News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Favorite/least favorite segments of 2dis?

Started by Zeffy, March 21, 2015, 10:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Favorites:
I-95 from Fayetteville, NC south to SC.
I-95 in Northern NJ from the PA Turnpike to the GWB as the NJ Turnpike is to be admired.
I-80 from Columbia, NJ to the I-380 junction as the Delaware Water Gap and Pocono Mountains are absolutely breathtaking.
I-78 from Exit 11 in NJ to Fogelsville, PA-  Great country and hills.
I-76 from Carlisle to New Stanton- Cannot get much better than that of mix of farms and rolling hills.  Plus the PA Turnpike Tunnels is great to experience!
I-35 from Wichita to Emporia through the Flint Hills.  The best part is the 34 mile exit less stretch from Cassaday to where I-35 leaves the toll road.
I-15 through Arizona.
I-45 in Texas from Huntsville to Houston.  I like the feeder road of the busy interstate with every chain restaurant, box store, gas station, to every other type of strip mall.  If you miss the business you want to visit, just go to the next exit and turnabout via the Texas U turns under the freeway and stay local on the other side's freeway feeder to where you saw where you want to go on that side or your side.  Take another Texas U turn back if its the latter.
I-75 from Knoxville to Williamsburg, KY has great mountains to experience.

Least favorites:
I-10 from Baton Rouge to Lake City, FL- Too boring and nothing to see. Yawn as NE 2 would say.
I-75 from Macon south to the Florida Turnpike in Florida. Also not much to see other than Paines Prairie.  The part from Ocala to Wildwood seems the longest of the whole travel especially SB, where you cannot wait to reach the Turnpike.
I-95 in Georgia is nothing to write home about.
I-75 from Fort Myers to Punta Gorda and again from Port Charlotte to Sarasota puts you to sleep as nothing but pine trees along the way.  The 13 miles from SR 78 to Tucker's Grade seems way longer than that as that is the worst of I-75.
I-49 from Opalouses, LA to Shreveport is total nothing. I can see why LADOTD raised the speed limit to 75 mph there.  Not even good motorist service exits from Alexandria to Shreveport except for one at Nachotoches.
I-75 from St Igace, MI to Sault Ste. Marie, MI as total nothing in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  Not even many other cars on the road making you wonder why that stretch was included in the interstate mileage.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Darkchylde

Favorites:

I-10 between Lafayette and Baton Rouge, between I-55 and I-310, and on the east side of Mobile as you go over and under the bay. Long drives over swamp and water, and strangely calming.
I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction. The scenery's absolutely breathtaking as you pass through the mountains.
I-80 in western Nevada is also a great run for scenery, and if you can time it to hit Reno at dusk... the lights make it awesome.
I-84 between I-15 and I-86. Not quite as much of a scenery player as some of the others, but still some impressive sights as you leave the Rockies behind you.
I-55 going north from Jackson til just before DeSoto is a nice woodsy drive with not too many exits to disrupt the flow.
I-49 from Belton, MO to Kansas City, at night. Slightly less impressive during the day.

Least favorites:

I-30 and I-35W in Fort Worth. Cramped, a little outmoded, and feels like rush hour even at midnight on a Sunday.
I-75/85 in Atlanta. Way too much going on.
I-70 between the CO/KS state line and Topeka. Yawnfest.
I-45 in Houston, inside I-610. Too underpowered for the traffic. Can resemble a parking lot at the best of times south of I-10.
I-40 in New Mexico, except through Albuquerque, and in Texas from the NM/TX state line until Amarillo. Although there's a lot of history along that road, especially if you're hunting old 66 alignments, it's not quite as exciting scenerywise and just a bit too long and desolate. If you're passing through and not hunting old alignments, I recommend a Big Gulp full of coffee.
I-10 within Baton Rouge. Going over the Basin is an experience. Going through Baton Rouge is a traffic nightmare. Add in the left merge from I-110, the woefully underpowered three-lane carriageways with the bridges still trapped in the 60's, and the weaving at the I-10/I-12 split, and you'll wonder how you made it out alive.

Henry

I'll throw my hat into the ring...

Favorites:
I-5 through Seattle
I-90/I-94 through Chicago
I-5 from Sacramento to Portland
I-15 in Las Vegas
I-8, entire length

Least favorites:
I-5 through Los Angeles
I-80 through IL
I-10 from Santa Monica to San Bernardino
I-70 from Denver to Kansas City
I-57, entire length
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Bruce

Favorites:

I-5 in Downtown Seattle
I-5 southbound approaching Everett (on a clear day with a view of Rainier)
I-90 across Lake Washington
I-90 across Snoqualmie Pass
I-90 at Vantage

Least favorites:

I-5 in Downtown Seattle (during rush hour)
I-90 between George and Ritzville

Halian

Favorite

The last 15 or so miles of I-4 before the I-75 interchange

Least Favorite

I-4 in central Volusia County
HalDOT, featuring my Hoennverse and Safir Alliance worldbuilding projects

authenticroadgeek

FAVORITE
Interstate 80 Eastbound in Utah past SLC: This stretch of I-80 is just about the best you can get near/in Salt Lake!

Interstate 15 North/South between Payson and Lagoon: Orem is the most urban city without tons of skyscrapers possibly in the entire Mountain West. The urban buildings in SLC are breathtaking.

LEAST FAVORITE
Interstate 15 Southbound past Payson: Not only does it get nowhere, but I do NOT like barren-wasteland environments. This is just within Utah, of course. Once you approach Las Vegas, it's a beautiful sprawling urban environment, which I like.

Interstate 15 Northbound past Lagoon: Really, UDOT? You could have assigned I-15 to an area less... barren. The last real city you see in Utah is Tremonton. After that, you have to wait until you get to Pocatello.

ftballfan

Favorite
I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga (Monteagle Mountain and the big hills the freeway goes around coming into Nooga are the highlights of a drive to Florida)
I-75 between Chattanooga and Macon (rolling terrain outside of Atlanta and somewhat reminds me of Michigan freeways)
I-76 from the OH/PA line to Breezewood (nice scenery and mountains)
I-70 from Breezewood to Hancock (see note on I-76 above)
I-90/I-94 in Chicago (when traffic is moving)
I-69 north of Indianapolis (in part due to fewer trucks than I-65)
I-75 from Bay City to Detroit (Zilwaukee, rolling hills, traffic usually moving right along, and three lanes most of the way)

Least favorite
I-80/I-90 from Gary to Cleveland (BORING!)
I-4 from Orlando to Tampa (I've never been on that stretch without seeing an accident and/or a traffic jam)
I-75 from Macon to Wildwood (seems like every rural interchange in southern GA looks exactly the same)
I-65 north of Louisville (only two lanes each way most of the time, and a 55 mph speed limit wherever there is a third lane, not to mention lots of trucks)
I-94 from Kalamazoo to Marshall (trucks on trucks on trucks; also only two lanes each way; I-94 from Benton Harbor to Chicago is made more bearable by the third lane)

TravelingBethelite

Reviving this thread in t-minus NOW!:
Favorite
I-84 in western New York, especially west of NY 17.
I-95 along the shoreline east of New Haven all the way to New London.
I-70 through Ohio-Indiana-Illinois, excluding Columbus and Metro St. Louis
I-691 past Meriden and on the approach to I-84.
I-70 through Breezewood  :bigass: (I just love the more-than-necessary commercialization there for some reason)

Least Favorite
I-70 from WV line to the PA turnpike, per usual.
I-95 in the urban areas from Trenton to New Haven
I-295 around Richmond
I-84 from East Hartford to Providence (also :bigass:)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Rothman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 21, 2015, 01:26:12 PM
Favorite

Hard to think of Orange County as "western New York"...perhaps you mean I-86? :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jbnati27

Favorites:
I-40 between the I-81 split in TN and Hickory NC (Nice scenery with the Smokey Mtns)
I-26 from the TN/VA line to Asheville NC and again from Asheville NC to Spartanburg SC (Beautiful Mtns)
I-68 entire length (Light traffic, long ridges, one after the other)
I-74 / US52 from the NC/VA line to Winston-Salem NC (Foothills on the left, Pilot Mtn)
I-84 from Portland OR to Hood River OR (Columbia River valley)
I-70 from Zanesville, OH to WV line (Foothills in Ohio)
I-99 in PA (Light traffic, beautiful mountains)
I-89 in VT (Light traffic, rugged scenery)

Least Favorites:
I-75 between Dayton OH and Cincinnati OH (Very developed, industrial and absolutely crazy traffic), with I-75 from Cincinnati OH to Mt. Vernon KY being a close second (Crazy traffic)
I-70 between Dayton OH and Columbus OH (Heavy truck traffic, flat, and boring)
I-71 between Morrow OH and Columbus OH (Flat and boring)
I-40 between Knoxville TN and the I-81 split (Insane traffic)

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Rothman on September 21, 2015, 03:16:41 PM
Favorite

Hard to think of Orange County as "western New York"...perhaps you mean I-86? :D

Okay then, maybe "south-western" New York, or just Orange County. Just curious, what geographic term would you use to describe Orange County, other than Orange County?  :)
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 22, 2015, 01:18:50 PM
Favorite

Okay then, maybe "south-western" New York, or just Orange County. Just curious, what geographic term would you use to describe Orange County, other than Orange County?  :)

"Southwestern" New York would still perfectly describe I-86 west of Binghamton.  Maybe "(south)western Hudson Valley"?

Or yes, just Orange County works fine. :P

Rothman

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 22, 2015, 01:18:50 PM
Favorite

Orange County works.  Some people probably lump it in with "Hudson River Valley" too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

DJDBVT

Favorite:

I-91 from Northampton, MA to the Canadian border.
I-93 from the Braintree split to the Zakim Bridge.
I-87 north of Albany, NY

Least favorite:
I-84 west of Hartford, CT to NY line
I-95 south of New Haven, CT to NY line
I-91 from the CT line to Northampton, MA

Jim

Late to this thread..  It's far from my favorite, but I do want to put in a good word for the I-90/Thruway segment between Amsterdam and Albany - part of my regular commute.  It has nice views of the Mohawk Valley and the Helderberg Escarpment.  Try it a few weeks from now and the colors in the valley will be at fall peak.  No, it's got nothing on my former commute over the Berkshires on I-90/Mass Pike, but I'm happy to drive this segment twice a day instead of the messes your typical big city commuter has to deal with.

I do think the Thruway starts to get boring west of Utica as the terrain flattens out more.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

capt.ron

I-40 by state (the parts I have driven):
Favorite parts (in California): Barstow to Ludlow and South Pass to Needles.
Least favorite: none, really.
Arizona: Lupton area is my favorite, and the part around Flagstaff. Least Favorite: the stretch from east of Topock to Yucca.
New Mexico: Favorite stretches would be from the NM/AZ state line all the way to Albuquerque. Least favorite would be the long, straight stretch east of Clines Corners (east of NM 3) to just west of Santa Rosa.
Texas: TX/NM state line to just west of Vega and also the area from Groom to Shamrock are my favorites. Least favorite: The Amarillo area.
Oklahoma I-40 west of OKC is my favorite. Least would east of OKC.
Arkansas: Van Buren to Conway is pretty. Little Rock to West Memphis is my least liked.
Tennessee: East of Jackson to the outskirts of Nashville is my favorite stretch. Memphis to Jackson is my least favorite stretch. I haven't driven I-40 east of Nashville so I won't say anything about that.

I-65: Tennessee: north of the Nashville area to the KY state line is my favorite. Least favorite: Nashville metro area.
Alabama: driven the stretch from Birmingham to Montgomery. It's okay but not much to write home about.

I-24: Tennessee: favorite stretch is from Chattanooga to Monteagle. Least favorite: Manchester to Nashville.

I-10: Florida: east of the Pensacola area (FL 87) to I-75 is my least liked. It's nothing more than pine forests, really.

Rothman

Quote from: DJDBVT on September 25, 2015, 07:12:35 AM
Least favorite:

For I-84 and I-95, I was nodding along with you -- I hate I-84 from Hartford through NY:  Right lane drops on and off, the winding route through CT seems to take forever and then you have that horrible 55 mph stretch in NY for little reason (I know some say it isn't enforced, but I've seen troopers along it recently).  I-95 is just traffic hell into the City.

But I-91 north of the CT line?  I actually like the Forest Park curve, although I wish they'd stop messing with the elevated highway in Springfield (why they did that ramp reversal project, I'll never understand).  The two-lane section north of Holyoke to, say, Deerfield also needs to be three-laned since there are a lot of slowpokes as you make your way be by Mount Tom and the Holyoke Range.  It's really not that bad in my book.

roadman65

I forgot to mention I-70 east of Limon, CO.  From there to the Kansas State Line is not only un-Colorado like, but totally boring as it is all flat with total nothing.  Even in Kansas which could be considered boring all the way to Abilene, at least has wheat fields  along the path and grain silos off in the distance with small town always seen within the horizon!

Once you get to Abilene, KS you then see the Flint Hills, and then the cluster of cities as east of US 81 the population of Kansas is way more dense than that of it west of US 81.  Therefore I-70 has something to see as the Flint Hills is neat to look at, and then incorporated areas frequently to let up on the boredom some until you reach Topeka.

In addition all of I-90 west of the Missouri River to Rapid City is all boring as South Dakota seems to be very sparse in population on the west side of the river allowing more unsettled land from the valley westward.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: capt.ron on September 25, 2015, 12:42:31 PM
Tennessee: East of Jackson to the outskirts of Nashville is my favorite stretch. Memphis to Jackson is my least favorite stretch.

Aargh. The whole stretch from Nashville to Memphis kills me. I've only driven it once, and never will again unless absolutely necessary. If I'm going to Memphis and points beyond, I'll use the Kentucky parkways and US 51 to Dyersburg, then either I-155 and I-55 or stay on US 51. I know I-55 in Arkansas is incredibly boring, but it's not as interminably long and choked with traffic as I-40 is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: capt.ron on September 25, 2015, 12:42:31 PM

Tennessee: East of Jackson to the outskirts of Nashville is my favorite stretch. Memphis to Jackson is my least favorite stretch. I haven't driven I-40 east of Nashville so I won't say anything about that.

I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville is beautiful, by the way.  I highly recommend it if you get the chance to drive it.  It's a lovely mountainous stretch, and the curves are a lot of fun.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

empirestate

Quote from: DJDBVT on September 25, 2015, 07:12:35 AM
Least favorite:

I'm definitely on board with all of those (and I'd add I-91 inside CT as well). If nothing else, they're the stretches of Interstate I most often try to avoid.

I'm also not a fan of I-87 from NY 17 to the Tappan Zee.

iPhone

noelbotevera

Favorites:

I-85 between SC state line and Charlotte - It's mountainous, scenic, and quite historical (the battle of King's Mountain in the Revolutionary War).
I-40 through the Research Triangle

Least Favorites:
I-81 between MD state line and Harrisburg - trees, flatness, trees, flatness.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Zzonkmiles

Least Favorite
I-295 around Richmond

What's your beef with I-295? I personally think this road is a lot of fun to drive. It's got that huge bridge over the James River, enough lanes to manage the traffic, and a consistently high speed limit. I also like how the southern half of this road (south of the I-64 junction) is relatively sparsely traveled while the northern half is quite hectic. Gives the road character.

roadman65

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 26, 2015, 09:50:58 AM
Favorites:

I-85 between SC state line and Charlotte - It's mountainous, scenic, and quite historical (the battle of King's Mountain in the Revolutionary War).

Least Favorites:

Funny you should mention I-81, as nearby is the Pennsylvania Turnpike which is not as flat and has quite neat rolling hills, with farms and the best part of the turnpike to drive on.

In fact it is interesting that two roads that almost parallel each other have different topographies and totally different characters.

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

Quote from: roadman65 on September 26, 2015, 02:10:11 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on September 26, 2015, 09:50:58 AM
Favorites:

Least Favorites:

Funny you should mention I-81, as nearby is the Pennsylvania Turnpike which is not as flat and has quite neat rolling hills, with farms and the best part of the turnpike to drive on.

In fact it is interesting that two roads that almost parallel each other have different topographies and totally different characters.
It's similar to US 101 and I-280 in the Bay Area.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.