Regional Boards > Mountain West

Arizona

<< < (47/47)

kernals12:

--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 10:25:43 AM ---The northbound lanes of AZ 87 in Rincon Pass is the original highway and surprisingly steep.  Rincon Pass doesn’t have a ton of room to build which is why the southbound lanes crossover. The Beeline Highway in general is criminally underrated as an engineering feat and scenic highway.  I used to drive it several times a week on my way to Payson and Show Low.

--- End quote ---

That's the exact same story with I-5 north of Castaic.

Max Rockatansky:
Correct, there is still some evidence of how the lane transition into Golden State Highway (AKA Ridge Route Alternate) approaching Piru Gorge north of the crossover transition.   

Plutonic Panda:
Very happy to see this. Arizona is planning a big increase in truck parking. Not sure about I-10 but traveling I-40 quite frequently I see truck parking always packed. Good to see more added.

https://ktar.com/story/5552021/transportation-officials-to-expand-commercial-truck-parking-along-arizona-interstates/

JKRhodes:

--- Quote from: kernals12 on November 15, 2023, 10:30:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2023, 10:25:43 AM ---The northbound lanes of AZ 87 in Rincon Pass is the original highway and surprisingly steep.  Rincon Pass doesn’t have a ton of room to build which is why the southbound lanes crossover. The Beeline Highway in general is criminally underrated as an engineering feat and scenic highway.  I used to drive it several times a week on my way to Payson and Show Low.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

To my understanding, the original four lanes of I-5 used to run along the northbound alignment.

California, having the explosive growth that it does, had to add more lanes.

Rather than tear down a bunch of businesses, they built a second carriageway for southbound traffic, and subsequently removed the median in the original freeway.

kernals12:

--- Quote from: JKRhodes on December 09, 2023, 08:36:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: kernals12 on November 15, 2023, 10:30:02 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

To my understanding, the original four lanes of I-5 used to run along the northbound alignment.

California, having the explosive growth that it does, had to add more lanes.

Rather than tear down a bunch of businesses, they built a second carriageway for southbound traffic, and subsequently removed the median in the original freeway.

--- End quote ---

That doesn't explain why they put the southbound carriageway on the opposite of the usual side of the northbound: If they had put the northbound carriageway there, it would've created a dangerously steep incline. By putting the Southbound there instead, that incline becomes a decline and the problem is solved.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version