on: Today at 10:21:21 AM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by tchafe1978
Your state is flatter than my state!

No your state is flatter!

I know you are but what am I?

It's third grade all over again...

on: Today at 10:13:59 AM 
Started by Alex - Last post by SEWIGuy
In New York, we don’t have counties on the plates, but oftentimes your local car dealer will install a plate frame that says Nissan of *city/town name* for example. When my family and I were going on a road trip from Long Island to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, I took off the plate frames so people wouldn’t know we were tourists.

I take those frames off even when I'm not going to be traveling.
I've always thought about taking the frames off, but have been too lazy to do so.  Never had a problem being perceived as a tourist.

I take the frames off immediately because I aint providing free advertising for the car dealer.  (My wife had me put them back on her car when I took them off though.)

on: Today at 10:13:08 AM 
Started by planxtymcgillicuddy - Last post by kphoger
Forms that require two family names to be mandatorily imputed in separate boxes. Although this isn't a problem for me as my full name has indeed two family names, it can be for anyone not from any Spanish or Portuguese-speaking countries. In that case, one of the family names (the first for Portuguese-based forms, the second for Spanish ones) should be the maiden's name of one's mother.

A similar frustration is programs that cannot accommodate two-word or hyphenated surnames.

For example, a program we use at work to run background checks cannot accommodate any spaces or hyphens in the surname field.  Not only is this bad for Hispanic immigrants who use both a maternal and a paternal surname, but also for a surname as simple as St James, and for the common Marshallese surname Chong Gum.  So then we have to choose what to do:  smoosh the words together with no space/hyphen, drop the second one, drop the first one...?  At any rate, then, it's bound to not exactly match the way the surname is spelled out in every other program—many of which don't have that issue.  Then, when one program needs to correspond to another program (such as background check and driving record), things get complicated.

Why did people set them up like this?  Did it never occur to them that some people have spaces and hyphens in their names?

on: Today at 10:04:06 AM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by kphoger
To be fair, the red ALTO light is on top and the green SIGA light is on the bottom...

Cool, thanks for pointing that out.

I see the same is true at a horizontal signal I'm familiar with as well.

Red ball is on the left, green ball is on the right.

on: Today at 10:01:54 AM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by DenverBrian
Haskins had a BAC of .24, three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash . . . color me shocked. Good thing he didn’t kill anyone else.

Kill anyone else? Did he kill someone? Yeah, he was likely driving before he got out of the car, but he got hit while walking.
He killed himself, pretty much? Walking across a south Florida Interstate (or any Interstate for that matter) is unlikely to end well . . .

He was driving drunk, by 3x the legal limit.

Had he not run out of gas he very well could have killed someone else.

While what he did was stupid, I don't think he was trying to kill himself; he was just wasted. By saying 'else', you infer that he killed someone which he did not. Call him what you want, but he's not a murderer/killer.
Not just "wasted." He also had ketamine in his system. He was a drugged-up mess. It's pretty lucky no one else was injured or killed as a result of him driving a car on the road that night. Tragic, in the classic sense of the word, that he ended up being the only fatality.

on: Today at 09:58:24 AM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by kphoger
Any hilly areas that Illinois has seem to be near a state border.

What are you calling "near" a state border?  As the crow flies, Ferne Clyffe State Park—which has a waterfall—is 21 miles from the nearest state line.

on: Today at 09:47:21 AM 
Started by Crash_It - Last post by MikeTheActuary
Gotta love the flatness of Illinois.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6037167,-88.3866633,3a,75y,60.32h,77.36t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNVJn4grjOYDlW30V58TGAWtB8HWE1ytU-cqQSX!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNVJn4grjOYDlW30V58TGAWtB8HWE1ytU-cqQSX%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya336.8595-ro-0-fo100!7i14000!8i7000

on: Today at 09:46:09 AM 
Started by webny99 - Last post by JayhawkCO
Haskins had a BAC of .24, three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash . . . color me shocked. Good thing he didn’t kill anyone else.

Kill anyone else? Did he kill someone? Yeah, he was likely driving before he got out of the car, but he got hit while walking.
He killed himself, pretty much? Walking across a south Florida Interstate (or any Interstate for that matter) is unlikely to end well . . .

He was driving drunk, by 3x the legal limit.

Had he not run out of gas he very well could have killed someone else.

While what he did was stupid, I don't think he was trying to kill himself; he was just wasted. By saying 'else', you infer that he killed someone which he did not. Call him what you want, but he's not a murderer/killer.
I suppose. I guess what I’m getting at is he has no one to blame but himself.

I don't disagree with this at all.

on: Today at 09:43:47 AM 
Started by un1 - Last post by cbeach40

A Polandball comic references Ontario Highways:

https://www.reddit.com/r/polandball/comments/umh5vk/just_one_more_lane/

Highway 401 was built like that back in the 70s, it was not widened one lane at a time. Internet urbanists are the worst.

I think this is supposed to be comical, not necessarily following the exact truths.

It's misinformation.

Tell us you don't know shit about how and when the 401 was built, what other projects have been built over the years, and are shoehorning in your political views in order to have a bad faith interpretation of a comic without telling us you don't know shit about how and when the 401 was built, what other projects have been built over the years, and are shoehorning in your political views in order to have a bad faith interpretation of a comic.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

on: Today at 09:43:13 AM 
Started by Alex - Last post by kphoger
Incredible, thank you! Where'd you dig that up from?

I made it in MSPaint for you.

As I expected, some of these are slightly silly. Texas County is TX, presumably to match the postal abbreviation of the state, yet Delaware County gets DL instead of DE and Washington gets WS instead of WA. Carter County is CR instead of CA, presumably to avoid besmirching the citizens of Ardmore with any association with the hated Californians. I also probably would have changed things around to give MC to McClain County since it has a bigger (and growing) population than McCurtain County, probably giving McCurtain MR and Marshall ML.

It doesn't look at all random or silly to me.  Actually, it looks rather well planned-out.  See below for my detailed analysis of each of the specific ones you pointed out.

I assume Delaware County is DL instead of DE, because DE are the first two letters of Dewey County as well.  Instead, they are DL and DW—first and third letters of each.

Likewise Carter County:  CA are the first two letters of Caddo County and Canadian County as well.  So for all three, they went with the first and third letters instead.

Likewise with Washington County:  WA are the first two letters of Wagoner County and Washita County as well.  Instead, they are WS, WG, and WT.  For Wagoner and Washington, they again went with the first and third letters.  For Washita, they used the letter that does not appear in any other W county.

And likewise all of the Mc counties, which all begin with the first two letters.  McCurtain and McIntosh get the first and third letters.  For McClain, they used the letter that does not appear in any other Mc county.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Kansas's county code system is so orderly that there is only one instance where the county code is not the first two letters of the county name, where doing so would not cause a conflict with another county.

I'm having difficulty parsing what you mean there.  Kansas has loads of county codes that aren't the first two letters—Sedgwick included.

I'd appreciate an example or counterexample to illustrate what you're trying to say.  Here are the county codes in alphabetical order, if that helps:

AL. Allen   AN. Anderson     AT. Atchison    BA. Barber    BT. Barton
 BB. Bourbon    BR. Brown    BU. Butler    CS. Chase    CQ. Chautauqua
 CK. Cherokee    CN. Cheyenne    CA. Clark    CY. Clay    CD. Cloud
 CF. Coffey    CM. Comanche    CL. Cowley    CR. Crawford    DC. Decatur
 DK. Dickinson    DP. Doniphan    DG. Douglas    ED. Edwards    EK. Elk
 EL. Ellis    EW. Ellsworth    FI. Finney    FO. Ford    FR. Franklin
 GE. Geary    GO. Gove    GH. Graham    GT. Grant    GY. Gray
 GL. Greeley    GW. Greenwood    HM. Hamilton    HP. Harper    HV. Harvey
 HS. Haskell    HG. Hodgeman    JA. Jackson    JF. Jefferson    JW. Jewell
 JO. Johnson    KE. Kearney    KM. Kingman    KW. Kiowa    LB. Labette
 LE. Lane    LV. Leavenworth    LC. Lincoln    LN. Linn    LG. Logan
 LY. Lyon    MN. Marion    MS. Marshall    MP. McPherson    ME. Meade
 MI. Miami    MC. Mitchell    MG. Montgomery    MR. Morris    MT. Morton
 NM. Nemaha    NO. Neosho    NS. Ness    NT. Norton    OS. Osage
 OB. Osborne    OT. Ottawa    PN. Pawnee    PL. Phillips    PT. Pottawatomie
 PR. Pratt    RA. Rawlins    RN. Reno    RP. Republic    RC. Rice
 RL. Riley    RO. Rooks    RH. Rush    RS. Russell    SA. Saline
 SC. Scott    SG. Sedgwick    SW. Seward    SN. Shawnee    SD. Sheridan
 SH. Sherman    SM. Smith    SF. Stafford    ST. Stanton    SV. Stevens
 SU. Sumner    TH. Thomas    TR. Trego    WB. Wabaunsee    WA. Wallace
 WS. Washington    WH. Wichita    WL. Wilson    WO. Woodson    WY. Wyandotte

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.