News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 85 Alabama

Started by Chris, January 28, 2009, 05:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I've read something about the extension of I-85 via US 80 to the I-20 near Cuba. Are those just ideas, or real policy? The US 80 is already a nicely build road with mostly 4 lanes and relatively low traffic volumes.

Alex

There's no money for it, but yes, they want to build that road. As Froggie has said, there is no need for it, and current U.S. 80 (which is mostly four-laned), carries very light traffic as it is.

FLRoads

And even if they were to construct it, it should be an even numbered route, NOT an extension of I-85!!!  I-14 or I-18 come to mind.

Sykotyk

Quote from: AARoads on January 28, 2009, 12:09:39 PM
There's no money for it, but yes, they want to build that road. As Froggie has said, there is no need for it, and current U.S. 80 (which is mostly four-laned), carries very light traffic as it is.

True. No need for an interstate here. But they are working on the right-of-way near I-20/I-59. A couple of bypasses around some of the towns (including a much needed better bypass of Selma) would make it a decent expressway.

Sykotyk

leifvanderwall

To be brutally honest, I think I-85 ought to be extended to Panama City , FL and the old 85 to Montgomery and proposed extension could be an I-18. I must agree US 80 from Cuba to Montgomery works for me.

bdmoss88

Don't know if it's okay to open up an old thread but this seems to be where this fits. It looks like there may be some actual work on the Montgomery Outer Loop coming up soon. The section from I-85 to Vaughn Rd. should be fairly easy since it is mostly built except for the interchanges. At the rate things get built in Alabama, if this makes it to US-231 in my lifetime, though, I would be very surprised.
Interesting that when/if the loop connects I-85 to I-65 that it will become I-85 and the current section will become I-685. I wonder what the loop will be signed as until then? Odd numbered I-X85?
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20110301/COMMUNITIES010302/103010307/Outer-Loop-work-start-again?odyssey=obinsite

froggie

QuoteInteresting that when/if the loop connects I-85 to I-65 that it will become I-85 and the current section will become I-685. I wonder what the loop will be signed as until then? Odd numbered I-X85?

ALDOT has assigned AL 108 as the planning route number for the Outer Loop.  So it's likely that any completed segments would be signed as that route number.

Buummu

I also think that Interstate 85 should be extended to Panama City, FL as well... but I do support any extension... because I-85 is turning into a major interstate route.. I still believe Interstate 85 should just end in Richmond (the Interchange between I-95 and I-295) and the I-95 can take the Bypass route....

Henry

Quote from: flaroads on January 28, 2009, 11:27:02 PM
And even if they were to construct it, it should be an even numbered route, NOT an extension of I-85!!!  I-14 or I-18 come to mind.

You forgot about I-16! The section from Savannah to Macon is already there. All they need to do is take it across the rest of Georgia and tie into current I-85 near Columbus/Phenix City. However, I see no need to upgrade US 80 now, as it's fine as is for Montgomery-Meridian traffic.

Quote from: Buummu on April 24, 2011, 10:15:06 PM
I also think that Interstate 85 should be extended to Panama City, FL as well... but I do support any extension... because I-85 is turning into a major interstate route.. I still believe Interstate 85 should just end in Richmond (the Interchange between I-95 and I-295) and the I-95 can take the Bypass route....

Tallahassee, or even Tampa/St. Petersburg, would work better as a new southern terminus for I-85. Remember, though, that any and all suggestions like those should be addressed in the Fictional Highways section.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Buummu

Yeah I agree... but I-85 extension to I-20 near Cuba works just good... I would like to see I-85 become even more major route....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.