Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay8g

At the top of the new temporary ramp from SR 520 to 24th Ave (here, unfortunately completely inaccessible to me for photography) there is now a directional sign to Lake Washington Blvd... in a green diamond. Where did that sign blank even come from? This adds to the (now removed, I think) white overhead Montlake Blvd exit sign that I'm pretty sure was mentioned previously, making me sure the contractor is incompetent at making temporary signage...

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on January 07, 2016, 02:09:50 AM
This adds to the (now removed, I think) white overhead Montlake Blvd exit sign that I'm pretty sure was mentioned previously, making me sure the contractor is incompetent at making temporary signage...

At least it was on a Vancouver (WA)-style monotube...

Also, RIP RH Thomson Ramps-to-Nowhere.

jakeroot

Quote from: jay8g on January 07, 2016, 02:09:50 AM
At the top of the new temporary ramp from SR 520 to 24th Ave (here, unfortunately completely inaccessible to me for photography) there is now a directional sign to Lake Washington Blvd... in a green diamond. Where did that sign blank even come from?

Saw the sign on the news this morning...

Bruce

Also spotted on Seattle news this morning...a green HOV/express lane sign on I-90:

Normally, they'd be white when it's a combined sign (in which HOV takes precedence):

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.589983,-122.3081812,3a,75y,62.07h,99.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfRoJc1zoRiPAdNXXDP12tg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on January 09, 2016, 03:34:15 PM
Also spotted on Seattle news this morning...a green HOV/express lane sign on I-90:

Normally, they'd be white when it's a combined sign (in which HOV takes precedence):

I remember seeing those a while back when Steve (Alps), Kacie, and I were driving around. Reminds me a bit of California. More to the point, however, those would have been installed in the early 90s. I believe they would have been the first HOV lanes in the area. Perhaps they date from before the black-on-white HOV era?

freebrickproductions

The city of Huntsville, AL installed these signs on Whitesburg Drive last year after the intersection of Whitesburg Drive and Martin Road was reconfigured to help the flow of traffic with the new Whitesburg School building:
BWSes? by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Kacie Jane

Quote from: jakeroot on January 09, 2016, 04:37:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on January 09, 2016, 03:34:15 PM

I remember seeing those a while back when Steve (Alps), Kacie, and I were driving around. Reminds me a bit of California. More to the point, however, those would have been installed in the early 90s. I believe they would have been the first HOV lanes in the area. Perhaps they date from before the black-on-white HOV era?

I'm not certain, but I doubt it. I don't think these are the original version. (Though I confess I can't remember whether the prior ones were white or green.)

It's worth pointing out that I think the MUTCD actually recommends green over white when it's a guide sign as opposed to purely a restriction.  That doesn't explain why WSDOT continues to use exclusively white on I-5, but does explain why some of the HOT lane signs on 405 are green, and may explain this one.

ETA:  I'm guessing this is the sign in question, but I'm pretty sure that's not the only green HOV sign on I-90.  If you play with the time slider or whatever it's called, it was installed sometime between 2008 and 2011, presumably at the same time as the variable speed limits.  Prior to then, there was a mostly white sign for the express lanes attached to the overpass in the background.

(Also of minor interest, sometime between 2011 and 2015, the "CLOSED" panel was changed from black on yellow to white on red.)

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

thenetwork

Quote from: Zeffy on January 12, 2016, 06:23:55 PM
Literally interesting.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6970332,-105.2230664,3a,15y,154.24h,91.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQ--7vepHzJUpvsQ8NjGmIw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I'm not sure what specific point they are speaking of, but there are potentially several to choose from at/near that exit, including Red Rocks Ampitheater.  The sign should say POINTS and not POINT.   :D

1995hoo

"Joggers in Roadway," ramp from SB GW Parkway in Virginia to Memorial Drive. I've never seen a jogger around there and I've always wondered why joggers but not pedestrians.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Michael

I found this interesting take on the standard NO TURN ON RED [circle] sign while looking at the Long Island Motor Parkway and surrounding area in Street View earlier today.

roadfro

Quote from: Michael on January 15, 2016, 11:04:28 PM
I found this interesting take on the standard NO TURN ON RED [circle] sign while looking at the Long Island Motor Parkway and surrounding area in Street View earlier today.

Not much different than a standard MUTCD sign, which doesn't include the word "right" and arranges the word layout slightly differently. MUTCD has versions with and without symbolic red.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

D-Dey65

Still MUTCD complaint, even if they're not that common on Long Island.

There ought to be a purely symbolic version of the No Right Turn on Red Sign. Just use a standard No Right Turn logo, and add a traffic signal logo next to it, with only the red light showing.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 21, 2016, 10:59:32 AM

There ought to be a purely symbolic version of the No Right Turn on Red Sign. Just use a standard No Right Turn logo, and add a traffic signal logo next to it, with only the red light showing.

Ontario has one that is just that. Quite easy to understand.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on January 21, 2016, 03:56:20 PM

The Canadian variation has crossed the border. This one is in Seattle...

D-Dey65

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2016, 07:39:07 PM

I was thinking the "No Right Turn on Red" logo would be bigger, and the traffic signal would be on the right side of the logo, but this is good enough.

jakeroot

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 21, 2016, 09:37:53 PM
I was thinking the "No Right Turn on Red" logo would be bigger, and the traffic signal would be on the right side of the logo, but this is good enough.

I would guess that, since most "no turn on red" signs are mast-mounted, taller, narrower signs are preferred. A variation with the two symbols in the same row could/should exist for overhead installations.

EDIT: to make it abundantly clear, Canada only uses the symbolic version...

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2016, 07:39:07 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 21, 2016, 03:56:20 PM
I found (link)

(link)

Pretty sure the Ontario version is standard across Canada:

Standard Canadian 'No Right Turn on Red' Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 21, 2016, 09:49:11 PM
Pretty sure the Ontario version is standard across Canada

I believe the sign itself is a TAC standard (if there is such a thing). I cannot recall seeing a "no turn on red" sign with text before.

SignGeek101

Quote from: jakeroot on January 21, 2016, 09:54:15 PM

I believe the sign itself is a TAC standard (if there is such a thing). I cannot recall seeing a "no turn on red" sign with text before.

Old Winnipeg Street Blade Design
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

:bigass:

This one isn't standard though. The university put it up.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on January 21, 2016, 10:06:03 PM
:bigass:

This one isn't standard though. The university put it up.

Allow me to retort...new "no turn on red" sign. :-D

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 15, 2015, 11:21:36 AM
Quote from: roadfro on December 01, 2015, 12:42:06 AMOften, regulatory signs are made by making a blank rectangle of white reflective sheeting, then applying the non-reflective black elements on top of that. (That is why you sometimes see the black peeling off of some signs in hotter climates.) There is a thickness to the black film that could cause what is seen on this photo.

I think Oklahoma DOT uses black process ink rather than film for small single-sheet non-designable signs.  My own theory is differential heating from ambient lighting.

This is old, but I believe the sign in question was made by the city of Piedmont, not Oklahoma DOT (which does in fact use process inks).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I'm pretty sure I have on entering the Island of Montreal. There's a symbolic sign with French text indicating it's an area-wide restriction. What I cannot recall off the top of my head is whether any such signs were posted at traffic lights or whether it was something places differently. I just haven't been there in a while to be able to remember. I'll try to find a Street View later today and will edit this then to add a link unless someone else has already rendered the issue moot.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 22, 2016, 07:44:47 AM

I'm pretty sure I have on entering the Island of Montreal. There's a symbolic sign with French text indicating it's an area-wide restriction. What I cannot recall off the top of my head is whether any such signs were posted at traffic lights or whether it was something places differently. I just haven't been there in a while to be able to remember. I'll try to find a Street View later today and will edit this then to add a link unless someone else has already rendered the issue moot.

Within central Montreal, I believe there are some "reminder" signs, but they are the normal symbolic signs used across the rest of Canada.

The sign, upon entering the island, is a horizontal version of the normal "no turn on red" sign with the French "Ile de Montreal" text.

freebrickproductions

This BGS along AL 24 in Russellville could use a bit of work, IMO:
US 43 by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Spotted these in Gu-Win, AL:
Children At Play by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
No Littering by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.