News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The Gateway Project

Started by Hellfighter, February 02, 2009, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfighter

Hey guys,if you're comming into detroit, don't take Interstate 75 past Fort Street (M-85) or you might encounter this.

Interstate 75 closed between Clark Street and Interstate 96 in the city of Detroit. Started last February, it involves rebuilding the interchange at the ambassador bridge for a direct freeway connection and the reconstruction of 2.5 miles of I-75 between W. Grand Bvrd. and I-96. MDOT says they have 70% of the project complete and that it could reopen in the summer. Also, they have started building a twin span of the ambassador bridge. As of this Sunday, the connecting span on the US side has been built.

SSOWorld

Ah, thanks for the tip (I'll avoid that anyway :-P )
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

Those pictures were taken in June, I forgot to mention that.

heroicman

wow i grew up there i also heard that there doing a study on I-94  and reconstruction the plaza and a new welcome center up near port huron

Revive 755

I'm surprised there's been so little news regarding the Ambassador twin span, considering that it would have the longest main span of any cable-stayed bridge in North America - barring some change I haven't come across.

Alex

Does that mean its impossible to clinch Interstate 75 through Detroit atm?

Stephane Dumas

ComputerGuy

That clip is fantastic! The bridges would look great...especially the old one.

njroadhorse

Is the Gateway Project on 75 like one of those I-40 in Knoxville deals?
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Terry Shea

Quote from: njroadhorse on April 01, 2009, 07:12:47 PM
Is the Gateway Project on 75 like one of those I-40 in Knoxville deals?
Not sure what you mean.  Please explain.

Alex

I think he means, is there a section of freeway completely closed to traffic due to construction?

Hellfighter

Yea. I-75 is closed for 2 miles because they had to lower the roadbed to accommodate the new interchange.

Hellfighter

-1 me for double posting, but it's offical. I-75 will be reopened to traffic, but the ramps won't open until fall.

Hellfighter

Okay, -25 me  :banghead: for triple posting, but the freeway has reopened. I don't know what's up with my windshield, but the photos didn't turn out pretty.

vdeane

I don't think there's any issue with this triple posting; since the first and second are a couple months apart, and the second and third a couple weeks, how else are we supposed to know if you've added anything (edits don't show up as new)?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DanTheMan414

I-75 is officially open through the Gateway Project area, and all ramps to/from I-96 are also open, as well!  As noted above, the ramps to/from the bridge won't be open until the fall.  The southbound lanes re-opened around 1:00 PM this afternoon, and the northbound lanes around 5:30.

Not only am I reporting that it's open, but I've also already been through the newly-reconstructed interchange...twice!  I drove I-75 North to I-96 West about an hour after it opened, and from I-96 East to I-75 South later in the evening.  It is interesting to note that now, there is only one lane for the beginning of I-96 West from I-75 North, with the 2nd lane added with the merge of the on-ramp for traffic coming from the Ambassador Bridge.

Stephane Dumas

Alex

Why is Interstate 96 signed as continuing southward on Interstate 75? Is this because the freeway defaults onto a local roadway of Interstate 75, and is that now considered part of the Interstate 96 through to the roadway merge? Also it appears that the ramp to Porter Street is signed as Exit 192x, after Exit 47C departed for Vernor Highway.

Alex

Also is there a map showing the completed ramp configuration online somewhere? Looking at Ryan's photos, I see that the Bridge to Canada exit has greenouts for Exit 47A and its right-hand arrow. Was this Exit 47B, and will it be that way again, or is it a permanent reconfiguration to send drivers bound for the Ambassador Bridge onto the same ramp to Vernor Highway?

DanTheMan414

The exit tabs up on I-96 East for the Bridge to Canada and Vernor Hwy. exits are both cover-ups that say "Exit 47C".  In fact, Vernor Hwy. is going to be Exit 192A, and the Bridge to Canada will be Exit 192B.

In related news, the new I-75 North exit ramp to Vernor Hwy. will open up this Friday, 10/23, with a special ribbon-cutting cermony.  (Story courtesy of the Detroit Free Press.)  The I-75 South ramp to Vernor Hwy. will open around Thanksgiving.  The new ramps to and from I-75 and I-96 to the Ambassador Bridge Toll Plaza remain closed indefinitely, because of the legal rangling between M.D.O.T. and the controversial owner of the privately-owned Ambassador Bridge.

Hellfighter

The battle between MDOT and Marty Moron just got more intense...

Alex

Quote from: Hellfighter on November 24, 2009, 04:55:56 PM

Um, looks like some of them need to be finished first...

Hellfighter

Quote from: AARoads on November 24, 2009, 05:49:16 PM
Quote from: Hellfighter on November 24, 2009, 04:55:56 PM

Um, looks like some of them need to be finished first...

I believe those are the truck ramps, built by the Bridge Company

vdeane

Seriously, why can't the Ambassador Bridge just do what they promised?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hellfighter

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.