AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Delaware  (Read 695158 times)

Alex

• Webmaster

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 02:36:56 PM
    • AARoads
Death of Delaware 82
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:31 AM »

http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/misc_virtual_workshops/State_Route_82_Public_Notice.pdf

As part of the Red Clay Valley Scenic Byway, DelDOT is proposing the removal of Delaware 82 as a state route "as a means to conserve and enhance the Valley's cultural, scenic, historic, and natural resources."

So you'll have DE 100 ending as a non SR in PA and DE 82 ending as a non SR in DE.  :pan:

Why not come up with brown scenic DE-82 shields to continue the connectivity with Pennsylvania 82?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:05:28 AM by AARoads »

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Death of Delaware 82
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »

Leave your comments at http://deldot.gov/information/projects/misc_virtual_workshops/rt82/index.shtml

My comments:

Why not instead of removing the State Route 82 designation, incorporating a new "Scenic State Route" designation instead. The state of Idaho does this along U.S. and State Routes that double as scenic routes. Rather than using the standard black and white signs, the state places brown and white versions of the same shields. This conveys to drivers that they are on a scenic byway.

The connectivity to Pennsylvania's SR 82 will be lost with the removal of SR 82 signage in the state of Delaware. The path that one would take utilizing local road names is not certain enough for one to follow without the aid of a GPS or similar device. These roads certainly should not be driven with such distractions, as the roads are fairly narrow and many turns are involved. Maintaining state route signage eliminates this prospect.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Where did DelDOT get their info on PA 82?
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »

From the workshop website transcript:

14.Corridor Management Plan
ONE OF THE REQUIREMENTS OF A SCENIC BYWAY DESIGNATION IS THE DEVELOPMENT OF A CORRIDOR MANAGEMENT PLAN THAT IDENTIFIES STRATEGIES DESIGNED TO PRESERVE THE UNIQUE AND IRREPLACEABLE ATTRIBUTES OF THE BYWAY. 
THE RED CLAY VALLEY SCENIC BYWAY ALLIANCE, COMPRISED OF REPRESENTATIVES FROM NON-PROFIT AGENCIES, PRESERVATION GROUPS, GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, STAKEHOLDERS, RESIDENTS OF THE AREA AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC, COMPLETED SUCH A CORRIDOR MANAGEMENT PLAN IN 2008.
ONE OF THE SPECIFIC RECOMMENDATIONS OF THAT PLAN WAS TO EXPLORE THE DELISTING OF STATE ROUTE 82 AS A STATE ROUTE, IN ORDER TO HELP PROTECT ITS INTRINSIC QUALITIES.
REMOVING THE STATE ROUTE DESIGNATION IS A STRATEGY THAT HAS BEEN USED IN OTHER COMMUNITIES IN AN EFFORT TO PRESERVE RESOURCES FOUND ALONG THEIR ROADWAY.
FOR EXAMPLE, IN 1998, APPROXIMATELY FIVE-AND-A-HALF MILES OF STATE ROUTE 82 LOCATED IN UNIONVILLE, PENNSYLVANIA WAS DELISTED BY THAT STATE IN ORDER TO PRESERVE THE HISTORIC, VILLAGE CHARACTER OF THAT COMMUNITY.

Which portion of PA-82 was turned back? Unionville is in East Marlborough Township, which is just north of Kennett Square and the Oxford Bypass of U.S. 1.

Looking at GSV, I see signage for PA 82 consistently through the split of PA 842 west from PA 82 north. However shields for PA 82 north are only posted on PA 842 east, and not on Doe Run Road at that intersection. Signs for PA 82 appear on PA 841 north as well, with a southbound shield posted after that intersection. No reference for PA 82 north is posted on PA 82 north at PA 841 though.

If 5.5 miles were decertified in 1998, why has it taken so long to take down associated signage?

Ian

• Last Login: May 17, 2023, 12:18:33 PM
    • My Flickr
Re: Delaware
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »

When exactly will DE 82 be taken down? I will try my best at getting down there and getting shots of any DE 82 shields.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Death of Delaware 82
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »

When exactly will DE 82 be taken down? I will try my best at getting down there and getting shots of any DE 82 shields.

The workshop presentation indicated by late spring if the removal is approved.

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:34 AM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »

Pennsylvania 82 did suffer a rather long truncation in 2008 after the plans to revive bridges destroy in Hurricane Agnes (1972) were finally canned from the north. I think at that point they should just truncate 82 back to US 1 if DE 82 is canned
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

• My Flickr
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:14 PM »

I think at that point they should just truncate 82 back to US 1 if DE 82 is canned

I agree on that.

Today, I was able to get shots of DE 82. Here they are...
http://picasaweb.google.com/Iansignal/DelawareStateRoute82#
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

• Enby and Proud

• Warren CR 14 - Warrensburg, NY

• Last Login: Today at 12:04:34 AM
    • My Flickr Photostream
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2010, 08:47:20 PM »

Heh, maybe DelDOT will supply us with more NJ 82 shields for Morris Avenue, if NJ thought of extending it into the city of Elizabeth further
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Ian

• My Flickr
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2010, 11:10:47 PM »

Heh, maybe DelDOT will supply us with more NJ 82 shields for Morris Avenue, if NJ thought of extending it into the city of Elizabeth further

They could. Though, most of the DE 82 shields have the DelDOT stickers on the back, so they would have to peel all of them off or something like that to do so.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:25 AM »

This is tending toward Fictional Highways, but not in a million years.  82 NEVER went straight.  24-S turned right on what is now 439 (which I'm sure you know).  NJDOT is not about to take over another highway just for a number - quite the opposite, it's enjoyed dropping highways in city limits (see 124).

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Construction of high-speed EZ Pass lanes for I-95 (Delaware)
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »

Construction of I-95 high-speed E-ZPass lanes to begin next month

Construction of new high-speed E-ZPass lanes at the I-95 Newark toll plaza will begin in mid-April, the Delaware Department of Transportation announced.

The $32 million project will extend from the Del. 896 interchange to the Otts Chapel Road bridge area. It is being funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

A-Del Construction Co. of Newark was awarded the contract for the work, which will include conversion of the main plaza structure as well as the southbound satellite plaza, DelDOT said.

As many as 125,000 vehicles pass through the toll plaza at peak times during holidays and weekends, causing major backups. DelDOT said construction of the new E-ZPass lanes will allow motorists to maintain highway speed through the area. Similar lanes have been in use at two toll plazas on Del. 1 for several years.

The project is expected to be completed in about 16 months.

Details on the project can be found at http://www.deldot.gov/information/projects/recovery/pages/tollplaza/index.shtml">www.deldot.gov.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:30:17 PM by AlpsROADS »

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
10 more red-light cameras coming to Del.
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:16 PM »

10 more red-light cameras coming to Del.]10 more red-light cameras coming to Del.

Ten more red-light cameras are coming to intersections across Delaware.

The cameras will be installed in all three counties by early summer, the Delaware Department of Transportation announced today, bringing the total number across the state to 30.There will be seven new locations in New Castle County, one in Kent County and two in Sussex County.

The cameras make video recordings of vehicles going through a red light and the registered owner is sent a violation notice requiring payment of a $112.50 fine. The citation is considered a civil offense and does not affect a motorist’s insurance rates or add points to their driving record.

The new locations:
New Castle County

Old Baltimore Pike at Salem Church Road/Salem Woods Drive

Kirkwood Highway at Harmony Road

Kirkwood Highway at Red Mill Road/Polly Drummond Hill Road

Churchmans Road at Del. 1 northbound ramps

Naamans Road at Shipley Road/Brandywine Parkway

Del. 273 at Harmony Road/Gerald Drive

Del. 273 at Del. 7
Kent County

U.S. 13 at Scarborough Road
Sussex County

Del. 1 at Munchy Branch Road/Miller Road

Del. 1 at Old Landing Road

The two Sussex locations will be installed first.

In the first 30 days of operation, motorists will be issued a warning with no fine. “Red light camera enforcement”  signs also will be placed at each location.

"We know this program is saving lives and reducing the number of angle crashes, which are more likely to result in serious injury or death," said Transportation Secretary Carolann Wicks.

DelDOT reports that the 20 cameras already installed generate $5.2 million annually, with 41,000
violations issued. DelDOT expects an additional $2.5 million from the new locations.
are fully operational.

Video footage can be viewed and fines paid at http://www.deldot.gov/information/red_light/.

Truvelo

• Speed limits limit life

• Last Login: December 08, 2023, 03:39:16 PM
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »

If citations don't result in any punishment to your license then surely if you don't mind paying $112.50 each time you can just blow through red lights all the time?

As for the lights themselves - will the ones with cameras have short yellows :ded:
Speed limits limit life

Ian

• My Flickr
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »

DelDOT has really gotten into the red light camera act. Most new and major intersections accross the state now are equipped with them.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:41 PM »

DelDOT has really gotten into the red light camera act. Most new and major intersections accross the state now are equipped with them.

Remind me to find a way to obscure my license plate before my trip into Delaware next month.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »

Remind me to find a way to obscure my license plate before my trip into Delaware next month.

Remind me to tell you that doing so is both illegal and of poor character...

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 11:36:38 PM »

illegal, sure.  but I'd much rather have his character, than that of the legislature who voted in favor of the cameras.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54:16 PM »

Well, I just don't trust short yellows and getting caught in that nether world of "do I speed up and hope I beat it" or "do I slam on the brakes and risk getting rear-ended?" in areas with signal cams.

There are probably ways to legally make a license plate hard to read by those traffic cams.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »

seems to me they made the yellow portion of the cycle extra short just for revenue purposes...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2010, 06:43:36 AM »

Some places got a bad reputation for that, but not eveywhere.  For the record, the red light cameras I'm familiar with in this area do not have short yellows.  All have the minimum 3 seconds.

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »

Some places got a bad reputation for that, but not eveywhere.  For the record, the red light cameras I'm familiar with in this area do not have short yellows.  All have the minimum 3 seconds.
Rule of thumb is 1 second per 10 mph.  Are all your signals on 25-30 mph roads?

froggie

• Froggie's Place
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 06:26:09 AM »

Pretty much.  There are a few cameras on roads that are 35 MPH, but IIRC, the Green Book still recommends a 3 second yellow phase for 35 MPH roads.

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »

Red-light cameras help keep an eye on safety

10 new devices have green light

...The intersection (DE 2/Harmony Road) is one of 10 statewide that will get new red-light cameras in the next few months, bringing the statewide total to 57 and, officials say, making some of the state’s most dangerous intersections a little safer

Of the roughly $5 million the cameras generated in fines last year, about $2.4 million went to the companies that operate them.

Delaware leases the cameras from American Traffic Solutions Inc. of Arizona for about $4,000 each a month, which includes maintenance, support and operation. The company covers the $1,500 to $2,000 cost of installation, while DelDOT pays to prepare the site.

This article almost reads as an advertisement for American Traffic Solutions Inc. of Arizona...

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »

^^^

Fines are $112.50 in Delaware. The fine increases $10 for every month it is late, up to three months.

In other states, it's a criminal offense and carries a heftier fine. Cameras in those states must capture an image of the driver's face so they can be linked to the crime.

Most states require the fine money to be spent on public safety efforts or medical trauma centers.

I by no means have heard about how these cameras are set up everywhere, but I have yet to hear of one where being captured by the camera is a criminal offense.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

• Webmaster

• AARoads
Del. 1 access at north end of Frederica closing for months
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »

Del. 1 access at north end of Frederica closing for months

Access from Del. 1 to Frederica Road at the north end of Frederica will be closed starting today to allow for construction of a new overpass.

The Delaware Department of Transportation says traffic will be detoured to the Del. 1/Frederica Road intersection south of Frederica.

The north intersection will remain closed until late this year or early 2011, DelDOT says.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.