News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State-named interstate shields

Started by Mergingtraffic, May 06, 2014, 09:02:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 18, 2015, 08:32:39 PM
They always have.

But in lesser numbers than before. I could still point out quite a few shields w/o "Washington" plastered on it.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
They always have.

But in lesser numbers than before. I could still point out quite a few shields w/o "Washington" plastered on it.

Maintained by SDOT and not WSDOT?  Interchanges are WSDOT-maintained.
Take the road less traveled.

TheHighwayMan3561

In Minnesota there are still three or four mainline state-named I-494 shields near its northern terminus in Maple Grove. Even as MNDot has replaced many of the BGSs in this stretch the state-named shields have remained as of now.

Otherwise, I think all other state-named mainline shields in Minnesota are gone. As for others, I think there might be a couple trailblazers for I-94 and I-35E on city streets in downtown St. Paul still as well as a TO I-35 trailblazer I saw near Duluth.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 18, 2015, 09:21:21 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 18, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
They always have.

Maintained by SDOT and not WSDOT?  Interchanges are WSDOT-maintained.

SDOT posts the occasional state-name shield (never by itself, always on an LGS) but WSDOT? Never. Not in a long time. The sign that Teg posted is SDOT-installed (since it's a city street).

formulanone

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 18, 2015, 09:41:05 PM
In Minnesota there are still three or four mainline state-named I-494 shields near its northern terminus in Maple Grove. Even as MNDot has replaced many of the BGSs in this stretch the state-named shields have remained as of now.

Otherwise, I think all other state-named mainline shields in Minnesota are gone. As for others, I think there might be a couple trailblazers for I-94 and I-35E on city streets in downtown St. Paul still as well as a TO I-35 trailblazer I saw near Duluth.

This mainline one is about two and-a-half years old, just west of of I-494.

I forget exactly where this one was; somewhere on MN 55 southbound, near I-494:

1995hoo

Spotted a Virginia-named I-66 shield in said route's median earlier today when we were headed west; it's located just east of Exit 27 for Marshall. I'd post a Street View link if I knew of a way to do so on my iPad, but I don't. Oddly, the next set of shields a tiny distance to the west of there, immediately after the exit sign, uses a neutered shield.

Off the top of my head I can think of two other state-named I-66 shields on the highway itself in Virginia–one eastbound just before the Virginia Lane overpass just inside the Beltway, the other westbound just west of the Barbour Road overpass (less than a mile east of Virginia Lane). There might be others, but since I took a different route home today I didnt get to look for eastbound shields outside the Beltway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadfro

Quote from: andy3175 on January 18, 2015, 08:48:29 PM
I am aware of at 2 least instances where a state named shield is named for another state besides the one in which the shield is posted. One set is located at the parking garage to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where the signs pointing to Interstate 15 show "California" rather than Nevada.

It's worth noting that this example is not an actual standard Interstate shield assembly, but rather MGM property wayfinding signage in/around the parking garage.

Another is here, on Arizona 95 traveling south just north of Needles, CA just before crossing the Colorado River:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.852981,-114.608203,3a,75y,223.66h,91.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9VYzQcLF7WhdzWTCHOuohw!2e0.

While the location of the sign is in Arizona, it is a trailblazer for I-40 in which the closest access is actually in California. So totally correct to put California on the sign. Surprising amount of forethought on that one, considering it's not far from I-40 in Arizona.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Have captured all of these on trips to document I-66 in 2013 for a future page update on the main site.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2015, 09:12:57 PM
Spotted a Virginia-named I-66 shield in said route's median earlier today when we were headed west; it's located just east of Exit 27 for Marshall. I'd post a Street View link if I knew of a way to do so on my iPad, but I don't. Oddly, the next set of shields a tiny distance to the west of there, immediately after the exit sign, uses a neutered shield.

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2015, 09:12:57 PM

Off the top of my head I can think of two other state-named I-66 shields on the highway itself in Virginia–one eastbound just before the Virginia Lane overpass just inside the Beltway, the other westbound just west of the Barbour Road overpass (less than a mile east of Virginia Lane). There might be others, but since I took a different route home today I didnt get to look for eastbound shields outside the Beltway.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alex on October 16, 2014, 11:13:12 AM

Happy to report that the lone state-named I-95 southbound mainline shield in North Carolina was still posted as of Sunday.

I drove through here earlier today and the last state-named 95 shields on 95 itself - one in each direction between US 64 and NC 43 are now replaced with neutered shields.

Mapmikey

Mergingtraffic

What states generally post newer state-named shields? CT & NJ come to mind.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

The Nature Boy

I THINK I've seen South Carolina posting newer ones.

bing101

I-80 at US 101 interchange in San Francisco the 80 shield is neutered.

NE2

Quote from: doofy103 on February 14, 2015, 08:17:57 PM
Florida randomly does.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NJRoadfan

This wasn't always the case in NJ. They eliminated the state name back in the 90s, only in the past 10 years has it reappeared on new signs.

rickmastfan67

WV

cjk374

Add Louisiana and Mississippi to the list.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

thenetwork

Colorado usually adds the state name to the interstate shields, including those shields on most BGSs.

jakeroot

An old state-named Interstate 5 shield from 1985, Pierce County, Washington. I'm pretty sure I already posted this image in another thread, but the image was not nearly as good.

I'm almost 100% sure this is the last state-named shield in Pierce County, BGS or otherwise.

freebrickproductions

Alabama uses mainly state-named shields. There are a few neutered ones around though.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Kentucky is increasingly using state-named markers.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mergingtraffic

I cherish non-reflective button copy and state-named interstate shields.  Well, here's some shields.

Mergingtraffic

NY people: Weren't there some state-named I-90 shields around Albany?

bzakharin

I am aware of at 2 least instances where a state named shield is named for another state besides the one in which the shield is posted. One set is located at the parking garage to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where the signs pointing to Interstate 15 show "California" rather than Nevada. Another is here, on Arizona 95 traveling south just north of Needles, CA just before crossing the Colorado River:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.852981,-114.608203,3a,75y,223.66h,91.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9VYzQcLF7WhdzWTCHOuohw!2e0.

Are there other instances in which the state named shield posted shows a different state name than the state in which the shield is posted?
I could have sworn there was an NJ state named I-676 shield somewhere in Philly close to the Ben Franklin Bridge, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.

cl94

Quote from: doofy103 on February 22, 2015, 11:15:34 PM
NY people: Weren't there some state-named I-90 shields around Albany?

There were. A lot of what existed has been replaced with the I-90 and Washington Avenue Extension reconstruction projects.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: roadfro on January 20, 2015, 01:27:14 AM
I am aware of at 2 least instances where a state named shield is named for another state besides the one in which the shield is posted. One set is located at the parking garage to the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, where the signs pointing to Interstate 15 show "California" rather than Nevada.

It's worth noting that this example is not an actual standard Interstate shield assembly, but rather MGM property wayfinding signage in/around the parking garage.

Another is here, on Arizona 95 traveling south just north of Needles, CA just before crossing the Colorado River:

While the location of the sign is in Arizona, it is a trailblazer for I-40 in which the closest access is actually in California. So totally correct to put California on the sign. Surprising amount of forethought on that one, considering it's not far from I-40 in Arizona.

On this subject, I have always got a kick out of this one:  This is in Santa Theresa, NM right next to the Texas/New Mexico State Line.  The trailblazer shield is in New Mexico, and New Mexico is a state shield state, but the intersection they are leading you to by this sign is in Texas, and a few miles south of the state line.  So they are not directing you to New Mexico Interstate 10 at all.  There are a few more like this in Sunland Park, NM just a few miles south of this sign!!

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.876836,-106.643843,3a,85.4y,91.41h,87.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1so6O0qWLt1g5cVScBlukRkA!2e0

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.