News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 12, 2015, 02:46:57 AM
Does anyone have a feeling that this thread's gone downhill? I have already.

This thread started at the bottom of the hill.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

kkt

bugo

My point is that any study can be manipulated to make something look good or bad. My links showed Alabama as a middle of the road state as far as being safe when the OP claimed AL was one of the most dangerous states. Actually he said "violent" then posted links about "safest". Lists of "safest" areas take into account many things other than violence, like non-violent crime and car accidents. This thread has gone down the shitter and should just be locked.

intelati49

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 12, 2015, 02:46:57 AM
Does anyone have a feeling that this thread's gone downhill? I have already.

Meh, it has taken a few detours and wrong exits, but it's still one of the threads I check everyday.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2015, 01:13:33 PM
My point is that any study can be manipulated to make something look good or bad. My links showed Alabama as a middle of the road state as far as being safe when the OP claimed AL was one of the most dangerous states. Actually he said "violent" then posted links about "safest". Lists of "safest" areas take into account many things other than violence, like non-violent crime and car accidents. This thread has gone down the shitter and should just be locked.

A 56 page thread should be locked because of a few posts with a difference of opinion?

Alex4897

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2015, 01:13:33 PMThis thread has gone down the shitter and should just be locked.

You derail it for a dozen posts out of several hundred and then call for it being locked?
yea.
sure.
👉😎👉

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 12, 2015, 03:32:28 PM
Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2015, 01:13:33 PMThis thread has gone down the shitter and should just be locked.

You derail it for a dozen posts out of several hundred and then call for it being locked?
yea.
sure.

It should be noted that that comment was from bugo.
Clinched, plus NH 38, MA 286, and MA 193

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
Many state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25

New: MA 193 clinched and a tiny bit of CT 193 traveled

My computer is back; I'm just waiting for the Travel Mapping update to happen.

Pete from Boston

No one else seems to think so.  It's an entertaining thread as long as long as everyone treats other posters nicely, which is easy to do because it's just a silly internet thread about signs and nothing in any way more serious than that.  We are all capable of reaching that very, very low bar.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Zeffy on August 09, 2015, 07:47:26 PM
That came out wrong. Being from the northeast, shooting signs is, well, not heard of in my parts of the woods. I'm not judging Alabama; my statement was based off of Alabama ranking high on the "most violent states" lists published by various websites. I'm sure there are nice places in Alabama, much like every state despite what people think.
Really? Because I'm from the northeast, and I've seen my share of it. Aside from using the sign as target practice, and the non-standard colors, what attracted my curiosity is the "Emergency 911" caption underneath.

That "E" does stand for "Emergency," right?

Zeffy

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2015, 01:13:33 PM

The person who is against moderation is suggesting moderation. How ironic. This thread is fine as it is. Most of the discussion is focused on the signs. If this small tangent gets out of control, it gets split and canned or made into a new topic.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

theline

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 10, 2015, 06:36:38 PM
I fully agree with the consensus that this is not real. It just looks too much like the sign looks on a computer before actually being manufactured and exposed to even the most basic elements like air. Also theline says that this is on IN 66 but the road looks like it is gravel. As far as I know IN 66 is fully paved.

My apologies to all for inadvertently misrepresenting the sign. The picture showed up among a bunch of iPhone photos that I took in Leavenworth and Derby, Indiana, on our recent vacation. Since it was among those pictures, I assumed I had snapped it there. I now realize that I must have saved the photo off of some web site, which is an extreme rarity for me. I can't even recall why I saved it, and I wish I hadn't.

I'm sorry to have caused such an uproar. I'm grateful to those sleuths that figured it out. My face is still red.  :colorful:

formulanone

Quote from: kkt on August 12, 2015, 12:53:41 PM
Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2015, 07:50:00 AM
Two can play the link game.

http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/blog/2014/06/where-does-alabama-rank-among-the-nations-safest.html

http://wvtm.membercenter.worldnow.com/story/25786041/alabama-ranked-in-top-25-safest-states-in-us-according-to-new-study

Bugo, you do realize that these are the same study, repeated by local Alabama news organizations to emphasize the parts that make selected other states look worse than Alabama?

My head hasn't been mistaken for a sign, so that's good enough for me.

vdeane

Quote from: Zeffy on August 12, 2015, 06:32:51 PM
Can't say I've seen any in Hillsborough or the surrounding area. Then again, New Jersey gun laws are strict so maybe people think twice about it...
It's also more common in rural areas.  Given that there are fewer rural areas in NJ than in states that aren't wedged between NYC and Philly, it stands to reason that signs with bullet holes are less common in NJ as well.  There are a few in northern NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

I'm just gonna insert a couple unique signs I spotted in Seattle-area today:

Trucks over 40 feet? Are they common? Thought it was for height, not length. Whoops.
http://i.imgur.com/WI1HQMv.jpg

Probably contractor-installed. Besides the white guide sign, Washington doesn't currently use this style of gantry:

Big John

Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2015, 07:27:27 PM

Trucks over 40 feet? Are they common?
Semi Trucks usually have a 53' long trailer.

Alex4897

Is the confusion here over whether or not this is referring to height or length?  Length seems like the only possible restriction in the scenario that the ramp is narrow and has sharp corners.

EDIT: late, poor mobile connection FTL
👉😎👉

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on August 12, 2015, 07:32:55 PM

I was thinking height. God damn I'm stupid.

Quote from: Alex4897 on August 12, 2015, 07:33:42 PM
Is the confusion here over whether or not this is referring to height or length?  Length seems like the only possible restriction in the scenario that the ramp is narrow and has sharp corners.

Yeah, turns out I can't think today. Must have been the thunderstorm this morning.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Big John on August 12, 2015, 07:32:55 PM

I'm pretty sure that has been the standard for over 20 years. I still remember when 48' was considered the norm.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 12, 2015, 08:59:15 PM
interesting use of a full colour VMS in Minneapolis:

That's fantastic.  The fact that I'm reading this board makes it reasonable that my first reaction was, "The corners are squared" and the second, "It's digital!"

iBallasticwolf2

(Image)
That's brilliant. Pretty advanced VMS considering it can display a sign. Really shows what a full colour VMS can actually do.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

cl94

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 12, 2015, 09:50:46 PM

(Image)
That's brilliant. Pretty advanced VMS considering it can display a sign. Really shows what a full colour VMS can actually do.

I thought the VMSes in Ontario that can show single-color versions of warning signs and modified APLs were advanced. This takes it to a new level.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

Ontario still hasn't really ever used their fully colour VMS signs to their potential.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.