News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 11, 2021, 07:02:56 PM
i read somewhere that loyalty card programs, they just give you the 'normal' price - the non-card price is artificially inflated.

I don't know how else they could stay in business. Those loyalty programs are hardly more than providing your phone number. How exactly does that qualify me to start saving money left and right?

I was at Fred Meyer (Kroger) a couple days ago, and they had all their vitamins buy-one-get-one-free with card. Aka, plug in your loyalty number and you get half off. Of course, the standard price on each bottle was exactly twice the cost on Amazon...

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on March 11, 2021, 07:17:10 PM
i read somewhere that loyalty card programs, they just give you the 'normal' price - the non-card price is artificially inflated.

I don't know how else they could stay in business. Those loyalty programs are hardly more than providing your phone number. How exactly does that qualify me to start saving money left and right?

I was at Fred Meyer (Kroger) a couple days ago, and they had all their vitamins buy-one-get-one-free with card. Aka, plug in your loyalty number and you get half off. Of course, the standard price on each bottle was exactly twice the cost on Amazon...

At Stop & Shop, the cashiers will always provide it automatically if the customer doesn't have one, so the only time it's not on sale is if they go through self checkout without scanning their card or clicking "Forgot card" (which adds one automatically). All sales are officially with card only except for clearance items.

In January 2020, the self scans added a new rule (unstated) that you couldn't have more than a percentage off via sales unless overridden by the employee managing self scan.. The problem... this particular store was closing, many items were 50% off because of this, and the threshold was under 50%.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

texaskdog

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2021, 04:38:00 PM
When DOTs remove/realign a US route onto an Interstate but keep significant parts of the road on the state highway system with a different number anyway (NM 1, AR 77, IL 251/351, CO 36/40, etc.). Wasn't the effin' point not having to maintain the road anymore?

Minnesota 952A :P

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on March 11, 2021, 07:17:10 PM

It's because they provide data to the marketing department so that they can increase sales through other means. The point is not to get people to buy more of the things that are on sale, but to have a means to track Customer #21226's buying history. Say many people who buy Product A also often buy Product B. Put A & B on the same endcap, and watch sales of both increase.

If you can weasel other means of contact out of the customer, like a mailing address or email, you can profit even more. Now you can start using algorithms on someone's individual product history to pick out promotions or coupons to send them. There was a case where someone was incensed to find out that Target was sending their daughter pregnancy-related promotions (like deals on pregnancy tests) out of the blue–turns out the daughter was pregnant, and Target's algorithm had figured it out by what she was buying before she even knew.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

noelbotevera

Quote from: jayhawkco on March 09, 2021, 12:31:12 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 08, 2021, 09:54:08 PM
-Restaurants that are closed on Sundays; if you're gonna pick a day to be closed, pick Tuesday. Everyone goes out on weekends.

Keep in mind Sundays are the days that the food delivery services don't deliver, so any food you order on a Sunday is less fresh than any other day of the week.  That's why a lot of nicer restaurants close.  Also, less people go out for dinner on a Sunday than a Tuesday.  You typically will do at least 2x the sales on Tuesday than Sunday.

Chris
I won't contest that food is less fresh on Sundays, but I will ponder this:

In my experience, Sundays are usually when most people have free time, as it is a weekend. I find it hard to justify a family night out when everyone is working. Now, whether families are more profitable than, say, the lunch rush hour on a Tuesday - I don't know, I haven't studied economics and there's definitely math to justify this; but what I do know is that families seem to spend more than a single adult or a couple.

Now of course there's religious reasons and you can't operate a restaurant 24/7, but it seems Mondays and Tuesdays have less customer traffic than Sunday.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kphoger

My guess is that the truth is somewhere in the middle:  the regular price is slightly higher and the discount price is slightly lower, enabling the profit margin to stay roughly the same.

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 11, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

-Restaurants that are closed on Sundays; if you're gonna pick a day to be closed, pick Tuesday. Everyone goes out on weekends.

Keep in mind Sundays are the days that the food delivery services don't deliver, so any food you order on a Sunday is less fresh than any other day of the week.  That's why a lot of nicer restaurants close.  Also, less people go out for dinner on a Sunday than a Tuesday.  You typically will do at least 2x the sales on Tuesday than Sunday.

I won't contest that food is less fresh on Sundays, but I will contest this:

In my experience, Sundays are usually when most people have free time, as it is a weekend. I find it hard to justify a family night out when everyone is working. Now, whether families are more profitable than, say, the lunch rush hour on a Tuesday - I don't know, I haven't studied economics and there's definitely math to justify this; but what I do know is that families seem to spend more than a single adult or a couple.

Now of course there's religious reasons and you can't operate a restaurant 24/7, but I do think Mondays and Tuesdays have less customer traffic than Sunday.

Do note that you just contradicted someone who–unless I'm mistaken–has worked in a restaurant environment for most of his life.  So you might want to think twice before dismissing his assertions about customer traffic in restaurants.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2021, 10:35:19 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on March 11, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

I won't contest that food is less fresh on Sundays, but I will contest this:

Now of course there's religious reasons and you can't operate a restaurant 24/7, but I do think Mondays and Tuesdays have less customer traffic than Sunday.

Do note that you just contradicted someone who–unless I'm mistaken–has worked in a restaurant environment for most of his life.  So you might want to think twice before dismissing his assertions about customer traffic in restaurants.
Certainly not seeking an argument or proving a point, simply finding an answer. Poor choice of words, me.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Frafra Zoomer

The way people here drive in all lanes.

I found out that in Germany, the Netherlands, etc. they stay in the right lane and only move to the left if the lane they're in is moving slower than they want to go. That's much more organized and safer, but ofc in California you have trucks in the middle lane and people cruising in the left lane

Scott5114

That's the law in most parts of the United States, too. But it's not often enforced, so people don't bother complying.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Frafra Zoomer on March 11, 2021, 11:51:59 PM

I found out that in Germany, the Netherlands, etc. they stay in the right lane and only move to the left if the lane they're in is moving slower than they want to go. That's much more organized and safer, but ofc in California you have trucks in the middle lane and people cruising in the left lane

I've heard passing on the right is a very, very serious traffic offense in some Euro countries, even on a multi-lane road. In the US it's usually acceptable to pass on the right around slow traffic and almost universally permitted by law.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 12, 2021, 02:28:42 AM

I've heard passing on the right is a very, very serious traffic offense in some Euro countries, even on a multi-lane road. In the US it's usually acceptable to pass on the right around slow traffic and almost universally permitted by law.

I've told many people over the years that the surest way to ruin your entire European vacation is to get caught passing someone on the right on a German autobahn.

Mike

webny99

Quote from: mgk920 on March 12, 2021, 03:25:08 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 12, 2021, 02:28:42 AM

I've told many people over the years that the surest way to ruin your entire European vacation is to get caught passing someone on the right on a German autobahn.

You shouldn't need to pass on the right, though, because everyone keeps right for the most part.

I have heard that, in Europe, if you're in the leftmost lane and approaching someone going slower than you, if you flash your lights they will move right ASAP. I'm not sure if it's true, but it does make sense.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 08:04:27 AM
I have heard that, in Europe, if you're in the leftmost lane and approaching someone going slower than you, if you flash your lights they will move right ASAP. I'm not sure if it's true, but it does make sense.

True here too. Quick flash of the high-beams usually gets someone out of the way. But then Washington has fairly strict keep-right rules, so people don't put up a fight.

kphoger

It's true in Mexico, and not because of strict law enforcement.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on March 12, 2021, 01:50:20 PM

True here too. Quick flash of the high-beams usually gets someone out of the way. But then Washington has fairly strict keep-right rules, so people don't put up a fight.

I've never seen that in this country, and if I did, I'd think someone was either in an emergency or wanted road rage.

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 03:15:39 PMI've never seen that in this country, and if I did, I'd think someone was either in an emergency or wanted road rage.

I've seen it here, but it seems to have gotten a lot less common in the past 15 years or so, I think because it is viewed as a trigger for road rage.

Europe has its own road-rage issues, but I think headlamp flashes play out a little differently because drivers are more thoroughly socialized not to obstruct others who want to pass (especially in Germany).  Also, when two cars meet from opposite directions, a flash from one is a signal for the other to go first.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 12, 2021, 03:54:10 PM
I've seen it here, but it seems to have gotten a lot less common in the past 15 years or so, I think because it is viewed as a trigger for road rage.

I've seen it here as well, but usually only by people who are driving quite a bit faster than everyone else.

Europe has its own road-rage issues, but I think headlamp flashes play out a little differently because drivers are more thoroughly socialized not to obstruct others who want to pass (especially in Germany).

That's my experience in Mexico.  Nobody gets upset at a flash of the headlights (or the more subtle left blinker turned on), because slower traffic keeping right is ingrained in the mind there–at least outside where there are only two lanes in each direction, whereas all bets are off with three or more lanes.

Also, when two cars meet from opposite directions, a flash from one is a signal for the other to go first.

That's true here as well, especially at a four-way stop.  In some other countries, however, a flash of the headlights means "I'm going first".
Male pronouns, please.

interstatefan990

Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 12, 2021, 01:50:20 PM

I've never seen that in this country, and if I did, I'd think someone was either in an emergency or wanted road rage.

American drivers are way too impatient for something like that. They'd sooner zip past in the right lane (without signaling, of course) before you even notice that you're holding them up.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2021, 03:59:42 PM
Also, when two cars meet from opposite directions, a flash from one is a signal for the other to go first.

That's true here as well, especially at a four-way stop. 

Good point. I had forgotten about four-way stops.

Now that I think about it, I can't help but wonder if the way the US interstate system was designed to serve urban areas as well as connect them plays into reduced willingness to adhere to KRETP in this country. Because of that, we've got a lot more urban and suburban freeways in this country, many of which are six or more lanes. When many drivers' interactions with freeways are in this context, it's much harder to instill KRETP in the consciousness than it would be if "freeway" was essentially a synonym for "rural four lane road where you can go as fast as you want".

mgk920

I'll sometimes flash my headlights at a vehicle that is in front of me in an adjacent lane to tell the driver that "I'm letting you in" so he/she can safely change lanes.

Mike

Bruce

Headlights on lifted vehicles that beam straight into your eyes, especially of the newer LED variety. They should be illegal.

renegade

Quote from: Bruce on March 13, 2021, 02:12:43 AM
Headlights on lifted vehicles that beam straight into your eyes, especially of the newer LED variety. They should be illegal.
Agreed.  As a side note, headlights should be able to be replaced without having to disassemble the front of the car. 
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2021, 03:59:42 PM
Europe has its own road-rage issues, but I think headlamp flashes play out a little differently because drivers are more thoroughly socialized not to obstruct others who want to pass (especially in Germany).

That's my experience in Mexico.  Nobody gets upset at a flash of the headlights (or the more subtle left blinker turned on), because slower traffic keeping right is ingrained in the mind there–at least outside where there are only two lanes in each direction, whereas all bets are off with three or more lanes.

Honestly, this is my experience here in Washington, too. "Cascadians", rather stereotypically, avoid conflict when possible, so putting up a fight or slipping into road rage from a high-beam flash is exceptionally rare. I really don't have too many issues with drivers hogging the left lane here either, and probably for the same "flight over fight" instinct that causes drivers to change lanes when they see a high-beam flash: people would just rather avoid conflict than engage with another driver, especially when "keep right except to pass" signs are plastered every couple miles along Seattle freeways and most drivers know the rule.

Now, a good 80% of my high-beam flashes are to acknowledge someone's blinkers and allow them into my lane, and probably another 10% are to let pedestrians know that I'm stopping for them (to let them cross the street). But the other 10% are flashing the left-lane sitters, and it honestly almost never fails me as long as I give them some warning and I make the flashes very brief (some drivers mistakenly hold the high beams on -- this is a huge mistake which almost universally annoys drivers).

kphoger

This one has no actual bearing on me, so it has no real right to bother me.  But it does anyway.

It's a gloomy sort of day.  It was raining an hour ago, but now it isn't anymore.  The sky looks like it might start raining again at any moment, but nothing's coming down.  Yet there you are with your windshield wipers on.  And not just the intermittent setting, but really and truly ON.  Why????  Your windshield hasn't been wet since before you left the house.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.