News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Users Want Android Auto and CarPlay as Standard, Not Willing to Pay Extra

Started by ZLoth, September 22, 2023, 09:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From AutoEvolution:

Most Users Want Android Auto and CarPlay as Standard, Not Willing to Pay Extra
QuoteAndroid Auto and CarPlay have become must-have equipment in most cars, and more data backs this claim. Apple's figures claim nearly eight in ten new-car buyers in the United States wouldn't even consider a vehicle without CarPlay.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Hmmm... when I was purchasing a year-old vehicle in 2006, one of the must-have things was a CD player. Flash forward to 2014, and after my vehicle was totaled after being rear-ended, one of the must-have things was Bluetooth integration... the CD player is practically unused, and I was a model year or two away from Android Auto being rolled out. Now, in addition to Bluetooth, Android Auto integration is a must have for the audio media playback and the maps on the main screen instead of being in a holder. Alas, purchasing a new car is at least six years away.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Eight in ten new-car buyers?  Geez, I don't even know what CarPlay is.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on September 22, 2023, 09:54:00 AMGeez, I don't even know what CarPlay is.

At a high level overview, Android Auto and Apple Carplay allows you to utilize your car display as a second screen for your mobile phone. There are restrictions in how you design and use your apps in the Android Auto/Carplay configuration, including the size of the buttons and how the UI is designed with a high emphasis on minimal driver distraction. This means that video apps are disallowed while in a drive mode, while messenger apps are extremely restricted. This is possible because of the screens that are being used as part of backup camera systems.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Ah, OK, gotcha.  Yeah, for me, cell phones in the car are for (1) phone calls and (2) for me to ask my wife to look something up on Google Maps from the passenger seat.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

What's interesting is that you have a survey like that one, yet then you have the popularity of Tesla, which supports neither.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I don't want Android CarPlay.

I'm an Apple user.

And I don't even want Apple's version of CarPlay. I prefer a dedicated music player with an AUX or Bluetooth connection.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on September 22, 2023, 11:41:20 AM
I don't want Android CarPlay.

I'm an Apple user.

And I don't even want Apple's version of CarPlay. I prefer a dedicated music player with an AUX or Bluetooth connection.

I have neither because my car pre-dates either service. I can see the potential usefulness in being able to mirror the mapping software on the phone if that software integrates with the phone's contact list, thus making it potentially easier to get a route to a particular person's address without having to retype all the information into the car's sat-nav. But I don't like the idea of a screen in the dashboard that can play video or display text messages and I have no use for either of those features.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wriddle082

Apple CarPlay is awesome!  My wife uses it all the time in her 2022 Traverse, and keeps it on Google Maps most of the time.  Whenever I have to rent a car for work, I usually end up with something that has Apple CarPlay.  The last rental car I had was a Ford Edge, and not only did it have wireless Apple CarPlay, but it had a larger screen than most of the cars I had rented before, so the display for Waze was much much bigger than the standard display screens or my phone display.

I think I heard last year that GM was going to phase out Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto in favor of some proprietary interface.  They are playing suicide if they follow through with those plans!

Takumi

I barely use the tech functions in my decade-old car now. I don't want CarPlay/AA. I wish cars still offered CD players.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

ZLoth

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 22, 2023, 11:59:32 AMI think I heard last year that GM was going to phase out Apple CarPlay and AndroidAuto in favor of some proprietary interface.  They are playing suicide if they follow through with those plans!

GM is pushing ahead with Android Automotive (hello confusing names) which is a in-vehicle implementation of Android OS in their electric vehicles. While Android Automotive can support Android Auto and Apple Car play, GM wants to exclusively use Android Automotive and figure out new ways to monetize the user. Good luck with that!

Quote from: Takumi on September 22, 2023, 12:36:39 PMI wish cars still offered CD players.

While I am a fan of physical media, the main reason for the removal of CD and tape players in vehicles has everything to do with weight and dashboard space. The CD/tape player was essential five pounds of parts and rubber that has to survive harsh environmental extremes. This includes the shake-and-bake weather of the Arizona/California/Texas summer, or the icy chill of the Minnesota winters. Replace that was two ounces of Bluetooth circuitry that is far more reliable and weather resistant.

MikeTheActuary

I can't speak to CarPlay since I'm an Android user, but I appreciate having Android Auto in rental cars.

With AA, I can pop up a Google Maps display on screen, have the audio integrated with the car's audio via Bluetooth, avoiding the need to keep the phone accessible.   I also appreciate the AA interface with the music/podcast/audiobook apps I use on the phone, but since I don't really want to be looking at the display or manipulating audio controls while driving...that's not really necessary.

AA's integrated ability to read notifications from certain apps is something that sounds nice, until you realize the number of nuisance notifications you might be getting from the phone.

My car predates AA being a common feature, so my phone lives in a vent holder, which is OK...but I'd be happier if I could just feed the display to the SatNav/infotainment screen that I never use anymore.

When shopping for a car, I wouldn't exclude a particular brand/model just because it doesn't have AA...but interoperability with my phone would definitely be a quality-of-life consideration when making a selection.

Bruce

Last rental car I tried had a weird bug that caused the key fob to not work if CarPlay was still on. So no locking while another person was connected inside.

Android Auto worked great in it, so I guess it must be some Apple proprietary fuckery that was causing it. The display was a bit small and it was annoying having to toggle Bluetooth on and off while leaving the car, though.

HighwayStar

I added AA as an aftermarket install for the road trip car. The commuter car does not have it.

For long trips, especially when spending significant time in large cities, its quite nice. Real time navigation with traffic, all with voice commands. Leverages the phone for music, although I also have a thumb drive installed so I don't always have to plug in the phone. On long cruises I often put it on just for alerts and to find the nearest gas station or food when I want without having to actually use a phone.

The biggest cons are the unreliability of certain phones with it and the somewhat limited interface. I have two phones, one works the other does not, and its picky about which cable. I've heard enough horror stories about both AA and Apple to not blame this on my aftermarket setup though. Certain functions which should be there, like the ability to report speed traps or hazards are not, probabally due to lawyers.

I would not want to subscribe to it, but I'm also far from the target demographic buying new cars.

CDs do not belong in cars, their demise with respect to car audio is a major plus.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Max Rockatansky

I have CarPlay in my Impreza.  While nice to have it isn't something I would go out my way to get or pay extra for.  I still have ways to listen to music via other media formats, all I really care about is charging my phone.

hbelkins

Is anyone concerned about rental vehicles retaining information from your phone when you connect it via Bluetooth or CarPlay?

The Jeep I drive for work sometimes has some sort of phone-vehicle integration, but I don't use it. When I take my music or podcast player along when I'm driving it, I use an AUX cable.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on September 23, 2023, 11:14:19 PM
Is anyone concerned about rental vehicles retaining information from your phone when you connect it via Bluetooth or CarPlay?

The Jeep I drive for work sometimes has some sort of phone-vehicle integration, but I don't use it. When I take my music or podcast player along when I'm driving it, I use an AUX cable.
Not me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ran4sh

Yes. I would only connect if I can find out the procedure to permanently delete my information, in the manual or elsewhere.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

wriddle082

Quote from: ran4sh on September 24, 2023, 12:02:11 AM

Yes. I would only connect if I can find out the procedure to permanently delete my information, in the manual or elsewhere.

Every time I turn a rental car in, right before I get out, I delete the profile for my phone.  And whenever I take a new rental car, usually not long after I've gotten used to it, I'll look to see how many phone profiles are saved in it, and delete all but my own.  And in your phone, go to Settings, General, and CarPlay, and it will show all of the cars you have connected to, with the option to delete after you go to each one.

vdeane

Quote from: wriddle082 on September 24, 2023, 02:08:48 AM

Every time I turn a rental car in, right before I get out, I delete the profile for my phone.  And whenever I take a new rental car, usually not long after I've gotten used to it, I'll look to see how many phone profiles are saved in it, and delete all but my own.  And in your phone, go to Settings, General, and CarPlay, and it will show all of the cars you have connected to, with the option to delete after you go to each one.

I don't think I'd trust that deleting the profile on the phone would result in deleting the information off the car.  How would the car even know that you deleted it on the phone?  Deleting off the car theoretically should, but given the (terrible) track record from the automakers with respect to privacy/security, I'll believe it when someone verifies it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on September 24, 2023, 08:15:19 AM
Quote from: wriddle082 on September 24, 2023, 02:08:48 AM

I don't think I'd trust that deleting the profile on the phone would result in deleting the information off the car.  How would the car even know that you deleted it on the phone?  Deleting off the car theoretically should, but given the (terrible) track record from the automakers with respect to privacy/security, I'll believe it when someone verifies it.

You are precisely the person I thought of when I made my post about this subject.

Scott5114

Wipe and reload the car before turning it in–it's the only way to be sure.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2023, 03:41:46 PM

You could always nuke it from orbit.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JREwing78

I'm apparently one of those tech enthusiast types who appreciates having the Android Auto interface, enough so that I replaced the headunit in my last car with one that did it, and specifically sought it out in my current vehicle.

It's my music and podcast interface, my mapping interface, my warning about upcoming road hazards and traffic, and how I interface with my phone. The way laws have gotten (rightfully so) about using phones in vehicles, even a brief moment to pick up my phone and click to skip to the next track would land me with a big fat ticket. If I want to remain legal and not have to pull over EVERY SINGLE TIME I need to quickly interact with my phone, it's necessary.

Yes, I can go back to a so-called simpler time and not have Android Auto. But there's enough utility there to make it worth the cost to have it.

Also, if I can go down to the Best Buy and put a touchscreen in my car for $200 that does Android Auto, you're damn right automakers should just have it for free or very cheap. Consumers know a money grab when they see one, and this subscription nonsense on a vehicle you've spent $40,000+ for rightfully doesn't fly.

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 25, 2023, 04:14:53 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 25, 2023, 03:41:46 PM

You could always nuke it from orbit.

That tends to violate the rental contract.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.