News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Going from Dallas, Texas to Pembina, North Dakota and back

Started by ZLoth, December 07, 2021, 07:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

I'm thinking of doing a road trip from Dallas, Texas to Pembina, North Dakota in about a year or so. The trip northward will be on US-75 as a end-to-end, then southward on I-29 end-to-end to Kansas City, then I-35 back to Dallas. I'm looking at the following:

Day 1 - Dallas, TX to Independence, KS (330 Miles)
Day 2 - Independence, KS to Blair, NE (322 Miles)
Day 3 - Blair, NE to Ortonville, Minnesota (316 Miles)
Day 4 - Ortonville, Minnesota to Pembina, North Dakota (280 Miles)
Day 5 - Pembina, North Dakota to Sioux Falls, ID (391 Miles)
Day 6 - Sioux Falls, ID to Kansas CIty, MO (363 Miles)
Day 7 - Kansas City, MO to Oklahoma City, OK (350 Miles)
Day 8 - Oklahoma City, OK to Dallas, TX (220 Miles)

Thoughts?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

webny99

Sounds fun! Not a lot going on in North Dakota especially once you get north of Grand Forks, but there is a State Museum in Pembina that's kind of interesting and worth a stop once you make it that far!

It has an observation tower that provides the closest thing you're going to get to a "view" in that part of the country. You can see part of I-29 from above, including the Pembina interchange and the border, as I recall. So if you're into clinching, you could probably call that a "sight clinch" of I-29 if you don't want to go beyond the Pembina exit to the border.

oscar

^ The north end of US 75 might be right at the border, though that's unclear. The former U.S. border station used to be coned off. However, the cones weren't there last time I was, and I drove to the barricade at the border (or maybe a few feet north of the border, judging from the monument marking the border). So you might not have to settle for a "sight clinch" for US 75.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ZLoth

If I really want to clinch it, I would continue north to Winnipeg via Canada Route 75. Would that be considered a Super end-to-end?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: ZLoth on December 08, 2021, 06:03:31 PM
If I really want to clinch it, I would continue north to Winnipeg via Canada Route 75. Would that be considered a Super end-to-end?

I did US/MN/ON 61 all in one shot, guess I never thought of what to call that. I'll get on board with that.  :nod:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

Quote from: ZLoth on December 08, 2021, 06:03:31 PM

The south end of Manitoba 75 was rerouted to become a continuation of I-29/US 81, not US 75. Parts of the old MB 75 are now part of MB 200, and an unnumbered road continuing toward the permanently-closed (except for trains) Emerson/US 75 border crossing, but with traffic blocked a few hundred feet short of the border.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.