News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wind blown signs?

Started by 3web, August 12, 2016, 08:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3web

I was wondering if wind blown signs exist anywhere else than Vegas.

heres an example: www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NV19940931

And no, it's not peeling because of age, it's because the wind speed gets so high that it causes it to start peeling off the paint on the signs. Infact where I live, there was a wind blown speed limit sign, but it was replaced a couple of months ago.

(it's also more common to see the black peeling rather than the white)
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

tdindy88

I was in Vegas a few years ago and saw those signs, I always thought that it was just some weird font they were using for the U.S. highway shields.

corco

Yeah this is pretty common in Montana and Wyoming. I even saw it in Oregon a couple weeks ago. I don't know if the peeling is necessarily the wind.

ET21

I suspect many areas in the High Plains/Great Plains region experience this too, given the fact storm systems tend to bring in the strongest winds right down the mountain ranges and rush across the region.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Bruce

Brian556

I guarantee you that damage has nothing to do with the wind. Those signs are made with black film, which does not last as long as screen-printed letters or reflective sheeting. Black film very frequently shrivels or peels prematurely due to sun exposure. I hate it, and I wish it was not used for sign fabrication.

Brandon

How about when the wind knocks over the sign?

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2010, 04:09:27 PM
Here's one I'd been meaning to get a picture of the last three times it blew over, but caught it finally on the fourth time.

It's for Exit 267, IL-53, Bolingbrook/Romeoville - 2 miles on I-55 nbd.  The original was FHWA font.  After the first time it blew over, IDOT replaced it with Clearview.  Then it blew over two more times and was replaced, albiet damaged from the fall.  This time, they replaced the whole sign again (with Clearview again).

This is sadly, not uncommon around Illinois.  The wind knocks over the sign at one of the break points.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jbnv

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2016, 08:58:54 AM
How about when the wind knocks over the sign? [snip] This is sadly, not uncommon around Illinois.  The wind knocks over the sign at one of the break points.

This happens a lot in Louisiana when hurricanes come through. I suspect this is by design. The logic is that this event does less damage to the sign. If the posts were rigid, the wind could rip the sign off the posts. This way. the structure just falls over but stays intact.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jbnv

Quote from: Brian556 on August 13, 2016, 01:42:10 AM
I guarantee you that damage has nothing to do with the wind. Those signs are made with black film, which does not last as long as screen-printed letters or reflective sheeting. Black film very frequently shrivels or peels prematurely due to sun exposure. I hate it, and I wish it was not used for sign fabrication.

This also happens a lot in Louisiana, and why DOTD keeps letting it happen is a mystery to me.

Peeling La. Highway Sign by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

3web

Quote from: Brandon on August 13, 2016, 08:58:54 AM
How about when the wind knocks over the sign?

Quote from: Brandon on August 30, 2010, 04:09:27 PM
Here's one I'd been meaning to get a picture of the last three times it blew over, but caught it finally on the fourth time.

It's for Exit 267, IL-53, Bolingbrook/Romeoville - 2 miles on I-55 nbd.  The original was FHWA font.  After the first time it blew over, IDOT replaced it with Clearview.  Then it blew over two more times and was replaced, albiet damaged from the fall.  This time, they replaced the whole sign again (with Clearview again).

This is sadly, not uncommon around Illinois.  The wind knocks over the sign at one of the break points.

Well I guess signs knocked over by wind count.

This never happened in Vegas before (not that I know of) but I do remember a couple of years ago the wind getting so intense, that one of the bolts broke on the stop sign right out side my and it flipped upside down.
I did have pictures of the upside down sign, but that was on a phone that's long gone.
I was told that the stop sign was town maintained since I live in an unincorportated town, but I don't think they would come out to fix it, so my dad fixed it with another bolt.
Who knows where the road goes? Of course! Google maps!

Mohkfry

There's an exit sign on I-94 in Indiana that the Indiana 912 sheild is peeling. Sadly I don't have pics (the road is too busy and I'm always the one driving) and I can't post streetview links on an iPhone.

roadfro

Quote from: 3web on August 13, 2016, 02:32:23 PM
Well I guess signs knocked over by wind count.

This never happened in Vegas before (not that I know of) but I do remember a couple of years ago the wind getting so intense, that one of the bolts broke on the stop sign right out side my and it flipped upside down.
I did have pictures of the upside down sign, but that was on a phone that's long gone.
I was told that the stop sign was town maintained since I live in an unincorportated town, but I don't think they would come out to fix it, so my dad fixed it with another bolt.

Signs blowing over due to wind rarely happens in Nevada. This is because of the three-point bracing that most larger post-mounted signs use. Example from AARoads (Summerlin Pkwy in Las Vegas):

Note on the town/stop sign issue:  Unincorporated towns in Clark County nowadays are little more than geographic areas on maps. They all have "town boards", which are typically just advisory boards to the county commission on planning and development issues. Towns have no separate employees or maintenance forces. Your stop sign would have been fixed by Clark County Public Works employees had it been noticed or reported.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Max Rockatansky

I'll have to dig up some pictures but I have an I-17 (Arizona), I-10 (Arizona), I-25/BL (New Mexico) that are all 0.125 gauge as opposed to the standard 0.80.  My theory always was that they were designed that way to deal with the high winds from dust storms, all of them are a single sheet of vinyl as opposed to having raised numerals.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.