News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 20 Alabama

Started by Alex, March 19, 2010, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

I-20 speed limit between Oxford, Georgia to be lowered following death

QuoteHEFLIN, Ala. -- Alabama Transportation officials are lowering the speed limit on Interstate 20 from Oxford to the Georgia state line following the death of a South Carolina woman killed when she was hit by a rock kicked up from a pothole.

The speed limit will drop from 70 mph to 55 mph from mile marker 182 to the state line. Extra troopers will patrol the stretch. Jo Maureen Fisher of Goose Creek, S.C., died in a Birmingham hospital Tuesday, hours after a vehicle hit a pothole and threw a rock that passed through the windshield of the car Fisher was in and struck her in the head.

agentsteel53

since when is the TSA in charge of roads like this?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

Yeah, because that's the answer to damaged roads... lowering the speed limit. NOT repairing the road.

rawmustard

A lot of people should challenge this. A freak death cannot by itself justify a change in the speed limit. If it were me, the first thing I'd ask for is the speed study which prompted the change.

Hellfighter

Yeah, stuff like that isn't uncommon here in Michigan. Note to Alabama, fix your roads!

Bryant5493

Really?! That's dumb. That's a long stretch with a low speed limit like that, and it's very rural there.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

codyg1985

Quote from: Bryant5493 on March 19, 2010, 01:59:09 PM
Really?! That's dumb. That's a long stretch with a low speed limit like that, and it's very rural there.

So rural in fact that it goes through the Talladega National Forest.

So I guess the answer is set up a speed trap until it raises enough money to fix the road, and then keep the speed trap there while not fixing the road. Brilliant! </sarcasm>
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

froggie

Given how undermanned the Alabama Highway Patrol is, I find the speed trap thought a bit funny...

froggie

The e-mail I just sent ALDOT:

QuoteALDOT,

What is your justification for lowering the speed limit east of Oxford from 70 to 55?  Where is your speed study?

Lowering the speed limit after a death due NOT to speeding, but to a rock getting kicked up (which could just as easily happen at 45-55 as it could at 70) is ludicrous.  The solution isn't to lower the speed limit.  The solution is to fix the potholes.

R,

74/171FAN

And that's around 30 miles of a lower speed limit for something that happened at just one pothole.  Seriously Alabama is going the easy way out to save money during by sacrificing the safety of its citizens on the road.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Bryant5493

Alabama has a lot of rough pavement. It seems like they just pave on top of the old pavement, without milling it.

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 19, 2010, 02:07:58 PM
So rural in fact that it goes through the Talladega National Forest.

So I guess the answer is set up a speed trap until it raises enough money to fix the road, and then keep the speed trap there while not fixing the road. Brilliant! </sarcasm>

Indeed (lol).

Be well,

Bryant

Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

agentsteel53

hmm, if we lower the speed limit by 15 mph per pothole, how many potholes do we need before the number wraps around and the new speed limit is nearly +32767 mph?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

allniter89

Maybe sarcasm on your side Cody but likely a "game plan" for ALDOT. :pan:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

codyg1985

Quote from: Bryant5493 on March 19, 2010, 04:04:18 PM
Alabama has a lot of rough pavement. It seems like they just pave on top of the old pavement, without milling it.

Usually they do mill the pavement before resurfacing, but often times they use Open-Graded pavement for the surface course, which provides protection against water spray during rain, but the pavement doesn't last as long as traditional pavement. The sections of road that are still concrete haven't been completely revamped in decades, and those are the roads that are notorious for rough pavement (I-20 east of Anniston and I-59 northeast of Gadsden being prime examples).

Often Alabama will "rubblize" the existing concrete pavement, which means they pulverize the pavement so that the remaining material can act as new base material upon which new layers of asphalt are applied.
Cody Goodman

sglaughlin

We were thru there on Wednesday evening (the 17th) after the incident causing the issue occured on the 15th.  At that time, they had one of these flashing portable road signs recommending 55MPH in the area discussed.

Grzrd

I have not seen a recent posting on this topic. Has Alabama reinstituted the pre-55 mph speed limit(s) for this stretch of I-20?  It not, are there any construction upgrades going on?

codyg1985

ALDOT has a project in the upcoming September letting to widen I-20 to six lanes between just west of the Talladega/Calhoun County Line to east of the AL 21 interchange.
Cody Goodman

The Premier

Quote from: rawmustard on March 19, 2010, 12:53:04 PM
A lot of people should challenge this. A freak death cannot by itself justify a change in the speed limit. If it were me, the first thing I'd ask for is the speed study which prompted the change.

Or, at the very least, repair it.
Alex P. Dent

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.