News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What was your "I'm officially old" moment?

Started by ZLoth, December 01, 2023, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Cheezburger:

'I had a young coworker not know how to write a check': 30+ Workers who realized they were "officially old" thanks to their young coworkers
QuoteIn school, our teachers assured us that we'd need to know how to write checks in day-to-day life, write in cursive, and that we wouldn't always have a calculator in our pocket, so we had better study up on math. In reality, paper checks are something we use maybe once every three years, or they're the thing your grandmother might give you as a birthday present. Turns out most people can't read cursive, and we all text these days... and the calculator in your pocket thing? Our teachers were so wrong about that one.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

hotdogPi

That there are famous people younger than I am who aren't well known for being young (so e.g. Greta Thunberg didn't count).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

formulanone

This occurs in stages:

1) hearing a song from the week you were born on an oldies radio station

2) hearing songs from your senior year in high school on a classic rock station

3) something which happened twenty years ago is now in your kids' history textbooks

4) I forget how to use my "new" TV set and ask the kids to help (I've had it four years)

5) spending more time grousing about "the good old days" instead of the present (not yet, for me)

Big John

That I have no idea on how to use modern technology.

Max Rockatansky

1980s nostalgia replaced 1950s nostalgia.

webny99

Being born in the 1900's (with almost five whole months to spare!)

Quote from: 1 on December 01, 2023, 07:14:04 PM
That there are famous people younger than I am who aren't well known for being young (so e.g. Greta Thunberg didn't count).

On that note, since we're similar in age, being older than some major league sports players.

74/171FAN

I left the youth group at church, went to college, came back home to church and saw the youth group.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tmoore952

Seeing songs that you heard on the radio as a kid, go through the oldies phase or classic rock stage, and then age out of THAT. due to radio demographics. Although that particular thing isn't a lost cause for me yet, as I actually enjoyed much 90s music as it happened and am now glad to see that get its nostalgia moment.

Being older than every single professional player, and older than some coaches who you watched play when you were a kid. Same with players-turned-broadcasters.

I will always be 5 to 15 years younger than my siblings. And another one is being teased by them about things you did as a kid, when said things were more than half a century ago. But on the other hand, if they remember it and I either don't remember or barely remember, I'm not that old.

Co-workers (college graduates) born in the 2000s and do not remember 9/11 -- these groups are not one and the same (2000s group is a little smaller).

Takumi

Coworkers whose parents are younger than me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

The point I realized the players who were drafted at the time I started watching sports were now all retired.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Hm.  Having kids has helped me stay hip.

I feel older with every additional pill the doctor makes me take.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

Reading posts from people 20-30 years younger than me thinking they qualify for this thread... :spin:

gonealookin

When I was face-down on the table and they were putting me under anesthesia for the hemorrhoidectomy.

Dirt Roads

You mean like back in 1990, when the phrase "I don't do Windows" no longer had anything to do with "paper towels and Windex"?

Henry

The day vinyl records and phonographs returned to stores.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ZLoth

When movies I saw first-run in the theater show up on Turner Classic Movies.

When the person who I interviewed for my team (a recent college graduate) was probably in early elementary school when I first started with the company.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

LilianaUwU

I realized I'm officially old when people started calling the Wii a retro console.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Bruce

When I have to switch to a higher-numbered bubble in the "How old are you?" question in forms.

JayhawkCO

I think the first time I had to say, " I haven't xxxxx in twenty years."

Ted$8roadFan

When I realized I am now older than almost all of the co-workers in my division.

dlsterner

Probably in 2008 (the year I turned 50) ...

(a) Started being bombarded with postal mail from AARP.
(b) Realizing that the US President-Elect (Barack Obama) was younger than I was.

More recently ...

(a) Started being bombarded with postal mail about Medicare.
(b) Realizing that my high school class is starting to make some noise about an upcoming 50 year reunion.

texaskdog

When I worked at a gas station and we hired kids who were born after I graduated high school

I turn 55 in May and it really doesn't help to see a senior menu 55+ at Dennys.

Big John

Related:  Given a senior discount at Culvers without asking for it.

tmoore952

To respond to some recent posts (after my own post last night):

I am turning 57 early in the new year. I think it's about time there was a President younger than I was. The only one that is less than 20 years older than me has been Obama! And it isn't happening in 2025 unless something very unexpected occurs in the next year.

We have an IHOP in my town. I have not visited since before my 55th birthday. I'm just guessing, but I suspect that the discounted meals they give for 55+ might also be smaller meals. Wonder if it's the same for Denny's. Seeing menus like that doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is seeing 55 (and better) living communities. I don't think I would want to be the youngest in a place like that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.