Non-Road Boards > Off-Topic

Black Friday could be your last chance for a SSD deal before price rises kick in

(1/4) > >>

ZLoth:
From TechRadar:

Black Friday could be your last chance for a great SSD deal before price rises kick in
Thinking of buying an SSD? Get one for Black Friday, or your wallet may regret it
--- Quote ---Earlier this year, SSD prices were falling, but of late, we’ve heard some buzz about this situation being reversed – and here’s another piece of chatter about the cost of solid-state drives potentially heading upwards.

Tom’s Hardware brought our attention to a DigiTimes report which claims (add seasoning, as ever) that Phison, a manufacturer of memory controllers for SSDs (and some drives too), is prepaying chip suppliers to ensure that it has enough NAND chips in stock for its needs going forward.
--- End quote ---
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Max Rockatansky:
There isn’t a compelling enough reason yet found by humanity to get me to shop in a Big Box retail store on Black Friday.

ZLoth:
Just as a reality check, I thought I would check the prices from one year ago to now...

* Solidigm P41 Plus Series 1TB - ~$90 one year ago, Ordered on Nov 8 2023 for $49.99
* Solidigm P41 Plus Series 2TB - $168.77 on Nov 14 2022, Ordered on Nov 9 2022 for $129.99, Current Price $106.99
* Samsung 990 PRO 1TB (No Headsink) - ~189-$199 one year ago, Currently $79.99, was as low as $59.99
* Samsung 990 PRO 2TB (No Headsink) - ~289-$313 one year ago, Ordered on Nov 3 2023 for $129.99 which is near it's all time lowWhen I build my main computer one year ago, I purchased the Soidigm P41 2TB because, at $130, it was still a decent performer with a sequential read speed of 3929 MB/second and sequential write speed of 3279 MB/second. I figured I would wait until the prices dropped in a year's time, and they sure did. I purchased two Samsung 990 PROs with a much faster with a sequential read speed of 7083 MB/second and a sequential write speed of 6806 MB/second and put them in my main box. I then moved the 2TB P41 to my secondary box for ripping and displaying weather forecasts and replacing a recycled PNY 960GB SSD which I had purchased in 2016 with a read speed of 550 MB/second and a write speed of 535 MB/second.

Ironically, I also located an order for a Samsung SM951 128GB NVMe drive purchased in mid-June, 2016 as a boot drive for my TrueNAS box for $100. That PCI-Express 3.0 drive had a Max sequential read of "Up to 2000 MBps" and a Max Sequential write of "Up to 600 MBps", The motherboard is a SuperMicro X11SAE-M which only supports PCIe 3.0 x4 anyways, plus in actual use, it isn't used much beyond boot-up.

Still, it's is surprising how much solid state drives have dropped in the past few years. We'll see what happens next year.

ZLoth:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 11, 2023, 08:48:40 PM ---There isn’t a compelling enough reason yet found by humanity to get me to shop in a Big Box retail store on Black Friday.
--- End quote ---

Then... don't.

From my experience, Amazon often matches the brick-and-morter stores when it comes to Black Friday pricing. For the 990 Pro 2TB drive, the price was $130 at Amazon, $135 at Best Buy and Newegg, and $150 at Walmart.

Rothman:
Just bought a 1TB thumb drive.  Works for me...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version