News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sports season changes

Started by Poiponen13, August 23, 2023, 12:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 15, 2023, 11:59:55 AM

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 11:29:41 AM
Replays should be abolished–at least for proper rounds.  However, FA Trophy replays should be brought back.

Falkland Islands and Pitcairn should enter the FA Cup.  France lets overseas clubs to enter, yet England doesn't. England should also let them do so.

And, lastly, FA Cup quarter-finals could have a Friday game.

Have you collected this from nonleaguematters.co.uk forum, where I am in same username as here?

I really like these ideas, and I think they should happen.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

All soccer fields should have yard lines painted on them in the way football fields are painted. It would help the commentators in referring to locations on the field and it would help with judging offside calls.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2023, 01:32:01 PM
All soccer fields should have yard lines painted on them in the way football fields are painted. It would help the commentators in referring to locations on the field and it would help with judging offside calls.

I don't know about offside. But it sure helps determine 10-yard distance from a restart that the opponents can stand. For the refs that is. The players still don't appreciate how far 10 yards is. Even when you point out that the ball is on the 30 yard line, so you have to be at the 20 or farther back.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: GaryV on September 15, 2023, 04:15:15 PM

I don't know about offside. But it sure helps determine 10-yard distance from a restart that the opponents can stand. For the refs that is. The players still don't appreciate how far 10 yards is. Even when you point out that the ball is on the 30 yard line, so you have to be at the 20 or farther back.

You're measuring 10 yards in a straight line distance to the goal, so the 10 yard lines would actually need to be arcs.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Poiponen13

In Canada, local soccer would generally start on the second week of April (in some smaller and more northern leagues, it would be few weeks later, in early to mid-May), run until late June, when every league would take a break until late July, and then play until first week of October (in some smaller and more northern leagues, it would be couple of weeks earlier, in mid to late September). The divisions would have 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 teams.

thspfc

From a player's perspective the yard lines don't make much difference (and I'm sure many find them annoying), but I've played on a lot of fields with painted football end zones and midfield logos. I actually like them because they help you orient yourself and know exactly where you are without needing to look up.

The other situation where yard lines are helpful is positioning walls on free kicks, though most teams still intentionally delay things anyway by standing too close since there's no consequence for it unless it's egregious.

Bruce

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 24, 2023, 07:22:51 AM
In Canada, local soccer would generally start on the second week of April (in some smaller and more northern leagues, it would be few weeks later, in early to mid-May), run until late June, when every league would take a break until late July, and then play until first week of October (in some smaller and more northern leagues, it would be couple of weeks earlier, in mid to late September). The divisions would have 8, 10, 12, 14 or 16 teams.

The break needs a purpose, otherwise it's useless. Summer is usually the best moneymaker for soccer in the US and the same probably holds true for Canada. MLS has a break for Leagues Cup, but what would CPL have?

Poiponen13

Quote from: Bruce on September 24, 2023, 02:40:03 PM

The break needs a purpose, otherwise it's useless. Summer is usually the best moneymaker for soccer in the US and the same probably holds true for Canada. MLS has a break for Leagues Cup, but what would CPL have?
In Sweden and Norway, most leagues take a break from late June to early August every year. Other countries playing in summer (like Japan, South Korea, Finland, Belarus, Latvia and Estonia) do not generally take such a break, but some leagues there take. And leagues in Japan, South Korea, Sweden and other countries playing in calendar year (which may actually be winter in Southern Hem.), take a break for World Cup, and Sweden (and Norway sometimes too) also for European Championship and South American leagues for Copa America. for example, in 2018 World Cup, the breaks were as follows:
Japan May 19-July 18
S. Korea May 19-July 7
China May 19-July 18
Sweden May 26-July 7
Brazil June 13-July 18
Peru June 9-July 21
Uruguay June 9-July 21

The MLS and CPL should take total "moratorium" for international breaks and take a break for World Cup and Gold Cup.

kphoger

The break needs a purpose, otherwise it's useless.

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 25, 2023, 07:24:08 AM
Other countries do blah blah blah blah blah.  And no, I'm not going to give an actual purpose to the break.  That is to say, I'm not going to actually answer the post I'm quoting.

FTFY
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 11:21:39 AM
The break needs a purpose, otherwise it's useless.

Other countries do blah blah blah blah blah.  And no, I'm not going to give an actual purpose to the break.  That is to say, I'm not going to actually answer the post I'm quoting.

FTFY
The purpose probably is:

The players in these leagues are semi-professional or amateur. They need a summer vacation as they have other primary jobs.

hotdogPi

If you get paid an average wage (enough to comfortably live on but not what you hear about on the sports networks with millions-of-dollars deals) as a low-level sports player and an average wage as something else, it shouldn't matter when the break is. Since the offseason already exists, why not use that?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on September 25, 2023, 12:26:27 PM
If you get paid an average wage (enough to comfortably live on but not what you hear about on the sports networks with millions-of-dollars deals) as a low-level sports player and an average wage as something else, it shouldn't matter when the break is. Since the offseason already exists, why not use that?
The leagues in Sweden and Norway, what I have used as model for the my fantasy lower Canadian leagues, just don't play in midsummer. Youth soccer leagues in every country playing in summer always take break for July.

Bruce

The MLS and CPL should take total "moratorium" for international breaks and take a break for World Cup and Gold Cup.

MLS already has international breaks as mandated by FIFA. We don't need a full summer break with no action because that's when the league is at its most well-attended with little competition (really only baseball) and better weather for many markets. In a country where soccer is not the number one sport, scheduling strategically is really important.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.