News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Kroger to buy Albertsons?

Started by elsmere241, October 13, 2022, 03:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Shaw's has a union. Would this change? I seem to remember that Kroger also has one, but I'm not sure.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Bruce

Quote from: 1 on February 27, 2024, 06:46:26 PM
Shaw's has a union. Would this change? I seem to remember that Kroger also has one, but I'm not sure.

In the Northwest, all Kroger (Fred Meyer/QFC) and Albertsons (Albertsons/Safeway) are union. The national UFCW opposes the merger but the Local 555 in Oregon/SW Washington endorsed it for some odd reason.

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on February 27, 2024, 06:46:26 PM

Depends on where you are as to if they are union or not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2024, 06:41:06 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 27, 2024, 01:30:48 PM
I'm not many people.  I'm not most people.  I am Kyle, and I am a typical American consumer in Wichita.

You said this wouldn't be good for the typical American consumer anywhere in the country.  Please explain how it will be bad for me.

Wouldn't we need your entire grocery list and bank account balances to do that?

Apparently, |ClassicHasClass| doesn't think so.  He already knows it won't be good for me.

But also, how would that help you determine the answer?  We shop at Aldi and the local Kroger variant.  Would Kroger's acquisition of Albertsons negatively affect the price of the items sold here?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 26, 2024, 03:46:18 PM
... it's not going to be good for the typical American consumer, anywhere in the country.

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2024, 04:21:15 PM
I'm a typical American consumer, somewhere in the country.  How will this be bad for me?

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 26, 2024, 10:36:05 PM
Odds are for many, even most people that they've just reduced the number of grocery companies serving their local area to one (regardless of what the marquee out front says). You'll have the regional chains still around but this makes it much easier to outlast them with loss leaders and the like. I'm not sure how one could regard this as a neutral development, let alone a positive one.

I'm not many people.  I'm not most people.  I am Kyle, and I am a typical American consumer in Wichita.

You said this wouldn't be good for the typical American consumer anywhere in the country.  Please explain how it will be bad for me.

I did. You disagree that it will be bad, obviously, so I hope it works out for you. I don't think it will and I stand by that.

kphoger

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 28, 2024, 10:55:34 AM

Please explain how it will be bad for me.

I did. You disagree that it will be bad, obviously, so I hope it works out for you. I don't think it will and I stand by that.

1.  I'm still trying to figure out where you explained how this will be bad for me and my wife here in Wichita.  Can you please point me to the post where you explained it?

2.  I neither agree nor disagree with you.  What I want is an explanation of how it will be bad for me.  If you can convince me, then I'll be convinced.  I honestly want to know.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 28, 2024, 10:55:34 AM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 26, 2024, 03:46:18 PM
... it's not going to be good for the typical American consumer, anywhere in the country.

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2024, 04:21:15 PM
I'm a typical American consumer, somewhere in the country.  How will this be bad for me?

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 26, 2024, 10:36:05 PM
Odds are for many, even most people that they've just reduced the number of grocery companies serving their local area to one (regardless of what the marquee out front says). You'll have the regional chains still around but this makes it much easier to outlast them with loss leaders and the like. I'm not sure how one could regard this as a neutral development, let alone a positive one.

How would it be bad for kphoger?  Check the map I posted yesterday; there's no Albertsons stores anywhere near him.  Thus, he'd see no stores being sold off or changing hands.  As for me, I'm a bit concerned as we have both Jewel (Albertsons) and Mariano's (Kroger) in the market  I highly doubt there'd be any price increases as there is plenty of other competition in the area.  My concern is about losing what's become a really decent store, Mariano's, after the demise of Dominick's at the hands of Safeway.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on February 28, 2024, 11:32:00 AM
How would it be bad for kphoger?  Check the map I posted yesterday; there's no Albertsons stores anywhere near him.  Thus, he'd see no stores being sold off or changing hands.  As for me, I'm a bit concerned as we have both Jewel (Albertsons) and Mariano's (Kroger) in the market  I highly doubt there'd be any price increases as there is plenty of other competition in the area.  My concern is about losing what's become a really decent store, Mariano's, after the demise of Dominick's at the hands of Safeway.

FWIW, I have no experience with Mariano's in the Chicago area, because I left the area before the demise of Dominick's.  When I did live there, I did all my shopping at Jewel.
Male pronouns, please.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2024, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: Brandon on February 28, 2024, 11:32:00 AM

FWIW, I have no experience with Mariano's in the Chicago area, because I left the area before the demise of Dominick's.  When I did live there, I did all my shopping at Jewel.

Mariano's was originally founded by one of the guys (Bob Mariano) who headed Dominick's just before it was sold to Safeway.  Mariano was working for Roundy's at the time and fashioned his store after what he though Dominick's should be, better produce selections, some high-end products, while also still being competitive with Jewel.  They became a part of Kroger when Roundy's was bought out by Kroger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.