News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Looks more like Franklin Gothic than Helvetica to me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Zeffy on June 13, 2015, 11:32:35 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.330742,-81.810068,3a,18.7y,142.23h,106.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxDRH5GtLHhE5cwBj1tupgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shouldn't they have just taken that sign down entirely if all they were going to do was white-out everything on it?

Very strange. I wonder if it has something to do with that construction.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

SignGeek101

vdeane

I've seen "use two lanes" quite a few times at some exit ramps, but I don't think I've ever seen this before...
https://goo.gl/maps/WHmCi
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 13, 2015, 09:08:02 PM
I've seen "use two lanes" quite a few times at some exit ramps, but I don't think I've ever seen this before...

Area has a big issue with people using the shoulder as a passing lane due to often-heavy traffic during the summer and winter months. Instead of widening the corridor (as Warren and Washington Counties have been begging since long before I lived there), that's NYSDOT's solution. People don't follow the signs, either.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

thenetwork

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on June 13, 2015, 11:39:04 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.330742,-81.810068,3a,18.7y,142.23h,106.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxDRH5GtLHhE5cwBj1tupgw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Shouldn't they have just taken that sign down entirely if all they were going to do was white-out everything on it?

Very strange. I wonder if it has something to do with that construction.

They've always covered up lane signage in construction zones.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on June 13, 2015, 09:29:11 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 13, 2015, 09:08:02 PM

Area has a big issue with people using the shoulder as a passing lane due to often-heavy traffic during the summer and winter months. Instead of widening the corridor (as Warren and Washington Counties have been begging since long before I lived there), that's NYSDOT's solution. People don't follow the signs, either.

I choose...the lane on the left side of the yellow line.

Better options would've been Keep Off Shoulder and/or Do Not Ride Shoulder. 

UCFKnights

Florida seems to have a lot of all blued out signs where the vendors stopped paying to be listed on it. Sometimes they'll leave the headers on it, other times they cover that up too.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Is there an MUTCD sign that is for the "End of Road"? Or is it just "END OF ROAD"?

If it were in Canada, it would look like this:

Not my pic. All credit goes to the author.

I really wonder if a sign is needed there at all. It's not even a road, just a stub.  :hmmm:

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 15, 2015, 07:04:41 PM
Is there an MUTCD sign that is for the "End of Road"? Or is it just "END OF ROAD"?

There is. It's the W14-1 ("Dead end" sign) along with Type 4 object markers (red diamond). The W14-1 isn't required, but it's pretty common if it isn't a short stub, at least in the northeast.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

If it were in Canada, it would look like this:

Not my pic. All credit goes to the author.

I really wonder if a sign is needed there at all. It's not even a road, just a stub.  :hmmm:

Except you didn't give any credit to the author.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 15, 2015, 07:26:11 PM
Except you didn't give any credit to the author.

Well, all credit goes to the author of "Cape Town to Canada" Blog, which is unnamed.

roadfro

Quote from: cl94 on June 15, 2015, 07:12:57 PM

There is. It's the W14-1 ("Dead end" sign) along with Type 4 object markers (red diamond). The W14-1 isn't required, but it's pretty common if it isn't a short stub, at least in the northeast.

The "dead end" sign is not equivalent to an end of road sign. It is meant to warn of a road that has no other egress, and is to be placed near the last intersection prior to the end (not at the actual end of the road). However, the red object markers are used specifically for an end of road purpose. In Nevada, there are typically three red object markers posted at the end of the road.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mr. Matté

No one honked at me for actually stopping at the stop sign, 20 mph below the advisory speed.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 18, 2015, 10:08:02 AM

No one honked at me for actually stopping at the stop sign, 20 mph below the advisory speed.
That is misplacing of the 20 MPH sign. I interpret the assembly like this: Stop sign ahead - you are advised to go 20 MPH at this point.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

thenetwork

But officer, the sign said I could roll through the stop sign at 20 MPH!!!

kkt

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignGeek101

Mixed-case directional tab, anyone?

Could be considered a design error I guess.

Molandfreak

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 18, 2015, 04:20:08 PM
Umm... Okay?

Found that on Tumblr.
I've seen some signs that are similar; in context they make sense. Those are likely for a private parking lot that has a specific entrance and exit. That sign is put up in lieu of a wrong-way sign for the entrance. The exit likely has an "exit only do not enter" sign as well.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

cbeach40

If they want to reuse the sign in that location, then it's far cheaper to cover it up in the interim. Full removal of a sign is a good five to ten times more expensive than just sticking up new panels on it. And then it would be that much again to re-install the sign.

Overhead signs are incredibly expensive.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on June 13, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
Don't worry, Ontario does this all the time.

Courtesy Alps Roads

http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/

That's a commercial advertising sign, installed and maintained by a private company. They will re-install new logos on it when they sell the ad space again. If they took the sign down, then they would have to pay crews to take it down; then when they go to replace the sign they would need to get a new permit for the sign, design and install new sign supports, and get a crew to install the new sign. Leaving it blank gets the work done in an afternoon. Taking it up and down takes weeks longer and costs thousands of dollars more.
and waterrrrrrr!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.