News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty2022

The Detroit Pistons won a game for the first time in 2 months. This broke their 28 game losing streak and advanced the team to 3-29.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Rothman

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 30, 2023, 09:00:10 PM
The Detroit Pistons won a game for the first time in 2 months. This broke their 28 game losing streak and advanced the team to 3-29.
My daughter was at the Celtics game where they blew the 20-whatever point lead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

so they do not own the outright "most losses in a row" record - but they share it.

mgk920

Quote from: Alps on December 30, 2023, 11:19:27 PM
so they do not own the outright "most losses in a row" record - but they share it.

I remember several years ago when a national radio sports talker was thinking out loud that perhaps it is time for basketball to go to a promotion and relegation system, this after the Hornets had their 7-(whatever) season and he loathed the thought of them having the most chances in the draft lottery.

Mike

Rothman

Most consecutive losses in a season, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jgb191

https://www.nba.com/news/draymond-green-back-practice-warriors-after-suspension

Anybody want to take a guess to see if Draymond gets suspended once more this season?  I'm going to guess yes, I believe he'll be suspended again before the end of the season.  And I'm sure other teams will be tempted to put his temper to the test; they'll bait him to see if he'll bite.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Henry

Quote from: mgk920 on December 31, 2023, 02:20:26 PM

I remember several years ago when a national radio sports talker was thinking out loud that perhaps it is time for basketball to go to a promotion and relegation system, this after the Hornets had their 7-(whatever) season and he loathed the thought of them having the most chances in the draft lottery.

Mike
It was 7-59 from back in 2012, which yielded an even worse winning percentage than what the infamous 9-73 Philadelphia 76ers put up 51 seasons ago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

tmoore952

Quote from: Henry on January 09, 2024, 11:15:17 PM
,,,,,  than what the infamous 9-73 Philadelphia 76ers put up 51 seasons ago.

Which not many under the age of 60 remembers (at least meaningfully). Myself included.

I started following the 76ers in 1976-77 which is the year they lost to the Trail Blazers in the Finals (after having a 2-0 game lead in the Finals, ugh).
I was amazed when I found out around that time about the 9-73 season they had gone through in 1972-73  I am not sure how I found out about that season --- it was either via an almanac or some record book (maybe the Guinness one?). It was something which listed the then-all time worst winning percentage.

I don't think my family was much into basketball then since I have absolutely no memory of this. I do remember family members going to Phillies games around that time, and NFL football was always on during the season, and I also very vaguely remember Flyers Stanley Cup celebrations about a year later.

Henry

The talk of Chicago has been the Bulls' Ring of Honor fiasco, where they showed Jerry Krause on the Jumbotron and the crowd booed. They probably haven't forgotten about the way he broke up the team after its sixth championship, but I feel it was disrespectful to his widow, and the absences of Jordan and Pippen didn't help matters either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Henry on January 20, 2024, 12:02:57 AM
The talk of Chicago has been the Bulls' Ring of Honor fiasco, where they showed Jerry Krause on the Jumbotron and the crowd booed. They probably haven't forgotten about the way he broke up the team after its sixth championship, but I feel it was disrespectful to his widow, and the absences of Jordan and Pippen didn't help matters either.

It was bad. There are multiple reasons why the Bulls Dynasty ended and why they've been mostly uncompetitive for the past 26 years. Jerry Krause wasn't the only reason. He isn't even the only Jerry.

Henry

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 22, 2024, 07:37:21 PM

It was bad. There are multiple reasons why the Bulls Dynasty ended and why they've been mostly uncompetitive for the past 26 years. Jerry Krause wasn't the only reason. He isn't even the only Jerry.
This ranks among my most shameful moments as a Chicago sports fan, right up there with the Steve Bartman debacle in the 2003 NLCS and the Bears' Double Doink playoff game.

Big John

Bucks just fired HC Griffin.

Hunty2022

OKC Thunder are now 1st in the western conference.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Big John on January 23, 2024, 02:53:47 PM

Wasn't his fault no one but Giannis can play defense on that team.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 24, 2024, 10:39:24 AM
Quote from: Big John on January 23, 2024, 02:53:47 PM

Wasn't his fault no one but Giannis can play defense on that team.

Shocking when Dame is your main acquisition.

Big John

74/171FAN

I doubt that Doc Rivers is really going to help the Bucks get further than their former coach.  https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39378013/doc-rivers-finalizing-deal-bucks-coach-sources-say
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

A defense of the firing of Bucks HC Griffin:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/23/24048664/milwaukee-bucks-fire-adrian-griffin-doc-rivers-rumors

Perhaps it was necessary for a win-now team, but it's not a good look for the Bucks, especially if Doc Rivers turns out not to be the savior.

jgb191

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 22, 2024, 07:37:21 PM

Michael and Phil both walked away from the team even though they stated that they were offered contracts to stay one more year....so both of them also contributed to the breakdown of the team.  Even though I wasn't convinced that they were going to win the 1999 Championship; both could have returned to Bulls if they wanted to, which they didn't.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

bing101

Ted$8roadFan

NBA All-Star game/week is next week in Indianapolis. Wonder if it will actually be watchable this year.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on February 15, 2024, 06:55:05 AM
NBA All-Star game/week is next week in Indianapolis. Wonder if it will actually be watchable this year.

Some of the skills competitions? Sure. The game? Zero chance.

WillWeaverRVA

I'll definitely be tuning into the Rising Stars game tonight. Vince Williams Jr. - a VCU alum - has been balling out for the Grizzlies this season and got his two-way contract converted to a full guaranteed contract this year. He had a double-double last night against Giannis and the Bucks.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Life in Paradise

Actually the NBA All-Star game is this weekend in Indianapolis with festivities Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Since outside perhaps the up and comers game there will be no real basketball played until Thursday of next week,  I'm enjoying the time off of watching my favorite sport.  Streaming catch up, here I come!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.