News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Quote from: I-55 on May 14, 2024, 12:24:24 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2024, 06:19:53 AMOf course any interstate will bring sprawl, what won't I-69 be different? Indy is a big city with a large metro area. Of course developers will take advantage of the I-69 corridor now it's being extended to build more mixed use developments.

Look at Muncie to the Northeast. I-69 fueled that city's growth providing a direct link to Indy and its closest suburbs. The Southwest side ain't any different.

As a more recent example, Fishers has grown by 1,000% since 1990 from less than 10,000 to around 100,000. Noblesville is up 400% in the same timespan, both fueled by access to Interstate 69. Anderson and Muncie have been in slow-steady decline, though I think Anderson will recover when Indy sprawl covers all the land between SR 37 and Anderson.

Shelbyville has been on 74 for what, 50 years(?), and has never experienced a population explosion. If I-69 was fueling growth in Fishers, why didn't Fishers explode in 1971 when the highway was built?

No doubt, Fishers and Noblesville benefit from I-69 but their growth has a lot more to do with being adjacent to the more populated and affluent part of Marion County.
Mid-South / Re: I-10 expansion between San...
Last post by webny99 - Today at 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: longhorn on Today at 10:02:44 AMWhy the change of right of way?

In addition to what Bobby5280 mentioned, the original bridges don't look wide enough to reconstruct in phases that would allow four lanes to remain open throughout the project, so it may have made more sense logistically to use a totally new alignment. The current alignment also has a pair of curves that could be more or less eliminated by shifting the bridge slightly south.
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 10:44:12 AM
The new 8-lane bridge over the Colorado River will need bigger, heavier duty piers and foundations. That kind of thing can't just be patched into the existing ROW over/near the existing piers. The new bridge would have a much wider footprint. Replacing bridges in place might put new spans too close to existing piers. There has to be enough separation for the soil and bedrock to remain stable.
Last post by longhorn - Today at 10:02:44 AM
Why the change of right of way?
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by formulanone - Today at 09:44:15 AM
I-189 > CT 189 in Granby:

Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 09:32:33 AM
I-10 → I-89 or I-189

I get some thrill when I reach a terminus of a long-distance route so I can get photos of the END or BEGIN signs.  It was a big deal to me to get a photo of the END sign at the southern terminus of I-39 in Bloomington, and even bigger to get photos at the termini of US-70 in Atlantic NC and US-6 in Provincetown MA.  Driving the route to reach a terminus doesn't in itself usually mean that much to me, except the opportunity to get photos of another route's shields and signs for my collection.
Sports / Re: Hockey
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 08:42:39 AM
I was in person for the PWHL semifinals game 3. Boston was playing at home (i.e. in Lowell) against Montréal. Boston was down 2-0 at the start of the third period, but people celebrated a goal four times:

1. During a delayed penalty, but the puck never made it into the goal line and it was disallowed. We did get a power play after that but didn't score.
2. Regular goal. 2-1.
3. Short-handed goal, killing the penalty via the experimental "jailbreak" rule which might be adopted for international play soon. 2-2.
4. Slightly under two minutes into overtime, another goal, winning the game 3-2.

Boston has won the semifinals 3 games to 0 (it's a best of 5), on overtime in all three games. They now face either Toronto or Minnesota in the finals, as the other half of the semifinals doesn't have a winner yet.

Someone suggested that if the Bruins lose the series, the home game finals could be played in TD Garden where the turnout would be much higher than in Lowell. That's obviously not a reason for the Bruins to lose, though. Toronto already switched stadiums for the playoffs because their normal stadium has a capacity of slightly under 3,000. (For comparison, the Tsongas Center in Lowell seats 6,000, but its only full stadium was the final regular-season game, and three of the six teams have stadiums that are large enough and enough people come that actual attendance exceeds 6,000.)

I got a second-from-front row seat just behind the goal where the opposing goalie is in the first and third periods. The cost for my game was $36.50 after fees, plus a $25 Uber ($3 of that was a tip). Parking would have been $15 if I could drive there. (I took the bus there, so I only needed an Uber one way.)
Illinois's new transponder stickers are quite sensitive. I had a new one, still in the envelope in a stack of mail, get charged 55 cents at Plaza 45 on Interstate 80.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Kentucky
Last post by madbengalsfan85 - Today at 08:10:48 AM
Looks like KYDOT is starting the next phase of widening 64/75, jersey barriers installed from Paris Pike to 111

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.