News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Signs With Interesting Facts

Started by Lightning Strike, November 19, 2011, 10:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning Strike

I recently embarked on a road trip to the UP of Michigan and I happen to come across an interesting sign denoting the 45th Parallel on US-131. Me being a geek, I took a picture of it, unfortunately I'm at work and will have to upload it later. I've also see on I-80 in Pennsylvania, only eastbound, I've never seen WB, a sign denoting the highest elevation east of the Mississippi River on I-80.

My question is are there more signs like these on the highway that you care to share or describe. They can be interesting, weird or unique; just curious since I've seen several in my travels. P.S. hope this hasn't been done before and I'm just making a redundant topic.

J N Winkler

I don't think it's a redundant topic.  45th Parallel signs are found in Idaho too; not sure about the other 45th Parallel states (Oregon, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

SteveG1988

On Burlington County Route 630 in pemberton is a sign that says the roads name is the Argonne Highway, i never actually stopped to read it but it is rather wordy and looks like it has a decent bit of info (passed it on a school bus every day i went to school)

Do you also count town entry signs that say "home of olympic gold medalist"
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

cu2010

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 19, 2011, 10:46:00 PM
I don't think it's a redundant topic.  45th Parallel signs are found in Idaho too; not sure about the other 45th Parallel states (Oregon, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).

New York has one along Barnhart Island Road inside of Robert Moses State Park.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

2Co5_14

I remember a sign while driving on I-5 in Oregon - I looked on Google for a picture of it and saw all these others...

https://www.google.com/search?q=45th+parallel+sign&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=soz&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=ZX7ITpeeHMS7tweFzrHcCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=611

tdindy88

I recall the 45th Parallel sign on I-75 in Northern Michigan. I also remember a monument designating the 45th Parallel (or close to it) along US 41 (I think) between Marrinette and Green Bay in Wisconsin.

Alex

Quote from: 2Co5_14 on November 19, 2011, 11:18:31 PM

I remember a sign while driving on I-5 in Oregon - I looked on Google for a picture of it and saw all these others...

https://www.google.com/search?q=45th+parallel+sign&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=soz&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=ZX7ITpeeHMS7tweFzrHcCA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=611

There is one on Interstate 5 north:

And another along Interstate 89 north:

hbelkins

My brother took a photo of the sign on I-75 in Michigan and I will have to find it sometime. Meanwhile there are these:

On I-72 in Illinois:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

luokou

Quote from: Alex on November 19, 2011, 11:36:51 PM
There is one on Interstate 5 north:

That's the one! It's the same sign on the reverse, posted just after the Keizer exit ramp heading northbound.

More interesting facts on I-5, a little further south:

The High Plains Traveler

QuoteI don't think it's a redundant topic.  45th Parallel signs are found in Idaho too; not sure about the other 45th Parallel states (Oregon, Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine).

I used to cross the 45th parallel twice a day commuting to and from work when I lived in the Twin Cities. There are no signs marking it there, nor elsewhere in Minnesota that I saw.

Continental Divide is pretty well marked in New Mexico, not so in Colorado. There are two Continental Divide signs on I-80 going across Wyoming, because the divide splits and there is a closed basin that the highway crosses. A surprising place to encounter a Continental Divide sign is North Dakota along I-94 - where you cross from the Hudson Bay (rivers that flow through Lake Winnipeg) to the Gulf of Mexico drainage basins.

I guess another set of trivia signs are found in California, where elevations at 1000 foot intervals - usually beginning at 2000 feet - are marked as you drive across the mountains. I think Arizona does this too to some extent. Colorado, where you would think this would be very interesting information especially as you go above 10,000 feet, does not mark elevations like that, and in fact will mark major mountain passes with only a single sign parallel to the road.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

shadyjay

Quote from: Alex on November 19, 2011, 11:36:51 PM

And another along Interstate 89 north:

Yup, one along I-91 North as well.  Never saw any on I-95 in Maine that I recall. 

Ian

Not sure if this counts, but signs like this might be interesting to the average motorist.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Lightning Strike

Quote from: SteveG1988 on November 19, 2011, 11:09:27 PM
Do you also count town entry signs that say "home of olympic gold medalist"

Well that is "interesting" ;D

Quote from: hbelkins on November 19, 2011, 11:38:27 PM
My brother took a photo of the sign on I-75 in Michigan and I will have to find it sometime. Meanwhile there are these:
On I-72 in Illinois:

Oh cool, I need to go see that one now, thanks

Quote from: PennDOTFan on November 20, 2011, 12:46:27 AM
Not sure if this counts, but signs like this might be interesting to the average motorist.

Haha awesome! The only other time I've seen a sign like that was a 295 split off on the north side of Richmond pointing 295SB to Miami, FL

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Duke87

There is a sign on US 34 in Colorado marking the spot where the road reaches elevation 10,560 - 2 miles above sea level.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

huskeroadgeek

There is a sign on I-70 W. of Topeka that notes it as the oldest stretch of interstate in the country. Also, in the realm of geographical notations on signs, the two points at which I-8 in California crosses Sea Level are marked.

The High Plains Traveler

QuoteThere is a sign on US 34 in Colorado marking the spot where the road reaches elevation 10,560 - 2 miles above sea level.

There are several highways in Colorado that exceed that elevation, but none of the others are so marked. The sign you reference was undoubtedly posted by the National Park Service, since that section of U.S. 34 is in Rocky Mountain National Park.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Duke87

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on November 20, 2011, 09:36:17 PM
QuoteThere is a sign on US 34 in Colorado marking the spot where the road reaches elevation 10,560 - 2 miles above sea level.

There are several highways in Colorado that exceed that elevation, but none of the others are so marked. The sign you reference was undoubtedly posted by the National Park Service, since that section of U.S. 34 is in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Yeah, it's an NPS sign.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

bulldog1979

Quote from: Lightning Strike on November 19, 2011, 10:01:55 PM
I recently embarked on a road trip to the UP of Michigan and I happen to come across an interesting sign denoting the 45th Parallel on US-131. Me being a geek, I took a picture of it, unfortunately I'm at work and will have to upload it later. I've also see on I-80 in Pennsylvania, only eastbound, I've never seen WB, a sign denoting the highest elevation east of the Mississippi River on I-80.

There are signs for this on M-22 on the Leelanau Peninsula, US 131, I-75 at Gaylord at least. I do believe they're located on any highway in Michigan that crosses the parallel.

thenetwork

Prior to the 1980's, the Ohio Turnpike once posted signs which indicated some sort of "water shed" -- the dividing point in which water either flows north to the Great Lakes and on into the Atlantic or south to the Ohio River and on into the Gulf of Mexico.

brad2971

South Dakota has signs on US12, US14, and US18 at the 100th Meridian, proclaiming the historical significance of said meridian.

PurdueBill

Quote from: thenetwork on November 20, 2011, 10:51:53 PM
Prior to the 1980's, the Ohio Turnpike once posted signs which indicated some sort of "water shed" -- the dividing point in which water either flows north to the Great Lakes and on into the Atlantic or south to the Ohio River and on into the Gulf of Mexico.

Those have returned recently not on the Turnpike now, but by ODOT on some roads.  I-71 in Medina County features a pair, and I-76/77 has a pair in Downtown Akron.  "Entering Ohio River watershed" one direction, "Entering Lake Erie watershed" in the other.  Will have to upload pics, which I have of the I-76/77 pair.

I recall a 45th Parallel sign in New Hampshire like 20 years ago on a family trip; it was not a highway sign but a historical marker type sign.

agentsteel53

I seem to recall a sign for the 45th parallel on I-5 in Oregon.

in Illinois, on I-80, there is a sign for a test section of interstate built in the 1950s.  I do not recall the details, apart from the fact that I think it is not too far east of I-39.  the test section is still there as well - it was built to see how the road would fare under particular weighted loads.

if one does not know what it is, the signs saying "Green River Ordinance Enforced" might be considered interesting.  (said law prohibits door-to-door solicitation.)

on I-90 in western Mass, there is an elevation sign stating that that point is the highest on I-90 until South Dakota.  it's 1700something feet. 

Oregon has signs pointing out various mountains which may be seen from highways.

there are plenty of historic markers all over the world which may be stopped for and read - far too many examples to note.  the signs I mentioned above are all intended to be read at travel speed.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.