maps/4azIZ

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.