News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

More proposals for a new CT Route marker (I'm not stepping on ctsignguy!)

Started by wytout, August 14, 2009, 05:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wytout

First of all, I know that CTsignguy has already posted on the extensive work he's done doing mockups of CT15 route markers./
I think his work is awesome, and I'm posting my proposals not to compete with his, but to just get some more ideas out there, and really
to point out that I agree that something should be done with our hideous state route signage.  I'm sure we have a lot of common
ground here.  It sounds like he's talked more to ConnDOT than I have, but I have made my color proposals to them, and have already
been shot down.

Since being shot down, I've devoloped a quick idea based on our current boring shield, that might alternately give our roads a little
unique character of their own.

You can see all the proposals, the original color proposals that were shot down, and the new black and white which I've yet to present
to ConnDOT.

Questions and comments are welcome.

http://www.wytout.com/personal/routes.html
-Chris

Ian

The first proposal looks a little like a license plate while the second looks a little like SC's current design. Other than that, nice job!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

As nice as it looks, it still has the same critical flaw the other one did: color. Whatever design you come up with needs to be black and white in order to satisfy the (admittedly stupid) MUTCD guidance that:
State Route signs (see Figure 2D-3) should be rectangular and should be approximately the same size as the U.S. Route sign. State Route signs should also be similar to the U.S. Route sign by containing approximately the same size black numerals on a white area surrounded by a black background without a border. The shape of the white area should be circular in the absence of any determination to the contrary by the individual State concerned.

Still, the old black and white outline shields perfectly satisfied this and so going back to that design would be both simple and acceptable standard.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

ctsignguy

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

wytout

That's a black version of your prototype A right? Well, I have to say that's my favorite design of your ctsignguy, but i still wish it could be considered by ConnDOT in the blue you originally prototyped it in.  Either way though, if they could be convinced to go with the design but wouldn't budge from black and white, this is still the way to go.  I really think you've got it with this sign.
-Chris

yanksfan6129

:clap: :clap:

In general I think both wytout and ctsignguy did a great job in designing their signs, now let's pitch 'em to ConnDOT

City

QuoteAs nice as it looks, it still has the same critical flaw the other one did: color. Whatever design you come up with needs to be black and white in order to satisfy the (admittedly stupid) MUTCD guidance that:

QuoteState Route signs (see Figure 2D-3) should be rectangular and should be approximately the same size as the U.S. Route sign. State Route signs should also be similar to the U.S. Route sign by containing approximately the same size black numerals on a white area surrounded by a black background without a border. The shape of the white area should be circular in the absence of any determination to the contrary by the individual State concerned.
Still, the old black and white outline shields perfectly satisfied this and so going back to that design would be both simple and acceptable standard.

Hmm... I wonder why California, Colorado, Especially Vermont, Minnesota, South Carolina, South Dakota, and many others get through the "State Shields must be Black and White" thing.

Oh, and black and white is so 1960.  :sombrero:

Pitch 'im to ConnDOT again until you get it offical! Then we can work on Mass., Maine, Delaware, Mississippi, and some other states.

wytout

QuoteHmm... I wonder why California, Colorado, Especially Vermont, Minnesota, South Carolina, South Dakota, and many others get through the "State Shields must be Black and White" thing.

There is nothing to get through.  The black and white thing in the MUTCD is for guidance purposes only.  the official standard set forth by the FHWA in the 2003 MUTCD is that states are in charge of designing their own state route markers.  and it's directly followed by a period! lol.  Even in the guidance it states that the black and white circle bull is suggested in the abscense of any design set by the state.
-Chris

wytout

In general I think both wytout and ctsignguy did a great job in designing their signs, now let's pitch 'em to ConnDOT

Thanks yanksfan.  We clearly have more in common with road signage than with baseball teams  :biggrin:
-Chris

treichard

Quote from: ctsignguy on August 14, 2009, 09:38:24 PM
How about this one?

Suppose you crop off the top of the sign where it says CONN.  The state outline already identifies the state, so no info is lost. 

The remainder of the sign (CT state shape + interior number) can then be enlarged to the normal sign height and will probably fit into the same size as a typical 5:4 3-digit US shield sign.  The numbers are now bigger and more legible and the sign has a simpler yet effective design. 
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

ctsignguy

The only problem with that idea is that ConnDOT prefers NOT to use 24x30 shields....even for 3-di signs.....they will use them if there are no 24x24 blanks around, but when given a choice, will opt for a square every time...even with 2xx and 3xx routes
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

agentsteel53

what other signs use the 24x30 format?  I can think of some that are 30x24 (speed limit) but 24x30, with mounting holes located along the longer sides?  WRONG WAY perhaps?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

wytout

I think that wrong way signs I've seen are of the larger variety (30 X 45).
-Chris

froggie

Quotewhat other signs use the 24x30 format?  I can think of some that are 30x24 (speed limit) but 24x30, with mounting holes located along the longer sides?  WRONG WAY perhaps?

There are some signs that are 24x30.  Some MnDOT examples include Bike Lane, Divided Highway, Business District (similar specs for "Frontage Road", "Historic Site", and "High School"), and 3-digit state and U.S. routes that are on guide signage (standalone shields remain square).  Depending on the length of the city or county name, some city or county line markers may be 24x30.

Given MnDOT's US route guide sign specs, I would guess that those states that use a 3-digit sized shield for their US routes would have a 24x30 spec shield.

Wrong Way, at least in Minnesota, is a 2:3 size ratio, or 24x36.

wytout

QuoteWrong Way, at least in Minnesota, is a 2:3 size ratio, or 24x36.

You are correct on the 2:3 size ratio for Wrong Way signs.  It's the same here in CT.  I noticed it getting off Exit 45 SB on I-91 yesterday.  There are two RARE 30 X 24 Sheilds for CT 140, and on the back side of one of those is plastered a Wrong Way Shield.  The Wrong Way is the same height but definitely wider than the 4:3 aspect Route shield.
-Chris

ctsignguy

I am going to have a black CONN 15 as in the above piccy made up prior to my trip back to New England in late October....lets see what they say then!

*pouts* I still think blue is the cooler version!

Alex

Maybe you two should double up on them and meet ConnDOT together with the black and white shield proposal.  :sombrero:

wytout

I'd go.  I mean it's his pitch but I'd go along as the advocacy group for something better to look at on our state roads for sure! lol
-Chris

wytout

Thank you for the kudos.  As far as any proposal having any real hope, I think CTsignguy's nostalgic CT markers might actually have a real shot of being put into use someday.  That still seems to be the best possibility for CT with any shot at actually happening.  Unfortunately color will likely never happen, unless he really becomes best buds with Jeff and others at the CT sign shop hehe.  We like the MUTCD too much here to even think about really using colors in our route markers, lol.
-Chris

SidS1045

Quote from: treichardSuppose you crop off the top of the sign where it says CONN.  The state outline already identifies the state, so no info is lost.

Better not to assume the amount of geographical literacy that most of us in here have.  We know it's Connecticut, but the average driver won't necessarily know.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

ctsignguy

Have assembled two more prototypes for ConnDOT...see the UPDATE thread in the General Highway Talk for the gory photos.....

*G* if nothing else, i had one of each made for Jeff...then he can hang them up on his office wall as a silent advertisement!

wytout

They are looking good.  And I like the sound of Jeff's enthusiasm for them! Nice work doing a different route too in order to make sure they realize this is a statewide proposal and not just something for the Merritt/Wilbur!
-Chris

ctsignguy

In hindsight, if i was REALLY smart about it, i shoulda had one done up as CONN 254, or 322...one of the 2xx or 3xx routes...

Oh well, i will email Jeff in a few weeks and see how it went

shadyjay

I remember a few of the old "CONN" banner shields from years ago, but it wasn't until I started traveling the Merritt regularly when I discovered the old state outline shields.  I think the square marker is about as plain as you can get.  Great creations, ctsignguy.  I'd be all for anything over what we have now.  Some time ago, I found someone's idea of taking the license plate colors and making that a shield - thought that was pretty cool.  But if they're against colors, the black & white one you made, ctsignguy, looks awesome.  Is that what you'd have on the BGSs too, or just on standalone signs? 

ctsignguy

The black ones for pole-use...

it was suggested elsewhere on these fine forums that the original white ones be used for BGS, but one step at a time...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.