News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Multiple sports events on the same day

Started by Bruce, March 03, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you attended multiple sports events on the same day?

Yes, but same sport
2 (8%)
Yes, but different sports
12 (48%)
No
7 (28%)
Other (explain)
4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Bruce

Just curious, as some teams have packages/special ticket deals where you can watch their game and another team's in the same city on the same day. Multi-event days in the same sport also count, just check the specific option in this poll.

For me, I've just completed my first pro multi-sport day yesterday: went to a Seattle Kraken (NHL) game at 1 pm, took a break in downtown, then went to the Seattle Sounders (MLS) match at 7 pm. The Sounders and Mariners also frequently have crossover days (and even play at the same time across the street from each other) during the summer.

Max Rockatansky

I used to go to the Men Basketball Big Ten Tournament and CCHA Tournament every year.  Those events typically chained numerous games back to back during a single day.  I've been to a bunch of baseball double headers.

Jim

I've done many two-game days for college hockey where the ECAC tournament's semifinals are played back-to-back (probably almost 20 of the last 30 years I've been to those), and many NCAA college hockey tournament regionals and Frozen Fours, which also have back-to-back games on the same day.  I think it was only once that I and a few others did all 6 games over 3 days in two neighboring NCAA regionals.  I believe it was 2 games Friday in Worcester, 2 games Saturday afternoon in Providence, 1 game Saturday evening back in Worcester, then the last back in Providence on Sunday afternoon.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jmacswimmer

Did this once in Chicago around New Year 2022 - the Bears had a home game at noon (it wound up being Matt Nagy's last home game prior to being fired, as well as the game where Robert Quinn broke the franchise record for sacks in a season), and the Blackhawks happened to have a home game later that evening. We had a couple hours in between, so we took a bus back to our hotel from Soldier Field, warmed up in the room for a bit (it was 20's & windy at the Bears game), then took the red line & blue line over to United Center.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bing101

Olympics probably when one can go to multiple sports events at the same time.

jeffandnicole

A number of years back, I went to a Philadelphia Eagles game at 1pm.  At 8pm was a Philadelphia Phillies playoff game, which we went to as well.  Between the games and tailgating, we probably spent about 15-16 hours in South Philly between the 2 events.

ilpt4u

I've been to Thursday and Friday of the Missouri Valley Mens Basketball Tournament in St Louis

Also on a planned Houston trip to take in Bears/Texans as a road fan, which was a Sunday Noon CDT game, MLB and ESPN just happened to flex the Cubs/Astros game that day, originally scheduled for 1 pm CDT, to Sunday Night Baseball at 6 pm CDT, so ended up going to both games on the trip!

1995hoo

I voted "Other" because I've been to multiple of the same sport and multiple involving different sports. I've attended the ACC basketball tournament and have thus been to as many as four basketball games (all involving different teams, of course) in one day, and I've also been to at least one MLB single-admission doubleheader caused by a late-season rainout. On at least one occasion, I've also gone to an afternoon Nationals baseball game followed by an evening Capitals game the same day.

It's possible to go to both hockey and basketball on the same day in the same arena in DC on a fairly regular basis, most often if there's an afternoon Georgetown basketball game followed by an evening Caps game, but I've never done that because I have no interest in Georgetown. (They don't normally do NBA–NHL doubleheaders on the same day because they use a different configuration for the stands that takes longer to switch over because of a bunch of folding chairs.) It would also be very easy to go to baseball and then soccer because the two stadiums are right down the street from each other, but I've never done that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

I've been to the NCAA basketball tournament a few times, seeing four games in one day. Also had a day where I caught a Royals and Chiefs game on the same day.

Flint1979

June 12, 2013: I went to Chicago for the day and had planned on attending a Cubs game at Wrigley and a Sox game at Comiskey. I got to the Cubs game since they played a day game (the Sox and Cubs usually aren't at home at the same time so this was a rare chance to get to see two games in the same day) after a few innings I was checking my phone and heard about some storms coming in later that night. So the Sox game got rained out and I mentioned well it's game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals with the Blackhawks and Bruins playing. One of the guys I was with said let's see if we can get tickets to the Hawks game I was like I've never been to a Finals game before that'd be pretty cool. So we got on stubhub and scored some tickets to the Hawks game. I remember Boston being up 2-0 before the Hawks scored a goal late in the 2nd period to make it 2-1 at the 2nd intermission then I think Boston scored again to make it 3-1 in the 3rd, then the Hawks scored 2 goals to tie it sending it to OT, 3 OT's to be exact. Andrew Shaw scored the winning goal in the 3rd OT. This is perhaps the craziest sports day of my life. I left Saginaw at 6 in the morning, made it to Chicago shortly after 10am central time and left Chicago at 2:30am the next morning and only made it to Portage, Indiana before saying I'm getting a damn hotel room and calling it a night.

epzik8

Not the same day, but in the same weekend, Capitals on Saturday and Redskins on Sunday, that game ending about 21 hours after the Saturday puck drop.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

TheHighwayMan3561

A couple years ago I went to a Twins game in the early afternoon, then crossed to St. Paul to watch their AAA team play a doubleheader.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Never done it for pro sports, but in college there were several times I went to multiple events on campus the same day.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

I distinctly remember going to a Cubs game in the daytime and an NBA Finals game at night on the same date; it would have to be during the Bulls' first three-peat because I was living in Los Angeles when they got their second one.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Road Hog

Back in the day I covered sports and I'd cover multiple games in multiple sports depending on the season. Later I got smarter and had the coaches call me instead.

hbelkins

College football game in Morehead, Ky.; followed by a high school basketball game in Letcher, Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

I used to shoot sports for VCU and it wasn't uncommon for me to cover two different sporting events in one day.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Buck87

I have 2 notable ones:

Sep 1, 2007

Game 1 at 12:00 pm: Ohio State 38 Youngstown State 6

In between games: watched the end of Appalachian State's upset of Michigan on a TV someone had set up at a tailgate in one of the west campus parking lots. Avoided the traffic trying to get to OH 315 and instead made my made my way west over to US 33 along the Scioto River, took that up to I-270 east over to I-71 north. Made it to Cleveland just barely in time for the first pitch of...

Game 2 at 7:05 pm: Indians 7 White Sox 0.

April 10, 2015:

My brother in law from Georgia was in Cleveland for a work conference and wanted to go to a Cavs game to see LeBron play in person. We got tickets for a 7:30 home game against the Celtics. This just happened to be the same day as the Indians home opener at 4:10 pm. My plan was to head up early and hang out in the area between the arena and ballpark to take in the opening day atmosphere before meeting my BIL around 6:30. Around the 2nd or 3rd inning of the game I was standing near the fence that divides the ballpark concourse from Eagle Ave and some guy inside the stadium offered me a free extra ticket through the fence. So that's how I unintendedly got into...

Game 1: Tigers 8 Indians 4.
I knew I couldn't stay for the whole game so I took the opportunity to explore the various changes that had been done to the stadium in an offseason renovation. This included the disappointing "shipping containers" in the right field upper deck, which have now been removed during an ongoing renovation this offseason. I had to leave the game early to meet my BIL outside the arena in time for..

Game 2: Celtics 99 Cavaliers 90
At his point in the season the Cavs were locked into their playoff seed and didn't put much effort into this game, but at least LeBron did start so my BIL was able to say he saw him play in person.     

boilerup25

Here's one I remember:

January 28, 2024 (note: scores will be AWAY-HOME):

The Purdue Boilermakers men's basketball team take on the Rutgers Scarlet Knights in Piscataway and win, 68-60.
The Purdue Boilermakers women's basketball team take on Ohio State Buckeyes in West Lafayette but lose, 71-68.
The Indiana Pacers take on the Memphis Grizzlies in Indianapolis and win, 110-116.

I attended the Pacers game.

jp the roadgeek

April 26,1995.  Attended the Penn Relays at Franklin Field in the afternoon.  Went to the Phillies-Pirates season opener at The Vet that night. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

On the hosting side of this, Madison Square Garden hosted Georgetown/St John's NCAAMBB earlier this afternoon, and is hosting Blues/Rangers NHL hockey tonight - pretty quick turnaround for the Garden from Bball to Hockey configuration

1995hoo

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 09, 2024, 07:28:44 PM
On the hosting side of this, Madison Square Garden hosted Georgetown/St John's NCAAMBB earlier this afternoon, and is hosting Blues/Rangers NHL hockey tonight - pretty quick turnaround for the Garden from Bball to Hockey configuration

That's not all that unusual. Verizon Center in DC frequently does the same with Georgetown basketball in the afternoon and hockey at night. One thing they did to expedite the process was to change the seating configuration for Georgetown games. For NBA games, and for the ACC Tournament this week, they extend the lower part of the stands further out and use a bunch of folding chairs to add seating, given how much smaller the basketball court is than the ice. For Georgetown, the seating is in an arrangement closer to what's used for hockey, with fewer folding chairs and the stands not pulled out as far, to reduce the amount of stuff they have to move (and, I suspect but don't know, to reduce the number of heat-generating bodies seated in locations on top of the ice, as same-day basketball/hockey back-to-backs have resulted in a lot of player complaints about poor ice quality).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gonealookin

My most recent multiple-event day was 10/15/2021 in Vegas:  the Shriners Childrens Open (PGA Tour) during the day, then a Henderson Silver Knights minor league hockey game in the evening.  The golf is at TPC Summerlin, and at that time the Silver Knights played in the arena at the Orleans Hotel, so that's probably 15 minutes of driving in between.  The Silver Knights now have their own arena in Henderson so there would be a bit more driving.

A few years back I recall a Cal football game at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley on Saturday afternoon and then an Oakland A's game at the Coliseum at night.  That's maybe 20 minutes walk from the football stadium to BART in downtown Berkeley followed by a 25 minute BART ride.

DandyDan

I don't recall ever seeing two professional sports events in one day, but I remember a few times in college that I went to multiple events in a day.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Konza

One year I attended the Brickyard 400 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the afternoon and then drove to Chicago to watch the Cubs and Cardinals play a night game at Wrigley Field.

Because, for weather reasons, MLB generally will not have the Chicago franchises open at home, the Cubs and White Sox will usually have a series where both are home on the same days.  If the games are not scheduled at the same time, it isn't that difficult to attend both, and I've done so numerous times.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.