Regional Boards > Northwest

Interstate 82 in Washington and Oregon

<< < (2/13) > >>

nexus73:
Years ago I saw a map online which showed I-82 was proposed to go to Seattle instead of ending at Ellensburg.  Sounds strange given I-90 is a transcontinental route number and it did wind up being the number which wound up going to Seattle.  Does anyone know the background on the I-82 to Seattle proposal?

Rick

Mapmikey:

--- Quote from: nexus73 on September 24, 2022, 09:42:05 AM ---Years ago I saw a map online which showed I-82 was proposed to go to Seattle instead of ending at Ellensburg.  Sounds strange given I-90 is a transcontinental route number and it did wind up being the number which wound up going to Seattle.  Does anyone know the background on the I-82 to Seattle proposal?

Rick

--- End quote ---

There are no documents in the Oregon or Washington AASHO files with this proposal.  I-82 was originally supposed to go to Portland OR

The Aug 1957 and June 1958 maps do not suggest this was a thing either.  Prelim map from June 1958 also does not show it.

However, the memo from AASHO to the states 6/2/58 explicitly says 82 is to be dual marked with 90 into Seattle.  I did not find another document to undo that description.  I have not located any map that shows it.

To see this memo, first access the AASHO database search page, then use this link - https://na4.visualvault.com/app/AASHTO/Default/documentviewer?DhID=c5877049-37e6-ea11-a98a-ff9beffbfef8&hidemenu=true

Bruce:

--- Quote from: nexus73 on September 24, 2022, 09:42:05 AM ---Years ago I saw a map online which showed I-82 was proposed to go to Seattle instead of ending at Ellensburg.  Sounds strange given I-90 is a transcontinental route number and it did wind up being the number which wound up going to Seattle.  Does anyone know the background on the I-82 to Seattle proposal?

Rick

--- End quote ---

In 1959, the Washington State Highway Commission petitioned the BPR to add the western half of US 410 (from Aberdeen to Yakima) to the Interstate system, likely as an extension of I-82. It was rejected, but would've fit some definition of serving the Seattle(-Tacoma) region.

Also found some interesting tidbits in the I-705 application packet from 1978, which includes correspondence about renumbering I-80N and I-82. One of the proposals:

Amaury:

Rick
--- End quote ---

I wonder if that means Interstate 90's western terminus would have originally been in Ellensburg instead of Seattle and Interstate 82 would have continued past Exit 110. The physical roads themselves would have been the same, just the routing designations would have been different. Then Interstate 82 being a west-east route, based on the even number, would have made more sense.

Quillz:

--- Quote from: Amaury on September 24, 2022, 05:24:43 AM ---I mean, the road itself wouldn't be truncated, just the I-82 designation between Ellensburg and Exit 37 and between Exit 113 and the Interstate 84 junction. But that is also why I mentioned that the more logical "fix," if one were to occur, would be to change it to an odd number.

--- End quote ---
Doing this would create an interstate that is completely isolated. As it would not directly connect to I-90 or I-84 anymore. Simply to create more of a west-east interstate. This completely defeats the purpose. I-82 is diagonal and thus doesn't perfectly fit as either an even or odd number. But it serves an important purpose of getting traffic from Boise to Seattle. It almost seems more like those diagonal US highways where the numbers didn't really fit at all (such as US-62) but still served as important regional corridors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version